• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Question ablut Precept Laddie Xtreme Balls?

golflover

Nov 27, 2006
Heard those are great balls for the price. Anyone have experience playing them? What did you like or dislike?

goatster

SUPER SOAKER
Feb 20, 2005
o bought a couple dozen this summer to try.but i still have a dozen and dont realy remeber using them.

about the time i went to use them i bought 2 dozen used Nike ones from here and swithced to those for the rest of the season.but i know they are a low compression ball.ill have to try them out this sping.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Heard those are great balls for the price. Anyone have experience playing them? What did you like or dislike?

The Laddie and Lady are supposed to have similar specs. The Precept Lady sort of initiated the low compression/longer distance fad. My experience, when compared to other similar balls on the market, find the Laddie and Lady only what I would call average. The Noodle is longer... The Titleist SoLo is longer and will spin a little more... I used to keep the found Laddies, but now they get tossed in with the Top Rocks and other rejects.

Many are found on our course, so know there are plenty of golfers playing them. So, please, take my comments as my own personal experience. Your mileage may vary!

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
I absolutely love the Lady. It used to be my favorite during cold weather. For slower swing speeds it will give you a lot that you will want, and at about 10 bucks a dozen, what more do you want? (Precent sales pitch off, :D)

OP
G

golflover

Nov 27, 2006
The Laddie and Lady are supposed to have similar specs. The Precept Lady sort of initiated the low compression/longer distance fad. My experience, when compared to other similar balls on the market, find the Laddie and Lady only what I would call average. The Noodle is longer... The Titleist SoLo is longer and will spin a little more... I used to keep the found Laddies, but now they get tossed in with the Top Rocks and other rejects.

Many are found on our course, so know there are plenty of golfers playing them. So, please, take my comments as my own personal experience. Your mileage may vary!

I thought that the noodle was not conforming... also what makes the Lady different than the Laddie? I don't hear about the Lady as much as with the Laddie. What other similiar balls are there? At about the same cost.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
The Noodle is definately conforming, and the Long and Soft is a very nice low compression ball. Much better than the Precept IMO.

Not meaning to rehash something from another thread, but I have to ask out of curiousity. At least to me, it doesn't make sense that if you have the distance to play off the Tips, that a low compression ball may not be the best choice for your game. Just my opinion, and something to consider. Then again, as Jeff said, it may not be bad this time of the year if you live in colder climates. Again, just curious.

OP
G

golflover

Nov 27, 2006
The Noodle is definately conforming, and the Long and Soft is a very nice low compression ball. Much better than the Precept IMO.

Not meaning to rehash something from another thread, but I have to ask out of curiousity. At least to me, it doesn't make sense that if you have the distance to play off the Tips, that a low compression ball may not be the best choice for your game. Just my opinion, and something to consider. Then again, as Jeff said, it may not be bad this time of the year if you live in colder climates. Again, just curious.

I have been playing the Wilson Staff True balls which seem to hit very long and I like the feel when I putt. Since they are no longer making them and my supply is running out, I am trying to find another ball that plays similar and I have tested the noodle and IMO it was not as long and it did not feel good putting. I found online somewhere that the Laddie was very similar to the Wilson Staff True. So just trying to get some opinions on the Laddie. I guess I will get some and test them out and get back to everyone and let ya know how it turns out.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I used to play the low compression but found the really good balls (HX Tour or ProV1) go much farther for me and are just more consistent. :)

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
gl, I've heard they're good balls so I picked up a 24 pack last night...hard to beat Wal-Mart's 19.99 price for 24 balls!!

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I had the same problem, the ball i LOVED they stopped making (Nike TA2) so I went on a search to find a new ball. I of course liked the feel of the premium balls sure but didnt want to pay that much. finally found that I liked "The Hawk" from Hogan....not that this helps at all...

obagain

Used club guru
Mar 29, 2005
The mc lady and senior were great balls. Once they changed from the mc they were not as good.
If you have mid to low swing speed or tend to mis hit a lot the low compression balls should work well for you.
They made the laddie because everyone complained about having to use a lady ball. The first laddie and lady balls were the same. Now they are different and not as good.

OP
G

golflover

Nov 27, 2006
gl, I've heard they're good balls so I picked up a 24 pack last night...hard to beat Wal-Mart's 19.99 price for 24 balls!!

What balls are you currently playing?

I was playing ProV1 but it was too expensive and I thought that it had too much spin. I tried ProV1x and love those but couldn't see spending that kind of money. They Wilson Staff True balls IMO hit similar to the ProV1x.

Does anyone else know of balls similar to the ProV1x but not as costly?

OP
G

golflover

Nov 27, 2006

Are you sure the ones you got are the Precept Laddie Xtreme? The cheapest I can find them online is 14.99 and that is for 12.

If so, I will test them out for that price.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
What balls are you currently playing?

I was playing ProV1 but it was too expensive and I thought that it had too much spin. I tried ProV1x and love those but couldn't see spending that kind of money. They Wilson Staff True balls IMO hit similar to the ProV1x.

Does anyone else know of balls similar to the ProV1x but not as costly?
If you are pretty long with your clubs, and have a higher swing speed you will likely be disappointed in the results of a ball that compresses at a lower speed. You would be better suited and benefit from a 3 piece, as is the Pro V1 and Pro V1x(edit 1 - Pro V1x is a 4 piece). Understand, the Pro V1x has a very high compression rating and unless you have extreme speeds and hit the ball extremely far, you will likely be just as disappointed as you would with a low compression ball, as you are likely not compressing the ball enough as opposed to too much. So unless you have a swing speed in excess of 110-115+ mph, the standard Pro V1 may be a better match. Where as the Noodle and Precepts that you mentioned are more designed for a driver speed around 80 mph for best results. If you do not know your speed, in general you will get about 2 1/2 yards per MPH with a driver on the average. Just do the math. If you hit your driver in the 250-275 range on the average, you would likely benefit from a 3 piece ball, with a mid compression rating.

I am assuming you hit the ball fairly well based on your earlier comments. So likely most 3 piece balls will do the trick. I doubt you will find many that will say there are cheaper ones that are as good as the Pro V1, but there are alot of 3 piece balls you will find at a cheap price. I usually have not trouble finding them in the $10-15 range on sale, and although I may lose a couple yards and give up a little spin, the fact that I can buy 3-4 dozen for the price of the Pro V1, it's worth it to me. If I played on any other course I would likely play the Pro V1 as I only usually go through a ball a round. However on my home course it is not unusual to go through a 1/2 dozen balls in a bad round, as it is tight quarters. So the Pro V1 is just to costly.

OP
G

golflover

Nov 27, 2006
Understand, the Pro V1x has a very high compression rating and unless you have extreme speeds and hit the ball extremely far, you will likely be just as disappointed as you would with a low compression ball, as you are likely not compressing the ball enough as opposed to too much.

I use to be concern a lot about compression but because of the various materials, cores, dimples, etc... I have given up on sticking with a certain compression. Sometimes the compression was what I was use to but it just didn't feel right.

You say that the Pro V1 has a high compression rate but the ball feels softer than my wilson true staff when hitting. Also I was hitting the 2 piece wilson staff true balls about 15-20 yrds further then the ProV1, a 3 piece ball. Why? I don't know. It just is.

I don't know what my swing speed is but I do drive the ball longer than 95% of those I have played with (includes walking on as a single). Distance varies a lot... wind and all. Sometimes over 300, sometimes around 275, Probably average in between.

Members online

No members online now.