• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

questions about GPS's

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
The Upro is by far, by FAR, the coolest unit out there. It's not even close. Even just holding the thing you can tell it's in a different league.

But I checked into the "pro-mode" courses, the courses that REALLY utilize all those features, and they have almost NOTHING done around here. Not even the private clubs. So it'd be like paying $400 for an igolf neo. But you're paying for courses.

I would not want to invest in a numbers-only GPS because I want to see the shape and depth of the green. So I'd omit the neo and similar units immediately, because the functionality just doesn't justify the price for the rare occasions my rangefinder can't give me the basic information.

The SkyCaddie seems to be the best "made for golfer" GPS, because it's so accurate, and because of intelligreen. If the Golf Guru has the same green function, then kudos and that unit is worth considering.

The most promising GPS I actually saw was the SonoCaddie. I LOVED the look of the display- it mapped out every hole in the format of a yardage book. You always had yardages to every constant point on the map. If they had more courses mapped, and if the accuracy was better, I'd go that route hands down. LOVED that.

I REALLY want to see the whole hole I'm playing, so I can plan my shots from the teebox. I REALLY want to see how far it is from A to B, then from B to C, etc. But the units that have that capability just aren't prominent enough to have courses mapped out.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
Golf Guru has its own version of intelligreen and you can move the flag around the intelligreen to get distances to any portion of the green you so desire.

Better yet, you never pay another dime to Golf Guru once you buy the unit. No annual fees, no update fees, and no fees to get more courses. I got my B&W unit for around $230 last year via a Golf Guru auction on eBay and have not looked back since. Golf Guru has upgraded the software about 6 times since I got the unit and it has had every course I have played in the database.

Until someone else comes out with a more feature packed unit, that costs less, and does not have annual fees; the Golf Guru would be the only unit I would consider if my current unit were to get lost/broken. When the color unit came out, Golf Guru even offered a trade in program where you could trade in your old B&W unit for a hefty discount on the new color unit. I kept the B&W as I have yet to have an issue with it.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Well, with the Neo you pay a fee $30 which let's you download 100 courses/year. If you download all the courses you'll play you don't have to re-join since the files are yours. :)

EddieC

Feb 1, 2006
Golf Guru has its own version of intelligreen and you can move the flag around the intelligreen to get distances to any portion of the green you so desire.

Better yet, you never pay another dime to Golf Guru once you buy the unit. No annual fees, no update fees, and no fees to get more courses. I got my B&W unit for around $230 last year via a Golf Guru auction on eBay and have not looked back since. Golf Guru has upgraded the software about 6 times since I got the unit and it has had every course I have played in the database.

Until someone else comes out with a more feature packed unit, that costs less, and does not have annual fees; the Golf Guru would be the only unit I would consider if my current unit were to get lost/broken. When the color unit came out, Golf Guru even offered a trade in program where you could trade in your old B&W unit for a hefty discount on the new color unit. I kept the B&W as I have yet to have an issue with it.

You can pick these B&W trade in units up that have been refurbed for $199.00 on the guru site, saves you 50.00 over a new one and 150.00 better than the color unit. I have the B&W one as well and don't see the point in upgrading either....I look at, it gives me the yardage to everything, green front, center and back, all hazards and when I'm done with the hole it keeps my stats: score, Putts, GIR and Fairways Hit. Hard to beat it for the price.

OP
D

daddymack

Mar 27, 2005
I found a neo on sale for 100 bucks online a week or so ago and jumped on it. the weather i still cold so i'm about a good month away from playing. Anyhow I just took it out the box to play with it and I have some questions; Do you download to the unit or you computer? I've heard people say you can save it on your hard drive but do you have to load it on the neo first? When I click my igolf sync icon on my desktop, my create/edit link is always blank. Also it seems like people add points on a hole for everyone. Meaning if YOU downloaded a course I played and I already mapped some points ,you could get those point also. whats the difference between sync courses and download courses? "SYNCing " in general has been a pain in my behind. I could never fully figure out a palm pilot and don't get me started on an IPOD. I won't slammed this into a wall like my last two ipods but you may watch ebay for a nice opened but unused igolf neo posting .

OP
D

daddymack

Mar 27, 2005
Sorry about the above post. No matter how I space it. It always comes out jumbled up for some reason ....

Wayneo

From the bunker
Dec 31, 2008
Daddy - lemme see if I can help you out a bit here.

If you follow their manual, I found it quite accurate and easy to use. Just go through it slowly and you'll get it.

* Do you download to the unit or you computer?

What ? You download the GPS files to your computer, and then upload them to your iGolf Neo.

Alternatively, if you create and map your own Golf course on the unit itself, you would eventually download it from your Neo onto your computer.

* I've heard people say you can save it on your hard drive but do you have to load it on the neo first?

Hopefully the above answer also answered this question. You don't even need your Neo plugged in to your computer in order to download files from the iGolf site.

* When I click my igolf sync icon on my desktop, my create/edit link is always blank.

You would click sync when you want to transfer files (data) between the computer and the Neo. I have no idea what you're talking about afterwards.

* Also it seems like people add points on a hole for everyone. Meaning if YOU downloaded a course I played and I already mapped some points ,you could get those point also.

You can add/modify up to 4 custom points per hole. If a friend has done that he can then save the modified file that is on his unit, send it to you, and you can then upload it to your unit.

* whats the difference between sync courses and download courses?

Sync - From computer to Neo
Download - From Neo to computer.

Cheers,
Wayneo.

OP
D

daddymack

Mar 27, 2005
Thanks for your help. I was tired and rushing so forgive me for being a little incoherent in the post.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.