• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

question for my canadian friends

twofast2s

Dec 30, 2006
my dad's traveling to canada next week or so, and had few questions

if you can provide me w/ ans, i'd really appreciate it.

1. can he still use his visa debit card? like at a gas station? how will the currency exchange take into consideration?
2. will he be able to spend US dollar (cash)?
3. does he have to dial out for calling someone in canada? how would he dial it?

these are only things i can think of right now. i'll post more later if i remember it.
thanks!

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
debit card will work anywhere they accept visa, which is basically everywhere. Wherever he uses his debit card in canada, they will take x Canadian dollars instead of American dollars out of his account.

Not sure of the American cash or the phone.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
my dad's traveling to canada next week or so, and had few questions

if you can provide me w/ ans, i'd really appreciate it.

1. can he still use his visa debit card? like at a gas station? how will the currency exchange take into consideration?
2. will he be able to spend US dollar (cash)?
3. does he have to dial out for calling someone in canada? how would he dial it?

these are only things i can think of right now. i'll post more later if i remember it.
thanks!

Im not from canada but if he tries to use his cell phone he could get hammered with all sorts of messed up fees like international calling and come home with a bill thats like $300. If he plans to use his cell phone have him call the company and just double check about that.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
The little experience I have with this was in Niagara Falls, or Kingston, so it may be a little different if he goes further from the border. We mainly used our AMEX, and while we signed for the Canadian dollar it would reflect on our bill for the American conversion. Kinda nice way to do it if they take cards. Let the credit card company deal with it for you.

As far as cash, being that close to the border most would deal in either American or Canandian. Most would change in American, some would take American and change in Canadian, others would do both but in the effort to make a few extra bucks would simply tell you they would change in American but not calculate the exchange rate. If you are further away from the border and find many places do not take American, simply go to a bank or usually your Hotel will do exchange to a degree.

I usually just try to use card as much as possible, then if I do use cash and they exchange Canadian I would pay with that the next time around. Usually on the cash, if I was in the store simply buying an item or two, I didn't even ask. I just offered American and gave the impression I didn't know any better and that was all I had. Then they could decide if they wanted my business. I also made it a point to carry more 5's and 10's than normal so I didn't leave with alot of Canadian, and they wouldn't have to make alot of change. Then just used the Canadian to tip at the hotel and courses to get rid of it before coming back.

Again though, most hotels would also likely exchange it for you when you come or before you leave.

edit 1 - Actually I do also have a Prepaid phone, and it seemed to only charge normal rate. But since we were also right off the falls it likely could have even been picking up towers on the US side??? Kinda nice option there, I figured they could only hit me with so many charges for what was on the phone. I believe most phones and services have a way to temporarily disable either international calling, may be worth checking into and doing, then if you can't make the call without getting hit with the charges you would know. But the provider would be able to likely answer that for sure. If he's worried he could pick up a cheap prepaid phone if that is an option. My phone is also unlocked, so if I intended to make alot of calls I could have bought a prepaid one in Canadan and used the sim card in my phone probably.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Cell- If he has verizon, it wont work in Canada. it'll be roaming and he'll be able to accept calls but wont be able to dail out.

cash- if he's near the border a fair amount of ppl will let it fly, but dont be arrogant, just change for cdn or use you credit card.

Debit Visa- I have the same thing and used mine both as a debit and credit while back home, some ppl will think its a debit and some will think its a credit and ask u for ID. They dont give u the option though. As long as they accept visa your all good there.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Debit in Canada and the States is entirely different. Visa works anywhere.

Just have him get $100 spending cash and use his Visa everywhere else. The exchange on CC's is very reasonable.

Cell phones is a whole ball of wax. It might work in Ontario, but it won't work in Manitoba. It'll work in Saskatchewan, but not in New Brunswick. And, all of that depends on YOUR provider.

My cell has worked in every state I've had it in, and roaming was very cheap.

R35

SplooGe

Supporting Member
Jan 7, 2007
If he has att have him call 611 and ask about their international plans. they have a free one and anoter that is like $5 for a month. Just don't forget to cancel when he gets back. I forgot after our last trip to Mexico and ended up paying for it 2 months before I actually read the bill.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
I hate how there are so many diff providers, and different in both countries, wat a waste.

I know that verizon doesnt work in BC, but it may work in Ontario since its bigger economy and so many more americans coming up there.

A prepaid cell would be a good idea.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
just use the credit card everywhere. I go to canada prolly 10 times a year and don't bother with the monopoly money anymore ;)

OP
twofast2s

twofast2s

Dec 30, 2006
thanks for the replies

he'll be heading to calgary, AB

for business and probably stay couple of months there.

King Par

Supporting Member
Apr 15, 2007
He'll love it.

Calgary's an awesome place. I like it there. Awesome terrain.

OP
twofast2s

twofast2s

Dec 30, 2006
okay, one more question

my dad will be taking his trailer and equipments. i found out that he'll get taxed on it, but now how much. how does this work? they are all used items that he uses for his work.

thanks!

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
okay, one more question

my dad will be taking his trailer and equipments. i found out that he'll get taxed on it, but now how much. how does this work? they are all used items that he uses for his work.

thanks!

Taxed? How's that? If they're work tools, he won't get taxed on it. He might need to provide an inventory and show them that he still has everything when he gets back.

Well, if he gets back. Calgary is a super growing city. Absolutely nuts.

R35

OP
twofast2s

twofast2s

Dec 30, 2006
Taxed? How's that? If they're work tools, he won't get taxed on it. He might need to provide an inventory and show them that he still has everything when he gets back.

Well, if he gets back. Calgary is a super growing city. Absolutely nuts.

R35

can the inventory be typed on a piece of paper or hand written? is there a specific form?

it seems like he might be actually moving there. he'll know better after couple of months in calgary though.

what are some things that he needs to prepare for crossing the border? and stuff to watch out for?

thanks again. you guys been a huge help! my dad thanks you guys.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.