• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

questions about GPS's

daddymack

Mar 27, 2005
I been reading about those igolf neo gps and plan on getting one. I'm not a good enough golfer to appreciate all the bells and whistles of more expensive units.

I know nothing about gps at all. Do they work right out of the box or do I need to get a subscription first?

I play no more then 10 courses, perhaps if i go on vacation but i usually fish.

It says you can have 4 individual reference points per hole. I guess thats for bunkers and whatnot. Is that something you can do on the fly?

I had a ton of questions when I started this post but now i'm drawing a blank.

getting old sucks.

Wayneo

From the bunker
Dec 31, 2008
I've got a Neo and it's great, I also have a Bushnell rangefinder. Here are your answers regarding the Neo.

I know nothing about gps at all. Do they work right out of the box or do I need to get a subscription first?

Yes it will work right out of the box if you map your own course. Here's what you'd do. Walk to point you want to map. 5 seconds for the unit to save your location. Another 10 seconds fiddling with the buttons for the name, and hole, etc. Total of 15 seconds.

I play no more then 10 courses, perhaps if i go on vacation but i usually fish.

The Neo will hold 10 course files on the unit. All saved on your PC so you can rotate what's on the unit. Or you can even share files with others that have an iGolf GPS.

It says you can have 4 individual reference points per hole. I guess thats for bunkers and whatnot. Is that something you can do on the fly?

Yes.

I had a ton of questions when I started this post but now i'm drawing a blank.

getting old sucks.

Tell me about it.

Here's a table that's a bit outdated but still very good.

GPS Comparative Table

I've found iGolf's business practices suck. Their mappings (if you buy a membership) are fine, I hear alot of people will get a one year membership and then not renew. Their website sucks, it's very disjointed.

If mine were to break, I'd replace it with another Neo. I find the unit invaluable on the course. It speeds up play and enhances confidence in your club selection. Right now it can be found for about $100.

Lemme know if you have any more Neo specific questions. All in all, any GPS should be good. It really depends on your needs and wants from the unit.

I still have over 70 credits with my membership, and I'll download and send you the files for the 2 favourite courses you play, if you get one.

OP
D

daddymack

Mar 27, 2005
if you map your own course. Here's what you'd do. Walk to point you want to map. 5 seconds for the unit to save your location. Another 10 seconds fiddling with the buttons for the name, and hole, etc. Total of 15 seconds.

What do you mean by mapping? Are you talking about courses that igolf do not have in their system?

I still have over 70 credits with my membership, and I'll download and send you the files for the 2 favourite courses you play, if you get one.

Thanks, that would be great. The weather here is still chilly so I'll probably wait till april to buy. I'll probably bug you with some more question before then.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Not to talk down on the Neo, but have you considered the Golfbuddy? It's no fees, holds 20,000 - yes, 20,000 - courses and is along the same lines as most others price-wise. 2yard accuracy and 11 points per hole on most courses. Automatic updates, so no need to ever plug in to your comp. Rechargeable onboard battery and AAA backup. Just turn on, 3 minutes you're getting readings - even on shotgun hole starts.

I'm actually thinking of getting one of these, and after reading about their spiel from the 09 PGA show, i just might.

http://www.golfbuddyglobal.com/

R35

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Rock- How the HELL does the GolfBuddy claim to hold that many courses when comparable technology can only hold 10-20?

Serious question. It must work differently...

And golfbuddy has their own "intelligreen", yah?

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Rock- How the HELL does the GolfBuddy claim to hold that many courses when comparable technology can only hold 10-20?

Serious question. It must work differently...

And golfbuddy has their own "intelligreen", yah?

No clue. It also updates by whatever course you're on. Connects, updates to that specific course and you get the new yardages. Battery lasts 2 days worth of golf, plus the AAA backup in case you forget it in the bag when you go out drinking with the boys. :D

Rick Smith is their lead guy, alongside Phil Mickelson, and there was this in depth feature on TGC the other night about it. It's basically every golfers dream. All courses, no fees, and a solid built, water-proof reciever that's accurate.

I've read some independent reviews on the newer versions (I guess the first releases sucked) and they've come light years since.

I dunno, seems almost too good to be true, but if it's getting the reviews.....why not?

R35

Wayneo

From the bunker
Dec 31, 2008
What do you mean by mapping? Are you talking about courses that igolf do not have in their system?

* No. If you buy a membership at iGolf, you can download the mapped GPS points from a course they have in their system. If you do NOT buy a membership, you can create your own file of GPS points for a course, whether or not it is in the iGolf system.

Rock has mentioned another unit. If you check it out, you'll see it has different features, the ability to hold alot more courses, but close to 3 times the cost.

They're all good. Just depends on the features you want.

Do you mainly play the same courses ?
Do you want to own the course files you download ?
Do you want to use it for stats tracking ?
Do you want it to suggest what club you should use ?
Do you want it to be a digital scorecard as well ?
Do you want to have to move courses on and off the unit, or do you want them all on the unit at the same time ?
Do you want to have pay a yearly membership fee in order to get updates or new files ?
Do you want to be able to modify GPS points already on the unit ?
Do you want someone to have walked the course itself to map it, or use an aerial map, or you don't care, so long as the data is fairly accurate ?
Do you want the unit to know what course your're on, so as you drive up it has already picked out the course you will be playing ?
Do you want a unit that uses a non-replaceable rechargable battery, or one that uses regular AA or AAA batteries ?
Do you want the unit to auto-advance when you move from one hole to another ?

All those features are available in one unit or another. It all depends on what you're willing to pay to have it.

Good luck with your choice.

Hey Sux - the iGolf gps file is 7K each. If you do the math, that's about 150 Mb needed for all 20,000 if it were one of their units. When I've ripped apart some USB sticks, the little 2Gb chip is about the size of a nickel flattened into a rectangle.

It's all about the money, they could all do it.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
Golflogix, simple to use, no mapping required, newer units hold 20 courses, excellent customer support.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Golf Guru.

I have been using mine for about 8 months now and love it. Picks up a signal in no time at all and you never have to pay for a course download, buy the unit and get unlimited course downloads. Course not mapped? Send them an email and they will get it done very quickly unless you start requesting a bunch of different courses at the same time.

Golf Guru is also $100 cheaper than the Golf Buddy for the B&W version.

$250, although you can find it cheaper sometimes on eBay direct from Golf Guru through an auction.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Golf Guru.

I have been using mine for about 8 months now and love it. Picks up a signal in no time at all and you never have to pay for a course download, buy the unit and get unlimited course downloads. Course not mapped? Send them an email and they will get it done very quickly unless you start requesting a bunch of different courses at the same time.

Golf Guru is also $100 cheaper than the Golf Buddy for the B&W version.

$250, although you can find it cheaper sometimes on eBay direct from Golf Guru through an auction.

Except the website doesn't work anymore. Not a good start. :D

(Seems to be up now..)

R35

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Except the website doesn't work anymore. Not a good start. :D

(Seems to be up now..)

R35

I guess the internet lines to Regina get a little slow in the cold weather. :laugh:

I was on the website on Friday evening with no issues, its gotta be you. :D

The Golf Buddy looks nice, but the Golf Guru is the cheapest fully functional unit I have found so far. I refuse to get ripped off for an annual fee, and want free unlimited course downloads. The Guru fit the bill.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I can't find one for less than retail. Well, I did sign up for the discounts, and recieved 10 dollars off. :p

If someone sees a good price on the colour version, let me know.

R35

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
If you have a GPS enabled phone look into TeeDroid. I have it on my Blackberry Curve and I've checked it against top of the line name brand units. The yardages were either spot on, of no more that 3 yards off. And for $19.95 a year, no monthly fees you can't beat it.

🔥 Latest posts