• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Question for the Ping peeps in the room

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
United States United States
Does FGS offer taper tip .355 graphite shafts? I have been looking for some graphite shafts for my lingering Ping Eye 2+ project but the only ones I have found have been in the ultra premium price range $40+ per shaft.
No. .355 graphites are only available from higher end manufacturers like Steelfiber and ReCoil (UST). I just hand taper mine with sandpaper and calipers. You only need to reduce the bottom 5/8" to .355 for PINGs. Been doing it without a failure for a few decades. If you want to send me the parts, I'll be happy to assemble them for you. You pay shipping. :)

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
No. .355 graphites are only available from higher end manufacturers like Steelfiber and ReCoil (UST). I just hand taper mine with sandpaper and calipers. You only need to reduce the bottom 5/8" to .355 for PINGs. Been doing it without a failure for a few decades. If you want to send me the parts, I'll be happy to assemble them for you. You pay shipping. :)
Used to assemble my own clubs from Golfsmith for decades so I am comfortable with the process, but thank you the offer. I just may decide to bore out the hosels to .370 and be done with it. Still have a black dot set with original shafts for historical purposes, the blue dot set will be the playground.

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
Used to assemble my own clubs from Golfsmith for decades so I am comfortable with the process, but thank you the offer. I just may decide to bore out the hosels to .370 and be done with it. Still have a black dot set with original shafts for historical purposes, the blue dot set will be the playground.
That's option 2. I just bored a set of ZING heads. 3/8" bit works well for, 370

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
That's option 2. I just bored a set of ZING heads. 3/8" bit works well for, 370
I have a couple of those and an old Golfsmith .370 reamer bit I can use as well. Used to use it to clean out heads for a reshaft, but was designed to convert hosels from .355 to .370.

Last edited:

Hoganman1

Feb 10, 2018
Charlotte, NC
Country
I have a quick question for you Ping guys. Is it true that when Karsten first started making his clubs they all had stiff shafts? Someone once told me that, but I do not know if it's true. I have a set of Eye2s and the shafts are stiff.

Last edited:

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Karsten's thoughts were that consistency meant more than distance. Whether a 90 pound lady or a 260 pound guy, a stiff shaft would keep dispersion at a minimum. Most all the Eye 2's had the ZZ Lite shaft. It is considered a stiff shaft.

Hoganman1

Feb 10, 2018
Charlotte, NC
Country
Karsten's thoughts were that consistency meant more than distance. Whether a 90 pound lady or a 260 pound guy, a stiff shaft would keep dispersion at a minimum. Most all the Eye 2's had the ZZ Lite shaft. It is considered a stiff shaft.

Thanks. I thought I had heard that fact. It makes sense to me. Karsten really changed the golf landscape. He was quite the innovator.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Thanks. I thought I had heard that fact. It makes sense to me. Karsten really changed the golf landscape. He was quite the innovator.
Few know the full story of Karsten and his life before... and through... Ping Golf. I requested, and my kids obliged, to have the book "And The Putter Went Ping" for Christmas a year ago. The book is huge! It took me a long time to get through it. You read some and then say, "Did I read that right?"... and go back to reread. His innovative engineering with GE long before the first putter is amazing. His litigation with the PGA is well emblazoned in the history of golf. You may not want to spend $100 on a book, but if you can ever find a copy to read, don't pass up the chance!!

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
Maybe you could just "read" it to us.
It couldn't be longer than one of your normal posts.
tenor.gif

🔥 Latest posts

Members online