• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Question for Scotty Experts....

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
I don't know, I admit, I do well with putters. It just is so beyond me why someone would even spend 100 dollars, putter is 99% talent.

I don't understand that either.
I can see someone having a preference for a blade style over a mallet but either type can be picked up all day long for under $50.

I personally think it all comes down to a placebo effect. Someone buys an expensive assed putter that the pro's use & automatically it goes into their head that now they are a putting machine. The putter really does become a crutch & perhaps because you spent so much money you actually practice with it more & perhaps put just a tiny bit more effort into making the thing work.

BTW the pro's are sponsored & given their putters, if they were sponsored by Acuity or Maxfli they could make one of those cheap assed putters work just as well. In Tigers hands a 2x4 would be just as effective as a Scotty.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
That's where I'm at Wi.

I know putting is feel, but really, if you've the proper putter stroke and ability, it doesn't matter an ounce for almost all standard putters.

Oh, and nice avatar Wi.

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
BTW the pro's are sponsored & given their putters, if they were sponsored by Acuity or Maxfli they could make one of those cheap assed putters work just as well. In Tigers hands a 2x4 would be just as effective as a Scotty.

don't you think Nike has already tried to get a 2x4 into Tiger's hands? or any number of other things hoping to pry those scottys out of his hands

i agree to an extent that it's still the indian, not the arrow (i'm playing a ping putter, but after Wishon's new putter fitting book comes out, I'll probably order a Slighter) but I do see why people enjoy "fine" putters

not that much different than restoring an old car or collecting antique firearms...in my opinion, the Slighters (and some of the scottys) just look special and may be worth owning (not the same as my other 13 clubs, but hopefully you get the picture)

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Oh, if you want a Scotty just because you like the collector value of it, whatever, I don't care.

But if you want a Scotty because it's the only thing that you putt well with..well...learn to putt.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
I can putt just fine with most putters most likely, but my scotty works best so hush up:D

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
don't you think Nike has already tried to get a 2x4 into Tiger's hands? or any number of other things hoping to pry those scottys out of his hands

Golfers are just as superstitious as anyone else, or if they see someone who is putting well & they have a certain putter which is obviously the only reason that person is out putting them...well then they must have one also.

Once a pro gets used to a certain club & they hit it well, they really don't ever want to change. None of us here & I do mean NONE needs a Scotty to putt well. As Jeff posted if you want just because you think they are cool or collectible, well thats cool. But don't try & bs anyone that a Scotty is a requirement to putt well.

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
I understand what you're saying - but I think I've also heard stories of the 5 or 7 putters Cameron made for Tiger and he only kept 2 or something - the rest he didn't like - I've also read that Tiger can detect a 1gram difference in a putter head (most people can't tell the difference between a couple of swingweights, let alone a single gram)

would he still out-putt me with a 2x4? absolutely - is he better with his own putter? yes

I agree that you should be able to putt with anything, but if one putter feels better than another and that leads to more confidence and better putting, i don't care who throws away $x hundred or thousand dollars

I disagree about golfers being superstitious - maybe to an extent, but as the sponsorship dollars have shown us, they can all be bought when it comes to equipment

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
Forged irons feel better than cast - to most people. That makes them universally accepted as "better". A set of Forged irons cost more than equivalent cast irons. It costs more to maufacture and people will pay for better stuff.

Milled putters feel "better" to most people when trying them out head to head with a cast putter. All milled putters are expensive, Cameron, Bettinardi, Mills, Slighter, Palombi, Byron, Webb, even the milled Ping & Odyssey putters. It's expensive to carve a putter out of a solid block of steel, and they'll all run $300 - $400 depending on a lot of Factors.

This thread originally asked the question, why do Napa's cost so much. To start with, they're a milled Cameron putter, next is they're a very attractive looking putter, (Napa's do look cool), thirdly they're relatively rare. If you have more buyers than sellers of anything, prices will go up.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Ah, but Wirehair, the physics and workings of putting is mountains apart from that of hitting shots.

All I'm saying is, if you think your putting well is contingent solely on getting a Cameron, you need to learn to putt. If it helps a little bit, cool, makes sense, but some people swear they are the only putter that is worth using. They are...well...FOOLS.

Stanters

Trinket King
Aug 13, 2006
I use a Scotty because they feel the best to me and the price doesn't put me off at all. I can putt fairly well with my old Anser but better with my SC, simple as. I certainly don't feel that only a Cameron will work for me but it just works best.

Putters are so personal I wouldn't make judgements on what other people use through some kind of warped prejudice.

I can putt without having 2 white circles to help me line up too :)

wirehair

Apr 29, 2005
Jeff:

I think putting is all about confidence, in your stroke and your putter. If you don't believe that 20 footer is going in it probably won't. I believe my Cameron will help me and it does. Whether I putt better because A Scotty is best, or because I just think it is becomes a different question. It works for me and a whole lot of other folks. Perception is reality.

Not all Scotty's work for me. I love the look of a Napa or a Santa fe, but the weighting and balance is wrong for my stroke. I putt well with a Futura, but they're just ugly.

Your 2-ball works for you, but how many rounds have you played with a quality milled putter that suits your stroke? Not in the store under controlled conditions, but on the grass in the big blue room. I can't tell you which manufacturer/model to try, but roll a few with an open mind, you may be able to shave a couple of strokes.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Ah, but Wirehair, the physics and workings of putting is mountains apart from that of hitting shots.

Yes, but putting is a lot more about feel. If a milled putter allows you to feel where you ball is striking the face better than an ultralight 2-ball with a soft insert and allows you to correct your stroke for distance and on center hits for a better putting stroke is it worth it?

I own 5 Camerons (along with another 10-15 putters :laugh:) and they are the best feeling putters I have ever owned. I have never payed more than $225 for any of the 5, and was able to score one for $50, another for $90, and my current gamer for $125. More importantly, my putting stokes per round is down 3-5 strokes per round since I switched over to a Cameron 2 years ago. I have tried to duplicate the feel through various other combinations of heads, shafts, and grips but have been unable to do so.

Putting is all about feel. If you can sink more putts with a 2 X 4, play it. If you sink more putts with a $5 bargain barrel putter, play it. If you sink more putts with a $500 putter, play it.

If you can sink more putts with a cheap putter, great, you saved some cash. Arguing that a $300 putter is overpriced and does not work any better than a $30 putter is senseless. Just because that putter works for you doesn't mean that it will work for someone else. I was a total Cameron hater until I started putting with one. I could not understand why anyone would pay that much for a putter until I hit one. For me, I have been unable to match the distance control I get with a Cameron. Less 3 putts, more 1 putts, and a feel that is unmatched IMHO.

Try'em all, play with what works for you.

twofast2s

Dec 30, 2006
i think putting is mostly skills. i'd say 90% and rest of them is set up, like the length and weight of the putter.

i had 4 different putters past year, and i've used the scotty for the longest, not because it's "scotty" but i think the way scotty balance their putters is better suited for me. so i could either take long time for my stroke to "fit" the putter, or buy a putter that "fits" my stroke. and besides, it's an excuse to ho something. i still have over 32putts/round, and sometimes it gets really bad, but i had my best days of putting w/ my scotty. although, one of the worse and the best ones are all in my head.

i'm w/ jeff w/ putter costing over 300+ because i have limited budget. but if i had lot of money, i would buy one of those circle T scottys. but it'll be for collection purpose.

oh and another thing, people do stupid things when they are desperate. i was desperate to putt better, so and got a putter that i regret buying. if the budget's not an issue, i can see people buying 300+ dollar putters ;)

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Your 2-ball works for you, but how many rounds have you played with a quality milled putter that suits your stroke? Not in the store under controlled conditions, but on the grass in the big blue room. I can't tell you which manufacturer/model to try, but roll a few with an open mind, you may be able to shave a couple of strokes.

I've had a low of 21 putts in a round with my 2Ball, and 23 with my old 15 dollar carbite, it wouldn't have mattered.

A Cameron won't shave strokes, ego and misconception will.

wirehair

Apr 29, 2005
WOW! 21 putts is something like 15 one putt greens, that's some mighty fine shooting.

I've had a low of 21 putts in a round with my 2Ball, and 23 with my old 15 dollar carbite, it wouldn't have mattered.

A Cameron won't shave strokes, ego and misconception will.

🔥 Latest posts