• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Question for PING experts

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
or just plain old PING spurts.

My iron striking has gotten so bad, that I am seriously considering buying some PING irons. :bang:

I am considering G2HL, G5, G10.

How big a difference is there amongs these? Enough to justify the cost?

I really think I need a fitting, both to decide on the shaft, as well as the dynamic lie fitting, but I'm not sure I can do that anytime soon.

I REALLY need some lessons, not to mention some ***** talent. :(

bryguy

May 15, 2008
You can to ping's website and do a 'virtual' fitting there. You need to take some measurements, but they are pretty straight forward. Then you can look around knowing your 'color' code and see what is out there. Perhaps others can chime in on the difference between the differences in all the G family irons. I can not help you there.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
You can grab new G5's for a great price. Not sure that a whole lot changed from the G5 to G10. The was more of change from the i5 to i10 irons.

Since your tranisitioning from blades, the i10's would be less of a shock to the visual system with a lot of forgiveness still built into them. WBL swears by his S series irons (S58?) which are even more of a players club look to them.

From what I have seen of the G5's and G10's, I would probably opt to give the G5's a go as the price differential is significant at the moment.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Shut up Adam!! :D

G5's suck. Neither sssmokin nor I liked them. The G10's are really good (sssmokin loves his) but don't ignore their "players"(?) irons. I love my S59's and the S58's or S57's are probably even better.

If you like a thin top line and not alot of offset but still a fairly forgiving iron check them out. You can pick up a like new set of S59's for $300-$350.

Global has this set of S58's 5-PW for $314

http://www.globalgolf.com/product/golfclub/-/pid--1004384/iron-set/ping/s58.aspx?gd=3

OP
SiberianDVM

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
According to the PING website, Dick's Sporting Goods here in Augusta does fittings; inside only though, with a launch monitor. Before I throw more money away, I think I ought to try a fitting somewhere..........

jiffypop

Mar 5, 2009
Ping Expert Here

The G10 irons are excellent and paired with the TCH graphite shafts they are unstoppable. Remember that if you are buying new, go get fitted and remember you can order whatever mix of clubs you want. The Hybrid 3 and 4 irons are increadibly easy to hit and and the wedges are still manufactured with the U grooves for more spin.

Happy shopping

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Understand the "G" series irons you mention are worlds apart from the Apex irons now in your bag. The single biggest difference you will see is the wide flanges on the "G" series.

The G2HL's are almost like hybrids and have a tremendous amount of offset. The G5's have really wide flanges and many folks thought them "chunky". The G10's reduced the amount of offset and, slightly, reduced the width of the flange. Of the three, the G10 would give you the less "shock factor" after playing the Hogans.

Ping's site will give you the location of fitting carts near you. See if you can find a fitter who has some "I" series irons. The I5's were great! And, as WBL mentions, the "S" series is quite easy to hit compared to most blade irons out there. Either the "I" series... 3, 5, or 10... or the "S" series... 57, 58, or 59... might be a huge step forward from the Apex irons.

Also remember the Eye 2 and Eye 2+ lines are classics that are still quite playable. The choices with Ping are many!! Get fitted... Get Pings... Get back to enjoying this great game with the irons that the Good Lord, himself, would play if given the chance!!!:smilie_pi:smilie_pi:smilie_pi

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
There is a multitude of options at your disposal before going to Pings. We all know that you don't need game improvement irons like Pings Doc. And yes, even the G10's are game improvement.

Grab some Titleist AP1's, 735.CM's or pretty much any Mizuno MX series iron. That way when you get your game back (and you will) you wont be stuck with lameass Pings and you'll still look like a golfer. ;)

OP
SiberianDVM

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
There is a multitude of options at your disposal before going to Pings. We all know that you don't need game improvement irons like Pings Doc. And yes, even the G10's are game improvement.

Grab some Titleist AP1's, 735.CM's or pretty much any Mizuno MX series iron. That way when you get your game back (and you will) you wont be stuck with lameass Pings and you'll still look like a golfer. ;)

I have a set of Mizuno MX-11s that I hit well for a while, but I mistakenly put the wrong size grips on them and now they feel like ****. So I guess the 1st thing to do is regrip them and see if that helps.

If I still can't hit them, then I will demo some PINGS, G10s or i10s.

Money is no object. :D

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
I have a set of Mizuno MX-11s that I hit well for a while, but I mistakenly put the wrong size grips on them and now they feel like ****. So I guess the 1st thing to do is regrip them and see if that helps.

If I still can't hit them, then I will demo some PINGS, G10s or i10s.

Money is no object. :D

Good call on the MX-11's, if you've played them well in the past then logic says you can do it again. And I'm sure you've got the game to grind it out with the Mizzy's before resorting to the shovels.

If money is no object then man up and buy some Miura's. If you're gonna hit the ball like shit (and you probably still will with the Pings) then it may as well feel half decent while your doing it! :laugh:

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.