• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Question for the Ping peeps in the room

OP
Louie_T07

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
Either you took the photos in a mirror or the clubs are built backwards!!!

Nice set of Pings!!!!!

No smoke or mirrors here, just a solid find, that I couldn’t help but jump all over... especially being a leftie set!! Finding left handed equipment has always been a struggle, ever since I first started playing. I learned quickly to scoop up anything good I’d come across. Things are much better today, but its still just something that I do... Hence my golf corner in the basement! LOL

I can’t wait to start cleaning them up. They feel really nice to swing and I’ve hit a few chip and pitches with the 9,W... so far me like!! [emoji39]

OP
Louie_T07

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
As part of my job, we look after the yearly cultural practices at a private 9-hole course a millionaire has in his back yard... its quite the place, consistently in great shape and no one ever plays it!!

We were there for our spring aeration, so I snuck out the Eye2 8i... two par 3’s are 150ish on the card. The 8i is a thing of ******* beauty... so smooth, and effortless ball height... I’m in love boys!! And these things are 30 years old!!!

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
As part of my job, we look after the yearly cultural practices at a private 9-hole course a millionaire has in his back yard... its quite the place, consistently in great shape and no one ever plays it!!

We were there for our spring aeration, so I snuck out the Eye2 8i... two par 3’s are 150ish on the card. The 8i is a thing of ******* beauty... so smooth, and effortless ball height... I’m in love boys!! And these things are 30 years old!!!
Age has nothing to do with quality, ability, intelligence, handsomeness, etc. After all, I'm 72 going on …. what comes after 72? I'm really having difficulty... Yes, those Ben Hogan blades you are bragging about are...….

OP
Louie_T07

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
Having 9 month old twins has really hampered my ability to get out and play this season. It’s not a complaint, just a fact I’m faced with having small kids now. Of the few rounds I’ve been able to get away and play, these Eye2’s seem to be getting the majority of game time!! They’ve really grown on me, I haven’t done much to them either, other than a good wash.

My best round of the year was played yesterday with the Eye2 irons in my bag... well most of them anyway. The 5,8,9,W came along and all played a part in my round with the dad-in-law. I was -2 on the 7th tee, had two deserving bogies coming home to finish E. That I’m very pleased with.

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
Having 9 month old twins has really hampered my ability to get out and play this season. It’s not a complaint, just a fact I’m faced with having small kids now. Of the few rounds I’ve been able to get away and play, these Eye2’s seem to be getting the majority of game time!! They’ve really grown on me, I haven’t done much to them either, other than a good wash.

My best round of the year was played yesterday with the Eye2 irons in my bag... well most of them anyway. The 5,8,9,W came along and all played a part in my round with the dad-in-law. I was -2 on the 7th tee, had two deserving bogies coming home to finish E. That I’m very pleased with.
They're timeless irons. To quote Subsonic, "if you told me I'd have to pick an iron set for the rest of my life, it would be the Eye 2".

OP
Louie_T07

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
They're timeless irons. To quote Subsonic, "if you told me I'd have to pick an iron set for the rest of my life, it would be the Eye 2".

Timeless indeed!! After these handful of rounds gaming them, I would definitely second the comments of Subsonic. But I still have a very soft spot in my heart for my grain flow forged Mizzy MP’s!!!!

I gotta get them regripped and beautified!

Splunge

Supporting Member
Apr 29, 2014
Massachusetts
Country
I was actually at the range today with a buddy of mine from my beer league baseball team. not a great golfer, but a great hitter and outfielder. He games a set of eye 2’s that he inherited from his uncle who passed, 2-L. I had a blast hitting the 2i on the range, so forgiving and workable. Only real problem is that I only hit it as far as I hit my current 4i so I’m for sure sacrificing tons of distance. Maybe it’s just the shafts.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
I was actually at the range today with a buddy of mine from my beer league baseball team. not a great golfer, but a great hitter and outfielder. He games a set of eye 2’s that he inherited from his uncle who passed, 2-L. I had a blast hitting the 2i on the range, so forgiving and workable. Only real problem is that I only hit it as far as I hit my current 4i so I’m for sure sacrificing tons of distance. Maybe it’s just the shafts.
What is your current 4i?

Splunge

Supporting Member
Apr 29, 2014
Massachusetts
Country
Callaway x forged from ‘07 I think
ImageUploadedByShot Talk1565575060.614371.jpg

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Eye 2’s are at least a club to a club and a half weaker lofts depending on your current set up.

Splunge

Supporting Member
Apr 29, 2014
Massachusetts
Country
I just googled the specs, eye 2 2i is 18.5° and my x forged 4i is 24°, both within a degree of standard iron lofts. I think it was the shafts, I thin they were the original regular shafts in the eye 2’s and I know mine are new stiff shafts.

Splunge

Supporting Member
Apr 29, 2014
Massachusetts
Country
Interesting. I did not think Callaway ever produced standard lofted irons. Of course their gapping is a bit different as the PW’s are 3 degrees different.

I think almost all of callaway’s “players” irons are pretty close to std lofts. Good players don’t take kindly to accidentally hitting a 7i 190, they get used to how far they hit the ball with correct lofts and rely on their swing to get more distance, not the equipment. Even taylormade’s your preferred line from like 2015 was all standard I believe for the MC and MB sets, and their notorious for having strong lofts.

I don’t think you can write off a whole brand for having strong clubs, it’s really a set by set basis, they take their mid and high handicap sets and make the lofts stronger to inspire confidence and make the players feel more like the guys they see on TV.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
I think almost all of callaway’s “players” irons are pretty close to std lofts. Good players don’t take kindly to accidentally hitting a 7i 190, they get used to how far they hit the ball with correct lofts and rely on their swing to get more distance, not the equipment. Even taylormade’s your preferred line from like 2015 was all standard I believe for the MC and MB sets, and their notorious for having strong lofts.

I don’t think you can write off a whole brand for having strong clubs, it’s really a set by set basis, they take their mid and high handicap sets and make the lofts stronger to inspire confidence and make the players feel more like the guys they see on TV.
I have never owned Callaway irons, I probably associated them mostly with their original iron lines which were SGI and stronger lofts. Back before Callaway existed, iron lofts across most brands were fairly standard into the early 80’s. As Callaway entered the game and TM started playing along with vanishing loft syndrome in the quest for distance, the industry changed. Even Ping has started reducing lofts recently and they were probably the last ones to do so. It makes sense that their clubs for high level golfers would dial back the lofts a bit and I am glad to see it to be honest. I just was not aware as I normally compare iron sets by the PW loft as I know the PW lofts on most of sets that I have owned.

🔥 Latest posts