• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Question on attending majors

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I've got (or will have) Sunday tickets to the PGA tournament and had some questions as this is my first ever "major" tourney.

I assume no cameras?

Where/How/When do you go about getting autographs? Bring your own sharpy?

Follow a group or sit in one location?

How early should I get there? (Parking, etc)

I've been to the US Bank Open in Milwaukee so know enough to be dangerous.

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
No cameras after practice rounds
Autographs around the scorers tent, or after it. Bring a couple sharpie's, a pro might take it and sign a bunch. Let him keep it.
I liked following groups, but if you want to see the final group on the last hole, you'll need to stake that out early.
I have no idea when you should get there. If you want that prime seat at 18, get there a couple hours before the gate opens, and be ready to run.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
I've never had the opportunity to attend a major golf tourney. Wow!!! What an experience to look forward to! All I can say is, "I'm envious!!!" However, I could offer the following recommendations...

1. The PGA is in September, I believe.... right after the kickoff of the NFL season. Make sure you wear your "cheesehead" hat. You'll get noticed on camera. Make sure you wave your beer at the camera.

2. Don't be a "loner". Be part of the crowd. Therefore, make sure you holler "Get in the hole" on every tee shot you witness. Of course, if it's TW your following, holler "Get in the hole........ AGAIN!"

3. Go to the area on Saturday and find out what the courtesy cars are. Saturday afternoon, rent a car that is identical to the courtesy cars the players are using. Put on a Nike hat. Drive up to security on Sunday morning. Wearing your Nike hat, tell them you're part of TW's entourage. You won't have to walk nearly as far that way!

4. Go to the toy department at WalMart. Pick up one of those "frog clickers"... the thinks that make loud clicking noises. Keep it in your pocket. Right in the middle of some of the younger players' backswings, click that rascal. Frown and glare at the guy next to you, as if he had just taken a picture. You'll be amazed at some of the "good" sots you'lhl see the pros hit if they get clicked in their backsing.

5. Stand near the ropes, about 100 yards off the tee box as TW gets ready to hit. Wear a tee shirt that, in big block letters, says... "I'm Dating Elin and Spending Tiger's Money!"

6. Offer advice from the crowd on how putts will break on the greens. You'll have a much better idea than the players, since you'll be able to watch a number of groups come through. The pros, I'm sure, will thank you immensly for your sage advice.

Just have fun!!!!

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
I've been to a US Open and PGA Champ, in general feel it wasn't all that different to me than any other tournament. Same rules apply. Sometimes I sit and watch, sometimes I follow a group. But as stated, if you want to see the last putt of the tournament you better get there a few hours early.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
No cameras, and no cell phones. So be prepared to be electro-gadget free for a few hours.

Get there early.. It's fun to watch the guys warm up on the range and chip/putt before their tee times.

Find out the pairings, and decide who you want to follow. I generally like to watch the range, and then walk the entire course, not really following any group, but just stopping to watch a few here and there.

After that, I find a player or group I want to follow and do so for a few holes, jumping around and finding the really exciting holes on the course. Such as The Players.. I had tickets for Sat and Sun, but on Sunday, I walked the whole course, hung out around 17, and then wondered around, back into the clubhouse and ate lunch, and then walked around again.. I hung out around 15/16/17/18 mostly, as those were the big mover holes.

But in general, I think walking(alot) is the most fun.. The folks who camp out at one hole, I think miss alot of the course. Sure, you'll see EVERY guy come through there, but what fun is that, to see 100 approach shots all day?

Wear good shoes... I wore flip flops everyday at TPC, and even in the cooler temps last year at the Tour Championship.. Wont do that again.. oh and don't wear your golf shoes!!

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Thanks for the tips! I think I'll use limpalong's mostly though...:thumbs up:

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
Sunday only, ouch. From my experience, I'd rather watch Sunday on TV. You get to see all the shots and all the charges.

But, since you asked.....

If you want to watch two rounds of golf, you can get there early and follow a group of also-rans. Follow them around and find what you think will be the best places to watch the leaders. On a Sunday round, I'm assuming you are going to watch the final group in the afternoon.

Watching the group ahead of the final group is an even better idea. Less people to deal with, unless Tiger or Phil are in the 2nd to last group. It'll be easier to move and you are still watching contenders. Then it's not that hard to look back or look at a leaderboard to find out what the final pairing is doing.

Don't even try to wait to watch at tee boxes. The folks on the tee boxes are there a LONG time before the final groups ever get there. And if you've ever been on a tee box (you play golf right? :)) it is about the WORST place to see where the ball lands and to see what happens on the approach and on the green. It's truly not worth standing around there.

The key, in my thinking, is to stand outside the ropes about 270 yards out on a normal, non-dogleg par 4. Most of the guys will be hitting there or a little further up. You can watch the tee shots land, watch the players come up to the ball, hit their approaches, and if need be, you can see them putt from 120yds away if you don't feel like moving at all.

If you start at a tee box with a final group, you will never get into position to watch their approach. The players and caddies get to walk straight down the middle, and most of them walk FAST. You have to battle 20,000 onlookers to get into position. It's really insane.

But if you start at about 250-270 from the tee, you have a fairly good chance to see the ball land, watch the approach, and walk with the group to the green. Then on the next hole, bypass the tee box and get yourself into position again further down the fairway.

Sitting behind the 18th hole you need to get there WAY too early. Moreover, you don't have the feel of the tournament at all. All you see are the scores changing and hear a roar once in a while.

Be prepared to walk. A lot. No golf shoes unless it is EXTREMELY wet out. Everyone will snicker at you behind your back.

Follow an early group to pinpoint the best viewing angles for the final groups. Especially the last 4 holes or so. Also, get there early to watch the pros warm-up. It is a TOTALLY different experience than walking the line at your local range. All the shots sound different, because the ball is getting compressed most every single time. Fun to watch for a little while.

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Thanks. Sounds like what I found to be the best "plan" at USBO in Milwaukee. Stand where the ball lands off the tee shot and when I did that on one hole I had Villegas five yards away hitting his second shot into the green. Pretty cool.

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
Just the opposite suggestion of "no golf shoes" If you are going to the PGA at "Whistling Straits" your are going to need em. The spectator areas other than the gravel paths are made for goats. You will need some "traction" when walking on those fescue slopes.
No Cameras, cell phones except if you are sneaky.

Eric and I attended the US Senior Open there. On Championship Sunday we got there about 9ish. We then watched one group on each hole going from one thru 18. We then camped out at the 18th to watch the last 10 or so groups come through. You can also see the 9th green from there too. The 18th has a ravine the forces long approach shots so it is a quite interesting hole to watch.

Be prepared for very expensive beverages and food. Lots of people and some very good golf and some shots you and I would rather not admit to have hit. Be aware of wind changes at that course. As the day goes on the wind shifting from off the lake to from inland makes the holes play extremely different.

Overall the longest walk we had was not on the course but from the parking lot to the entrance!!!!

Above all if you get there about 9ish no need to hurry to get around the course. You will have plenty of time.

BTW---If its a hot day, It was blazing hot 90*+ in the shade when we were there, The porta pottys are just plain nasty. A Blue Sauna with odors that that were just wrong.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.