• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Question for swing guru's

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
One of the things I am trying to do is "finish" my swing (driver only) better. In other words, I'm not "consistently" following through (releasing right hand and good hip turn) and I was watching Natalie Gulbis (yummy) swing now for a few months and it looks like right at moment of contact she kind of like "drops" her head toward the ball which "seems" to make her come through nice. Is that just a glitch in her swing or is that why she does that? Anyway, thanks ahead of time for any ideas. :)

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Very talented players do strange things,they can swing anyway they want to because they have incredible talent,but you wouldn't teacg her awful dip to any other player,neither would you try and stop it in her swing.

keep the body turning,try not to get armsy,its the body that must rotate through

cypressperch

Jun 24, 2006
Toledo Bend Lake, Louisiana
Country
Dave has mentioned the most important item

which is to keep turning through the shot. You swing to the finish rather than swing at the ball. We have all heard about how the ball just happens to be in the way. The ball is a reference point for alinement and for keeping things in place during the swing, but it is in on way a stopping or slowing down point.

For fifteen or sixteen years, my focus has been on the big muscles (shoulders) being the engine of the swing, and others concentrate on the arm-swing. When it comes to the idea of "keep turning through the shot" it just seems to me that that is best accomplished by thinking of turning the shoulders. If you maintain connection (keep the head-cover in the left arm pit), your clubhead will come automatically to the inside shortly after impact as it should.

Having said that, I also like the idea of "hitting the ball" with the back of the left hand (perhaps with some suppination in the left wrist). As you go through impact, the left hand rotates so that the left palm faces the sky. This helps make a good release of the club allowing the right hand to pass over the left. Get this timed with the shoulder turn, and you are well on the way to maximizing your potential for power and accuracy both.

How far to go before you finish your follow through will be determined by one's flexibility. Tiger and the other flat bellies are turning a lot more than was previously taught. Previously, you turned until your belt buckle faced your target and your shoulders were close to square as you looked at the target. Now, the flexible ones have turned their shoulders to the point that their back is just about parallel to the target line. At sixty-one, I am sticking with the old way.

It is good to maintain your posture all the way through the shot. Here I am talking about retaining at least some of the tilt in the spine you have towards the ball at address. This will keep you from both lowering your body (fat shots) and raising up (thin shots). As the right shoulder passes under your chin as you hit through the shot, you allow the head to rotate so that the right side of your face seems to be resting on an invisable pillow. This makes it easier to retain that spine angle. Also, the head can move foward toward the target after impact. It is not good on the back to try to maintain that horrible reverse "C" thing.

Sincerely, Cypressperch

gwlee7

Ho's from Rocky Mount, NC
Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2005
WBL,

If I were going to looking at young, nubile female golfers for good impact and follow through positions, I would use Paula Creamer. I really like how she maintians her spine angle well past impact and therefore is always hitting down and through the ball.

Regardless, you could make a gwlee7 sandwich using these two nice looking young ladies as the bread anytime.

bryank

Rastagolfarian
Nov 22, 2006
Hehe, swing aside, God Bless Gulbis! She alone finally has my wife interested in golf just from watching her show ;)

Merry Christmas!

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
One of the things I am trying to do is "finish" my swing (driver only) better. In other words, I'm not "consistently" following through (releasing right hand and good hip turn) and I was watching Natalie Gulbis (yummy) swing now for a few months and it looks like right at moment of contact she kind of like "drops" her head toward the ball which "seems" to make her come through nice. Is that just a glitch in her swing or is that why she does that? Anyway, thanks ahead of time for any ideas. :)

I'm usually looking alittle farther south.:)

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Watched her this weekend playing in the LPGA vs. the Champions tour vs. the PGA and man is that nice to look at. If Paula Creamer would have been there I would have awarded the LPGA the win just on looks. Short skirt....bending over...must not watch....can't stop looking...short skirt...arghh!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hunter:

ol-crank

Oct 28, 2006
I think it was Paula Creamer that described her coach asking her to go left to left where the front of her left shoulder would turn on the backswing until pointing behind her and finish the swing with the back of the shoulder pointing behind her. I sure wouldn't go after Natalie's swing as I think she is off on her own, something like Jim Furyk.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Watched her this weekend playing in the LPGA vs. the Champions tour vs. the PGA and man is that nice to look at. If Paula Creamer would have been there I would have awarded the LPGA the win just on looks. Short skirt....bending over...must not watch....can't stop looking...short skirt...arghh!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hunter:

I don't want to know where the arghh came from, or why it's there.

Anywho, as everyone knows, Paula Creamer is my favorite female golfer, and thus, I watch her...a lot. :D

🔥 Latest posts