• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Question for the Ping peeps in the room

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
Good morning everyone,

Just by chance really I stumbled upon a used sporting equipment store this past week while out for lunch. I noticed the wall of golf clubs inside so of course found my way in. Although really unorganized which added to the charm I found complete sets of Eye2 irons as well as Zing2. Both leftie, both for under $100.

My question to the Ping fans being; of the two which would you be picking up? I’m still in makings of a “classic” set and have always liked Ping. I’m not sure these two sets are exactly classics yet, hence the question!

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
I was already leaning towards the Eye2 set!! Anyone know their release date? All I’ve found so far is mid-80’s...
Depends on the markings. They made a few variants over the 10 years or so they were producing them. If you can get the serial numbers, call Ping and they will tell you what date they were built, original set make up, shaft details, and any work Ping has done to them since original sale. There was a V groove version, the famous square groove version, the plus no plus version which is the square groove version with the redesigned plus sole, the plus version (a raised + sign in the cavity, and a drill dot version which was some modification to the original square groove version during the famous law suit. There may be more, but those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Both of my sets are + models. One built in 1990, the other in 1991.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
If you can get some serial numbers, a quick phone call or e-mail to Ping will get you the original ship date from the factory. I'd watch for two things. One, making sure all the serial numbers match across the set. Secondly, making sure all are original shafts. Ping uses a "white" epoxy and it is usually easy to tell if any shafts have been replaced. (It's not that a different set of shafts is bad. It's that you don't know who performed the reshafting and their skill level.)
As Greg said, I'd sure go for the Eye 2's. The Zing 2's were awesome clubs. Very forgiving, etc. They just don't have the mystical magic of the classic Eye 2's.
The Eye 2's were produced from '82 through '90. There were a number of renditions. This link will give you a brief accounting of the various renditions. Archives

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
If you can get some serial numbers, a quick phone call or e-mail to Ping will get you the original ship date from the factory. I'd watch for two things. One, making sure all the serial numbers match across the set. Secondly, making sure all are original shafts. Ping uses a "white" epoxy and it is usually easy to tell if any shafts have been replaced. (It's not that a different set of shafts is bad. It's that you don't know who performed the reshafting and their skill level.)
As Greg said, I'd sure go for the Eye 2's. The Zing 2's were awesome clubs. Very forgiving, etc. They just don't have the mystical magic of the classic Eye 2's.
The Eye 2's were produced from '82 through '90. There were a number of renditions. This link will give you a brief accounting of the various renditions. Archives
Could not remember where that link was, Limp, thanks for providing it.

My recent acquisition is one of the early Plus versions built in the spring of 1990. I wish Ping would re-release the Eye 2 with conforming specs. I would love to purchase a fresh set of Eye 2’s with modern shafts instead going through the reshafting process.

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
ZING 2 are very forgiving irons but are VERY clunky around the greens. Eye 2 irons have some kind of magic poon in them IMO. I have 3 sets - a BeCu set, a green dot set and a blue dot set. The short irons are point and shoot - high, straight results. The wedges are legendary around the greens and from the sand (ask Lefty). Just reshafted my green dot set with some PING TFC 169 pulls (from a set of G15s I think). Road test tomorrow.

20190427_094011.jpg

20190427_094002.jpg
20190427_093957.jpg
20190427_094005.jpg

Last edited:

sssmokin

Retired and loving it
Supporting Member
Jul 2, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Country
I did it, went and got them this afternoon on my lunch. The guy even gave me 15% off, because I came back! Score!! I will post pics tomorrow!
Good move. The best set of irons I've ever had were the Ping Eye2s. Nothing since has ever come close, and I can't find a decent set for a fair price since. I'm happy with my S55s now, but still love the Eye 2s.

sssmokin

Retired and loving it
Supporting Member
Jul 2, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Country
Depends on the markings. They made a few variants over the 10 years or so they were producing them. If you can get the serial numbers, call Ping and they will tell you what date they were built, original set make up, shaft details, and any work Ping has done to them since original sale. There was a V groove version, the famous square groove version, the plus no plus version which is the square groove version with the redesigned plus sole, the plus version (a raised + sign in the cavity, and a drill dot version which was some modification to the original square groove version during the famous law suit. There may be more, but those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Both of my sets are + models. One built in 1990, the other in 1991.
I had the "famous" square groove version. Mine had the TFC shafts, but were not "colorful" like the ones in these pictures.

🔥 Latest posts