• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

QuadTP VS Nike Sumo 5K/vs Proto

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I picked up a demo from the shop today. A Nike Sumo 5000 in a 9.5* with the VS Proto 65-S shaft. After warming up with my drills and irons, I put it head to head vs. the R7 QuadTP/Speeder 757S. This range is about 50ft. at least uphill from 200 to the top of the range, which is about 300-320yds.

1st I hit the Sumo off a fairly high tee, for me anyway as I use 2 3/4 tees so probably tee the ball a little over 2". Every shot was high hook out of 6 balls, longest about 230 with a 40yd. hook. Pulled out the R7 and off the same tee ripped 3 balls out over the 250 sign on the fly with about 1-2yd. draw. Very high ballflight and just hung out to dry. I should tee this thing high more often.

To be fair I hit a few other clubs then moved to a mat with a lower tee. This one probably just barely 2". I hit about a dozen shots with the Sumo. It liked the lower tee a lot better. I got it going pretty straight and then was able to hit some controlled cuts and a little draw. Ballflight was much lower now and carrying around 235-240. I was thinking "it's not half bad".... then the R7... total annihilation. Ballspeed coming off the Quad has to be at least 10mph faster. I ripped it up the middle landing a few yards shy of 250 then rolling 15-20yds. past a few times. Then I cut a few... more control than the Sumo as I could bring it in 10yds. left of the 250 and nearly plunk it 4-5 times in a row. Then setup draw. The first few only drew back a few yards, then got the feel for it and started moving them 15-20yds. right to left.

The Nike Sumo 5K is added to the list of drivers that just can't hang with the TM R7QuadTP.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
You have to be kidding?

The Sumo 5000 is getting some of the highest ball speeds around in LM testings. My own testing along with a bunch of other fitters I chat with all get the same results. The Sumo is top 3 current gen of clubs for ball speed in OEM offerings. You dont even want to know how far down the list the original r7 is, its honestly not in top 50 of clubs I have personally tested. You must be some kind of freak of nature to hit that thing further and better than anything else LOL. Maybe you changed a few properties of the steel during a stove top shaft change, who knows.
The new tour Burner I got to test last night was very impressive on the other hand. It may very well be the most impressive OEM driver I have hit, in both performance and looks. It is a sweet, sweet club.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Where does the DCT come in your little tests?

Btw, since when was 2" a 'low' tee!! I tee up with 1" above ground

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
You have to be kidding?

The Sumo 5000 is getting some of the highest ball speeds around in LM testings. My own testing along with a bunch of other fitters I chat with all get the same results. The Sumo is top 3 current gen of clubs for ball speed in OEM offerings. You dont even want to know how far down the list the original r7 is, its honestly not in top 50 of clubs I have personally tested.
The new tour Burner I got to test last night was very impressive on the other hand. It may very well be the most impressive OEM driver I have hit, in both performance and looks. It is a sweet, sweet club.
Yes, but the "Ezra 2008 model" launch monitor is a thing unto itself, and bears little semblance to other test platforms.

The "Ezra 2008", when properly calibrated with standardized "couch lifts" and "speed shifts" produces results that no other launch monitor can replicate.

The "Ezra 2008" - a launch monitor for the next generation (or is that 'last generation...")

:laugh:

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Where does the DCT come in your little tests?

Btw, since when was 2" a 'low' tee!! I tee up with 1" above ground

The top 5 for ball speed I have ever tested are

1 - Maltby CT250
2 - DCT and the new TM Tour Burner
3 - Sumo 5000
4 - Ping G10
5 - Ping Rapture

I also dont tee the ball up more than 1 inch tops.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I didn't measure the tees. They are just your avg. rubber range tees. One was a little long, one a little short. I don't see how the Sumo could have more ballspeed. It was pretty much dead off the face and sounded like hitting a tree with an aluminum bat. The Quad sounds like hitting a marble with an aluminum bat and the ball comes off like that as well. I was hitting the Sumo dead center, made sure of it but still the Quad destroyed it, not even within 10yds. on the best vs. worst hit.

BTW - I hit the Crapture last year and that thing was awful. It was 9*, um ok, I hit that thing so high it seemed like about a 16*. In a stiff I actually hit the 9* Crapture a lot higher than my bosses R5 draw with tip soft MAS2 Rflex in a 10.5*.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
I didn't measure the tees. They are just your avg. rubber range tees. One was a little long, one a little short. I don't see how the Sumo could have more ballspeed. It was pretty much dead off the face and sounded like hitting a tree with an aluminum bat. The Quad sounds like hitting a marble with an aluminum bat and the ball comes off like that as well. I was hitting the Sumo dead center, made sure of it but still the Quad destroyed it, not even within 10yds. on the best vs. worst hit.

No idea. The r7 getting bad ball speed numbers is not uncommon though. I know when I played the r7 personally it was 15-20 yards shorter than most driver I have played. It was easy as heck to hit straight I found but just not very long. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
No idea. The r7 getting bad ball speed numbers is not uncommon though. I know when I played the r7 personally it was 15-20 yards shorter than most driver I have played. It was easy as heck to hit straight I found but just not very long. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

It's got to be just different swings, shafts, launch and spin. I can't figure out how I hit the XTD so low compard to the R7 when the R7 has a shaft that is one of the lowest launch/spin shafts pretty much ever. I'd like to get the Quad on a monitor as I'm hitting it nearly as high as the FTi, which I was at like 14-15* launch but getting more carry and way more roll. It's got to be so close to optimal for me that's it not even worth trying to tweak. I shouldn't bash the Sumo, I'm hitting the Quad longer than any driver I've ever had so it's beating the likes of the R5TP, BurnerTP, Superquad, R510TP and the FTi as well.

I need to do crap like this to prevent hoing, lol. I had one bad round with the driver yesterday and ready to try anything. I was half thinking about buying another FTi last night... those thoughts are long gone now.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Go hit the new Tour Burner. It has really got me thinking of buying one, and I havent bought a brand new OEM driver in years. It is a terrific club, far, far better than the last burner.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Go hit the new Tour Burner. It has really got me thinking of buying one, and I havent bought a brand new OEM driver in years. It is a terrific club, far, far better than the last burner.

TP? I hit the regular one in the shop and it just felt very head light. I had a SS radar out and was only registering 102 with the thing. Part of the reason I took the Sumo out is because I hit 107 on the 1st swing and the next 5 as well. It felt solid and setup well in the shop, that's why you should demo though I guess.

Hopefully I'll not have any trouble taking it back. It's got a tiny handprint on the face now.... I mistakingly put the R7 back in the bag after ripping those 3 drives without the headcover on it. As I prepared to hit my 8i I heard a voice, sounded just like Samuel L., "this is my bag b!tch" and looked back to see the R7 backhand the Sumo right across the face, ouch.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
TP? I hit the regular one in the shop and it just felt very head light.

Not the tp, just the stock retail one. TM says they are D5 and on my scale it was pretty much dead on. I was pounding the crap out of it on the LM. When we went out and played both of us hit 2-3 shots farther than we ever have on certain holes. I hit 8 of 10 fairways with the damn thing. I am getting real close to talking myself into buying one.

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
Question for you Lyle: which ct250 is that, the flight control, the professional, etc?

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Not the tp, just the stock retail one. TM says they are D5 and on my scale it was pretty much dead on. I was pounding the crap out of it on the LM. When we went out and played both of us hit 2-3 shots farther than we ever have on certain holes. I hit 8 of 10 fairways with the damn thing. I am getting real close to talking myself into buying one.

I'll put on the list to try next. I hit it well the 1st time I hit it. I probably wasn't swinging all that well in the shop last time. You've seen my swing, not hard for that to get out of sync with a 45.5" 60g shaft.

I've got a TEE Proto with the VS70S coming tomorrow. After that I'll see. If the TEE beats the QuadTP though I'll be done for a while. All I'm looking for is the Quad ballflight and distance without the punishment on mishits. The thing is a cannon off the screws but mishits can get ugly quick. Although, truth be told, I hit a ball OB yesterday on a par 5. 1st ball I've lost since like April.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Not really questioning you Ezra, but can you really tell a 10 yard difference at 250 yards? I know I can't. Maybe there's some psychology at work here. You perceive that the Superquad is hitting further, for whatever reason. Or maybe you swing the clubs differently and get different results. I'm not saying you're not hitting the R7 further - just that you really haven't quantified anything.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Not really questioning you Ezra, but can you really tell a 10 yard difference at 250 yards? I know I can't. Maybe there's some psychology at work here. You perceive that the Superquad is hitting further, for whatever reason. Or maybe you swing the clubs differently and get different results. I'm not saying you're not hitting the R7 further - just that you really haven't quantified anything.

The range is uphill, you can see exactly where it's landing. When the Sumo is only halfway between the 200 and 250 and the R7 is past the 250, it's obvious.

🔥 Latest posts