• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Question about inconsistently....

alstott_27

Apr 1, 2008
I have been playing Golf now for 3 years the last year or two I have been getting more serious about getting better and spend the money and got nicer clubs. I have made a lot of improvement over the last year but my question is why do I hit some clubs consistently and hit other clubs inconsistently. For instance I was hitting my new Irons great my short game and chips shots were on target but I couldnt hit my hybrid or 3 wood very well at all. Once I took some time to get my woods down better I started hitting my wood/hybrid well and i felt very confident on the tee box. Well I played yesterday and my tee shots and hybrid shots where all in the air and for the most part straight, which is great cause it was a big improvement. But when i got to my 9-AW around the green shots where I normally cash in and hit money balls, I couldnt hit them i was blading the ball and hitting the ground and trickling the ball 5 feet in front of me. Its very frustrating, its like I can either hit your woods or your irons not both any suggestions?

Thanks.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I have been playing Golf now for 3 years the last year or two I have been getting more serious about getting better and spend the money and got nicer clubs. I have made a lot of improvement over the last year but my question is why do I hit some clubs consistently and hit other clubs inconsistently. For instance I was hitting my new Irons great my short game and chips shots were on target but I couldnt hit my hybrid or 3 wood very well at all. Once I took some time to get my woods down better I started hitting my wood/hybrid well and i felt very confident on the tee box. Well I played yesterday and my tee shots and hybrid shots where all in the air and for the most part straight, which is great cause it was a big improvement. But when i got to my 9-AW around the green shots where I normally cash in and hit money balls, I couldnt hit them i was blading the ball and hitting the ground and trickling the ball 5 feet in front of me. Its very frustrating, its like I can either hit your woods or your irons not both any suggestions?

Thanks.

Welcome to golf and all its frustrations! It's one of the mysteries of the game that rarely all the components come together ron one day.

Adam Pettman

Nov 3, 2005
Always practice with a variety of clubs, try not to focus completly on one area of your game.

jackerman

Apr 30, 2008
Well,

This is very normal for most all golfers.. You need to know that you have two different angles of attack... Up angle or sweeping with driver - fairway woods and hybrid’s. A down angle of attack with you Irons. With out seeing your swing I will say you don’t make many divots, but if you do that is the day you hit your irons well and woods bad. Then visa versa for the next day. This is an ongoing issue and just by knowing the golf turn (swing) this will help allot.

Hope this helps,

Jeffrey

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
You're asking about one of the enduring mysteries of this great game. It's why we as golfers admire really good players so much - because of their consistency. Many of us - even mid/high handicappers like myself - can hit the occasional shot that makes us think we can actually play the game. We might even start feeling confident in one part of our game or another. But there's always room for improvement. It's one of the reasons that golf is the greatest game there is.

twofast2s

Dec 30, 2006
in order for you to put your long game and short game together, you have to work at it.

people who are in single digit handicaps needs to swing every day pretty much. even they can't score in the 70's if they haven't practiced for a long time. (don't get me wrong, it can be done, but easier if they've practiced and tuned their swing)

there were many times when my long game was stellar, but my short game wasn't. or vice versa. lately i've been working on my short game, and my long game is suffering. so it takes discipline, hard work, and focus.

some people are more gifted than others and could tune their body w/o much of practice. not me..

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Longer clubs require flatter swing plane, which feels a bit different. That's why you can feel stellar with the short clubs and doof the long ones, or vice versa. Use a few practice swings to remember where you want the club coming around. Longer club is a flatter swing.

And for the record, swing hybrids like irons. Do NOT hit "on the upswing" like Jackerman suggested. This is why people find hybrids hard to hit. Hit them just like they're irons.

Stanters

Trinket King
Aug 13, 2006
A good way to incorporate the full bag into a practice session is to "play" your home course on the range. Just imagine you are playing 1-18 and select the clubs accordingly. It's a good way of using a basket of 50 and beats smacking 50 drivers all over the place.

I know Faldo used to do this and he did OK for a while.

OP
A

alstott_27

Apr 1, 2008
Thanks for all the replies. Practice is what makes a difference so it will just need more course time and practice. I like golf so much because it is individual and everyone plays it differently and everyone has their strengths and weakness and once you tie it all in, you can play pretty good. Golf is great because of its difficulty but also its simplicity. Thanks guys im gonna just keep hackin away and i will let you know how my game fairs. Thanks agian.

swingsmooth

Apr 24, 2008
Thanks for all the replies. Practice is what makes a difference so it will just need more course time and practice. I like golf so much because it is individual and everyone plays it differently and everyone has their strengths and weakness and once you tie it all in, you can play pretty good. Golf is great because of its difficulty but also its simplicity. Thanks guys im gonna just keep hackin away and i will let you know how my game fairs. Thanks agian.

You might try narrowing your stance a bit for the shorter irons. There are differing opinions on this technique but the idea is that a narrower stance for your wedges and short irons combined with ball position more in the center of your stance will promote your hitting down on the ball more. Make sure to stay down on the shot ll the way through and resist the tendancy to look up before your shoulders pull your head around at finish.

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
These guys have covered all the bases..From my experiences, now you start working on the mental part of the game. getting the different shots working together.

jackerman

Apr 30, 2008
And for the record, swing hybrids like irons. Do NOT hit "on the upswing" like Jackerman suggested. This is why people find hybrids hard to hit. Hit them just like they're irons.

Just for clairifacation This is what Rick Martino Had to say about Hybrid's

"The swing used with the hybrids is different than with the long irons. Typically the ball position is toward the front foot and the swing path is a shallow, sweeping motion, similar to a fairway wood. Then the ball is struck like a fairway wood with no divot."

JAckerman

Jake H

Apr 2, 2008
I don't own or use hybrids so I can't really comment on those.

But with fairway woods it definitely is best to swing with a slight descending blow. It's not as pronounced as an iron swing, but it is still descending. Go to Youtube and search for "adam scott fairway" and watch the first video that shows up.

Jake

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Just for clairifacation This is what Rick Martino Had to say about Hybrid's

"The swing used with the hybrids is different than with the long irons. Typically the ball position is toward the front foot and the swing path is a shallow, sweeping motion, similar to a fairway wood. Then the ball is struck like a fairway wood with no divot."

JAckerman

This is completely wrong in my experience. I don't think it's worth playing any ball off the fairway farther ahead than having the clubhead directly in the center of your stance, with the ball slightly forward. If you play a ball forward, you're forced to sway forward to get the bottom of your swing arc to coincide with the ball position.

My best hybrid shots come from swinging them just like they're an iron. And a lot of the trouble I've seen people have with hybrids comes from them swinging it like they think an FW is supposed to be swung; no divot, with the ball forward.

If Rick's technique works for you, by all means go for it. But to hit a high soft hybrid shot, I really don't think there's any other way than playing it near center, like a long iron. That is, unless you have a sway more than a rotation.

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
It's not up anymore since they are now defunct, but Sonartec used to have an excellent video tutorial page hitting hybrids from all sorts of lies.

For a regular fairway lie, they advocated hitting your hybrid like a 5 iron in both ball position and swing arc. Since I started doing that a season ago I have been hitting my hybrids longer and straighter.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.