• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Quick notes on Apex Plus, Geek DCT, and Red X2

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
I spent some time in the garage on the work bench last week putting together some of my recent Ho's. Had some issues (that is in another thread already) and got to try out some new tools in the process. I finally got a quick trip out to the range to test my wares on Tuesday and have the following to report.

Ben Hogan Apex Plus irons:

After getting through my assembly woes, I was finally able to get these puppies gripped. Prior to grip installation, I got to try out the Tour Lock Pro grip modifier to create a place to install the TLP back weights in my irons. While the finished product comes out a bit rougher than the Winn grips designed for the TLP weights, the tool did the job and the finished appearance after the weight is installed is clean enough for my eye. So, with 30g of weight installed in the grips, I headed out to the range.

Starting out with the E wedge (PW), I started my range session. It took a few swings to get comfortable with the new club, but once I warmed up to it, I was getting center contact on just about every swing. While there was a slight improvement in feel compared to my cast club heads, I would not call the Hogans "Buttery smooth" like I found the MP-60's. Now, that could totally be the hardness of the range balls compared to the D2 Feels I was hitting with the MP-60's, but I won't know for sure until I get these out on the course with my Stratas. The jury is still out until I get that opportunity.

As I progressed up through the 7 iron, I was enjoying the feedback that forged clubs provide. You know instantly whether or not you hit it pure. Hit in near the sweet spot and your in, miss it by a bit and your out. Ball flight was just about as high as with my previous set of irons, so not a lot of help in bringing my ball flight down. Maybe a hair lower, but nothing dramatically lower. What I did love about the clubs was the consistency I was achieving when I hit on the spot. Almost the exact same landing area with every shot unless I missed the sweet spot a bit. that consistent ball flight and distance is going to keep these in the bag for a bit.

More on the irons once I get a few rounds in with them.

Geek DCT 9*:

This whole club (except grip) has traveled through Regina at different times. I mated the DCT head up with a TE branded NV 65 stiff shaft, both have which seen the business end of Rock's shaft puller. As with the Rifle's in the Apex's, the NV was Spined and aligned prior to installation into the DCT head. Additionally, I added 30g of back weight with the TLP system weights and grip modifier before putting the club in my bag for its trip to the driving range.

After working through the Hogans, I brought out the new Big Dog to see what she could do. As advertised by those who came before me, the DCT is a low launching head. Easily 10 to 20 feet lower than my TEE 9* with the exact same shaft in it. While that may be a problem for some, this is exactly the ball flight I have been looking for. It is very similar to my TEE 3 wood, a boring trajectory with some roll out at the end. Awesome, just plain awesome . When I pulled my TEE 9* out for comparison, it felt as though I was ballooning the ball even though I was not doing so. I was getting a slightly longer carry distance with the TEE, but a longer total distance with the DCT. The DCT will make a few trips around the course to see how well it performs on the front line before I make the final decision to replace the TEE.

The DCT head is beautiful. Inside the head definitely looks black, but once you take it out in the sunlight you can definitely see the deep blue color that Lyle was talking about. The club sets up well from the address position inspiring confidence, and the only times I hit the ball off line was when I had either an extreme toe or heel mis-hit. Most of my contact spots were close to the center of the club face so I was quite impressed with the results. It will be interesting to see how well it holds up on the course.

Scotty Cameron Red X2:

A Global Golf find, this putter arrived as a 35" 330g club. The shaft was pulled and replaced with a new one bringing the total length down to my normal 33" length putter shaft. The head was opened up and 22g of weight was added before resealing it bringing the head weight up to 352g. The shaft was installed along with a Lamkin Dual Density red/black grip with a 100g TLP weight installed in the grip end. The Red X2 left the workbench as a 33"/352g back weighted beast.

After the range session with the Apex Plus and DCT, I walked over to the putting green to test out my new putter. Even with all the added weight, it still felt a little light to me (now remember, I have been running around with a Heavy Putter and a highly modified Yes! Carolyne lately so most putters are feeling light to me.) My first 5 to 10 strokes, I could not sink a putt over 4 feet out. What a disaster, I thought. This thing is not going to get it done. Then after about 15 putts, I could not miss a thing. I was sinking 12-15 footers like they were tap ins. At one point, I sank 7 putts in the 10-20 foot range in a row to 3 different holes from a different length and side of the hole on each putt. I do not know what happened, but all of a sudden I was not missing a thing. The long putts that did not drop ended up within a foot of the hole. I had to consciously practice shorter putts as my long putts were ending up too close to the hole to get any practice on my 3 to 6 footers.

After sinking another three 12-15 footers in a row I had to pick the ball up and go home for fear that I would leave all the good putts on the practice green. I am hoping to save some for the course tomorrow.:laugh: Needless to say, the Red X2 is going in the bag for a trial run.

ualtim

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
sounds promising.....looking forward to seeing updates

how'd you settle on 30 grm backweighting in the irons? trial and error / impact tape?

did your Yes! have that UST Frequency Filtered shaft?

OP
ualtim

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
sounds promising.....looking forward to seeing updates

how'd you settle on 30 grm backweighting in the irons? trial and error / impact tape?

did your Yes! have that UST Frequency Filtered shaft?

Taped some washers to the butt end of a club and weighed the washers when I found a weight that felt/worked the best. Unscientific at best, but we will see how she goes. I was too cheap to buy the ring package Balance Certified offers. I was kind of leaning towards 20 or 30 grams backweighting after researching other folks who have a similar swing/make up as myself and most of them were at 20 to 30 grams as well.

Yupper, the Yes! Carolyne has the UST FF in it. Still love that putter, but even with the shaft it can not compete with he feel of a Cameron.

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
I'll have to try the washers idea - thanks

will you reshaft the scotty? or are you moving on from the FF?

OP
ualtim

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
I'll have to try the washers idea - thanks

will you reshaft the scotty? or are you moving on from the FF?

I would have put a FF int he Scotty, but Scotties are .355 Taper Tips and I am pretty sure they do not make the FF in .355T Option 2 was the T2C heavy shaft, but I ran into the same problem. Ended up with a TT Lite 36" .335T shaft in "R" flex which I butt trimmed to length. I wanted to save the original shaft in the event I ever need to re-sell.

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
I just don't understand taper tips.... I suppose reaming out a scotty would hurt it's resale value....

OP
ualtim

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
I just don't understand taper tips.... I suppose reaming out a scotty would hurt it's resale value....

Thought about it. If I ever decide to go that way I am sending it out to Slighter to have it done. All black with a silver/platinum insert. All paintfill to Blue/White. Will rename it "Blue X2" :D If your going to ruin a Scotties value, might as well go first class.

OP
ualtim

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
It was the range balls.....

Got the whole new set up on course today. Shot a 91 with one snowman.:( The snowman came on a par 4 where I hit in the rough, came up short to about 63 yards. Took out my lob wedge reminding myself to hit the ball first so I would not lose yardage like I did out of the rough. I hit the ball first all right, bladed it. Longest 58* wedge shot I ever hit in my life. It easily went 150 yards, would have gone further but someone's roof got in the way.:laugh:

Anyway, the feel of the Apex Plus was awesome with the 3 piece balls. I was playing a Callaway HX Hot (Thanks Doc. :D) which is normally a little harder than most other 3 piecers, but that buttery feel I was expecting showed up. Distance were very accurate and I adjusted immediately to the new irons. Felt like I had been playing them for years. I was able to lower the ball flight a little bit from the range, but alas, I am still a high ball hitter. The Apex Plus are staying in the bag.

The Geek. They should have named it fairway finder. I used the Geek 11 times and found 9 fairways. One of the missed fairways was by 2 feet, the other was just a poor swing which lead me to the above snowman story. Long, straight, and a great boring trajectory which really helped in the wind today. The course was wet so I was not expecting a lot of roll, but I did get a lot more roll that what I am used to. I only put one drive up in the air into the wind and got a whole 8 inches of roll from my ball mark in the mud. Still long and in the fairway, but I just launched it a bit too high. The sound of the Geek DCT will take a bit to get used to. Its more of a muted sound than the TEE, but as long as its keeping the ball down and finding fairways it is staying in the bag.

The Red X2. It took me a few holes to get used to the greens, but I only had two 3 putts and both of those were missed reads. Distance control was awesome and I jarred a few more in the 12-15 range to save par and grab a birdie so the magic is still there. Its staying in the bag as well.

To tell you the truth, I was quite happy with my 91 all things considered. New driver, new irons, new putter, and playing the course for the first time in the wind and wet could have been a disaster waiting to happen, but it all came together for an enjoyable round. Hey, its still better than working. :laugh:

The equipment came through for me and will be staying in the bag for now. Even better, my latest ho was sitting on the doorstep when I arrived home. Once I get the TE JMAX Bazooka Carbon 7W regripped and back weighted, it will be replacing the 3-hybrid and joining the rest of the new ho's in the bag.

Fun day indeed.

ualtim

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Sweet tim. Im waiting to try my new ho's:(

I hope i can get to the course tonight.

Pro Platinum custom and the 907 are screaming in the corner to be hit!:)

How do you setup with the red x tim? I found the only way for me to get like a proper feel off the face I had to have the shaft perfectly over the red dots, otherwise it felt really clanky...?

OP
ualtim

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
How do you setup with the red x tim? I found the only way for me to get like a proper feel off the face I had to have the shaft perfectly over the red dots, otherwise it felt really clanky...?

I can not see the 3 red dots at address. I totally forgot they were there as I never see them. Noticed them on the 14th hole yesterday on a practice stroke, and had one of those "oh yeah" moments.

So far, the ball is going exactly where I point it to go. I like the 3 line set up as it helps to frame the ball and line it up in the right direction. Best part, of course, is the feel. I loved the feel of my Studio Style NP2 and the Red X2 is as good if not a little bit better.

Members online

No members online now.