• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Putts Rolling Sooner??

Jeff Gallo

Swing Guru
Aug 26, 2004
I am looking for a new putter and i am noticing that a lot of putters claim to make the ball roll sooner, my question is not whether it happens or not but rather whether most golfers even want this to happen. We have all come so far with the ball skidding the first few feet of its roll, and most amatuers already dont read enough break in their putts, and needless to say the ball only takes the break after its rolling so rolling it sooner makes the shape of the arc we are all so used to seeing change significantly. Also most of us do not get to play on perfectly smooth putting surfaces and I belive that the more time the ball spends on the grass the greater chance there is of the ball being moved off of your intended line by imperfections in the green. My point is that the ball taking a more natural path wont make as many putts as the ball taking a path more like the one you intended. Am I crazy? help me out here guys.
thanks

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
If the ball skids at the begining, it'll have more chance that upon landing, the ball changes direction ever so slightly.
While if the ball rolls true from the start, it'll stay that way.
Anyways, that's how I perceive it. Just my 2 cents.

Davebud

Crackhead Zebra
Oct 31, 2005
I will add one more thought

What club in your bag causes you the most damage to your score other than your putter? (and yes its the G.D*mn clubs fault, certainly not mine:) ) Has to be the driver, followed in order by the lower lofted clubs in ascending order. My thought is that a low lofted club, once it gets the ball off the carpet has the least amount of control. The only club in most peoples bag with less loft than their Driver is their Putter. Just a thought.

Scotty01292

Mmmmmmmm..... Cake.......
Oct 16, 2005
Davebud said:
What club in your bag causes you the most damage to your score other than your putter? (and yes its the G.D*mn clubs fault, certainly not mine:) ) Has to be the driver, followed in order by the lower lofted clubs in ascending order. My thought is that a low lofted club, once it gets the ball off the carpet has the least amount of control. The only club in most peoples bag with less loft than their Driver is their Putter. Just a thought.

Actually, with me, it's my sand wedge...

Davebud

Crackhead Zebra
Oct 31, 2005
Hows That?

What is the problem with the sand wedge? And question #2 how do you like that Deep Red? Its one of the clubs I am looking at.

Scotty01292

Mmmmmmmm..... Cake.......
Oct 16, 2005
Basically, outta bunkers, I don't take enough sand, but when I'm from the fairway or rough, I get under the ball too much. I haven't a clue what's wrong.

The Deep Red's really good for the price. Nothing compared to TaylorMade, Ping etc. but considering it's a cheap-ish club which was released in 2003? it's really good. Compared to the drivers released at the same time which I tried, it's so much better.

Don

Aug 23, 2005
Jeff: Sorry, but I want my golf ball to start rolling as soon as I hit it. I don't want it of skid at all. That's why I designed and built my putter with a high center of gravity. With me design, the ball starts to roll right from the start, and never pops up into the air, like with most of the putters on the market. Why you would want the ball to skid, I have no idea.

🔥 Latest posts