• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Questions about distances with Bowed Shaft on a Wedge

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
My 51* Wedge has a shaft that is slightly bowed and as a result makes the club stronger in loft. Around 48.5-49*. Mention that to tell the direction it is bowed. The clubmaker noticed it when he was getting ready to bend the loft. I just had him bend it accordingly till I could figure it out (1* stronger).

I had noticed that it seemed to be playing weaker towards the end of the year (thought it was due to the cold weather). I am guessing the bow in the shaft is probably causing it to do so.

Anyways, long story not quite as long. I haven't decided whether to reshaft the club for around $20, but am leaning towards just buying a new one as it is a couple years old. While the Ping Wedges seem to have a long wear, I can't get my head around this entire concept.

While I have a pretty good understand for a lot of the physics in golf, I can't get my mind around this one. To add, I am guessing based on how it used to play. I have bent my 9i to 46* and my SW is 56*, so logic tells me that 51* is the way to go. Although my Ping Wedges and Mizuno irons likely play different. Pings are a little more forgiving. Right now with the bowed shaft it plays the way I want, but that is a club bent to 51* that read as about 48.5* on the scale. My thought is go with a 50* that can be bent either to 51* or 49*.

Any thoughts on this as far as what a bowed shaft will do to distance? My other thought process is to go with a Cleveland Wedge that can be bent further, but I really like my Ping Wedges. I am also on the fence that if I simply went with a 52* and it plays the way I remember it may be enough.

Last thought. If your thought is to reshaft the current one. Has anyone ever played Rifle Flighted Shafts on Wedges. I am thinking I would prefer to match the iron shafts I have as opposed to going with spinners on this club. Was told for the Spinners to really benefit me, I would need a really high swing speed. I also play this club more as an iron than a wedge, but it is my primary chipping club and out of the sand. Although a little added distances would not be a disadvantage on those to, I still want an equal gap on full shots.

OP
P

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Man, re-reading this it seems like asking how a car would run on 8 cylinders, when it currently runs well on 6. I guess the other vote is, should I just wait for the darn thing to snap.

Bignose

Oct 23, 2006
Pa,

I'd have to think that a bowed shaft would be losing at least some of the energy transfer that would be available. It may not be much right now, but by being fatigued/damaged in the way it is, it cannot be flexing in the same way it was designed to. What this means in distance is probably anybody's guess. I also think that this is something that won't remain constant. It will probably bow more and more over time, and play just a little different from round to round. I think that it will also behave differently when you do some of the normal wedge things. Things like opening the face will obviously cause the bow to be in a different direction.

I think that there is a very good reason that golf clubs aren't made like this in the first place. I think that you will probably find that a straight shaft will be better all around.

OP
P

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
I was kinda thinking the same thing. My first thought was it had more loft, although logic told me it also likely had no kick. Starting to think also that this club used to play pretty strong in relation to my irons and a 52* may be the way to go. Probably pull it out this weekend and more closely check out the grooves. Probably end up buying a new one though. Saw the same club on sale for $79 new. Seems kinda pointless to put $25 into a shaft

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I have the regular Rifle FCM shafts in my irons and my wedges. I thought about going with spinners but wanted to keep the feel consistent from my irons to my wedges. I like them, the feel is good and they seem to play well in wedges. From what I have read about spinners, their real benefit is on half/partial wedge shots-and I try to hit as few of those as possible.

OP
P

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Thanks for the feedback guys. Went ahead and bought a Ping Tour 52* on Golf Galaxy. They had them for $79. Which was around $20 cheaper than anywhere else and between last night and this morning they had sold out all but the 52* so I didn't wanna wait to try out others. ;)

Only difference is I believe it may be the blasted finish, which is fine. Will give me 3 different finishes on 3 different wedges and was my second choice after the Brush Nickel

Thanks again.

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online