• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Question for SiberianDVM.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
Doc, we have had a Jack Russel for 3 years now, he is about 8 years old & has been the most perfect dog anyone could ever hope to get. Anyways my wife just picked up a 2 year old Pug from a lady at her work, basically she can't afford the dog & her kid on a crummy walmart salary.

I know nothing about Pugs but my wife has said for years she wanted one & nowe I guess we have one. He seems like a cool little dog but dumb as a rock, doesn't respond to his name, won't sit, etc etc so some training is in order. We have to take him in for shots & a checkup because this girl has no paperwork at all, she only had the dog a month. Supposedly he is a purebred & was used for breeding by his 1st owner but we have nothing to prove that & really don't care. he isn't neutered but will be.

Questions I have are, is there any age limit on getting a dog neutered? Do pugs typically make good pets around children? We only have our grandchildren & they aren't here all that much anymore. Lastly & this may sound stupid but I haven't heard the dog bark, are pugs as a breed relatively quiet? My Jack is a very quiet dog & that's one of the things I love about him.

Thanks.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
Hey, Wi

Pugs make very good pets. About the only things bad about them are their snoring and their bug eyes, which are quite fragile. Very prone to corneal injuries and ocular proptosis. I don't know that I have ever heard one bark, just pant a lot.

Two years old is certainly no to old to neuter, assuming no health problems. Good luck and I'm sure he will turn into a good pet.

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
they're difficult to fly with too :) most airlines don't want them because they can barely breathe on the ground, let alone in the air

King Par

Supporting Member
Apr 15, 2007
they're difficult to fly with too :) most airlines don't want them because they can barely breathe on the ground, let alone in the air

It's alright, Wi will just double with the Pug on his Harley whenever they travel....

awww.dogbreed_gifts.com_pug_cards_pug_motorcycle.jpg

OP
Wi-Golfer

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Thanks.
So far he seems to be pretty good, follows me all over the yard & house. Now my Jack is jealous & if you pet one they both need attention.

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Thanks.
So far he seems to be pretty good, follows me all over the yard & house. Now my Jack is jealous & if you pet one they both need attention.

When got our second dog the other was jealous for months. Your Jack will need some extra attention or you might find a present in your shoes. :p

OP
Wi-Golfer

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
When got our second dog the other was jealous for months. Your Jack will need some extra attention or you might find a present in your shoes. :p

Yea, I am trying to give him a littel extra, let him know he is still #1. Going to have to separate them for eating though, have 2 bowls & my jack wants to eat both of them, won't leave the pugs food alone.

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Yea, I am trying to give him a littel extra, let him know he is still #1. Going to have to separate them for eating though, have 2 bowls & my jack wants to eat both of them, won't leave the pugs food alone.

One thing I did that seemed to help was to go for a walk or run with just him. Didn't have a problem with the food but we've always just left a bowl of dry food out and they eat when they're hungry.

If it was canned food I think they would both eat until they died.

OP
Wi-Golfer

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
So far so good, I do have to keep the Jack out of the room when the Pug eats otherwise he butts in & wants to eat it all himself.

Took the Pug to the vet yesterday for his shots, got basically everything becuase I don't have any history on what he already had. Got heartworm pills for him & the jack as well as he had to get some pills for 30 days to clear up some crap he got from ticks. We don't have any ticks in our yard as it's fenced & our jack has never had them. But the poor little pug had 6-7 on him when we took him to the vet, I had never actually seen one & they are frickin gross!!! Applied frontline to both dogs also just in case & everything should be just fine. $245 total at the local vet which actually is about $70-80 cheaper than if we had taken him into Madison where the jack used to go.

OP
Wi-Golfer

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Thought I would toss a couple pics of the beasties up.
100_0837.jpg
100_0840.jpg
100_0842.jpg

OP
Wi-Golfer

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
LOL - my thoughts exactly. My pooch is 95lbs and waaaaaaaaay past the cute stage. These guys are adorable

The black lab I owned a long time ago was 90 lbs, I would rather have the smaller dogs now days. The jack weighs 26 right now & the Pug is 20.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
That is an adorable Jack Russel, Pug is cute too.

My girl is getting big, :( She's looking ever the part of English Bulldog, wrinkly, snores a lot, and stubborn as a pack mule.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.