• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Question regarding fitting???

ZStone

Jun 10, 2008
So I am pretty new to the forum, and have a quick question...

I am looking for a new set of irons and have hit about 7 or 8 different sets at Edwin Watts on the launch monitor. I have narrowed my selection down based on the results. The winners were definitely the ping G10's followed closely by the 2006 Callaway Big Bertha's. These two were consistantly longer, higher and straighter (narrow dispersion pattern) than the other irons tested.

My question is this: Does brown impact tape effect the performance of the club at all? The ping G10's were demo clubs so they were not taped during the session. I averaged 6 yards longer and 3 MPH more ball speed with the pings. All of the other irons were taped up during the session. Would the tape on the Big Bertha's account for any of the difference?

My ball flight was mostly high with a very small draw. Other irons tested were X20's, Titlist AP1, Cobra S9, Nike Sumo, and Tour Edge Exotic EX-3. As far as my golf game, I shoot high 80's to low 90's. The irons are definitely the most inconsistant part of my game.

I am trying to determine if the difference in performance is worth the difference in price. You can find pretty good deals on 2006 Big Bertha's, though I prefer the looks and performance of the G10's slightly more. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks for helping out...

Zach

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
If you are talking about tape on the sole of the club, then no, it won't make any difference. If they put tape on the face of the club (stranger things have happened) then yes it would affect the spin put on the ball, and could affect both distance and dispersion results.

OP
Z

ZStone

Jun 10, 2008
They put tape on the face of the club as well. It gave me a good idea of where contact was made (and kept the club clean), but I wonder if it could alter the ball speed coming off the face of the club, therefore affecting distance and spin. Thanks for the input...

Zach

Skjay101

May 1, 2008
I don't know. One time I was playing around at a golf shop, launch monitor and all. They used duct tape on the face of new clubs, to protect the finish and look. Knowing exactly how I hit my pings, I know how hard to hit to hit 100yd, 200yd, etc. I also know how to apply a moderate fade/draw or a more durastic one. I lost about 5% distance on my clubs with the tape on and my heavy draw produced more of a slight draw.

You'd think that the shops would apply some sort of something to the face that made the club perform unrealistically better so the testers would be more encouraged to buy the clubs.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
Zstone, I see you are in South Carolina, what part?

One of the best clubfitters in the world, Dana Upshaw, is in Warner Robbins, GA, if you are interested in a world class, as good or better than the pros, clubfitting.

OP
Z

ZStone

Jun 10, 2008
I appreciate all the responses. I think I am going with the Ping G10's

Siberian, I am in Greenville, SC. I think Warner Robbins, GA is about 250 miles away...pretty far to get fitted.

Zach

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.