• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Quick question regarding shaft length.

paddy10189

Sep 14, 2006
Arite I am in the process of looking for a new shaft for my driver which is a callaway x460 and is a bore through

Since it is a bore through if I get a shaft that is say 44 1/2 inches will it then play at 44 1/2 or 45 or would it play shorter?

Also if it does play shorter how would this affect distance? like would an inch make it play 5-10 yards shorter or is my theory flawed.

thanks guys for answering my dumb questions

footballking732

BURNER BABY!!
Sep 2, 2006
nope, you cant get a shaft thats 44 1/2, unless you want it to play 43... and you are right, every inch is probably 5-10 yds..

OP
paddy10189

paddy10189

Sep 14, 2006
arite thanks so i would need a 46" shaft to play at 44 1/2 then

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
you are right, every inch is probably 5-10 yds..

I have to disagree - making good contact in the center of the face is much more important to distance than shaft length

you should play the longest driver you can CONSISTENTLY make good contact with (most people play drivers that are too long for them)

some guys have been known to switch back to steel shafts that are 1.5-2" shorter than graphite and pick up distance - it's all about catching it on the screws

(naturally, I'm ignoring all the 48" shafts in the long drive competitions - because those guys are a different breed)

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
I have to disagree - making good contact in the center of the face is much more important to distance than shaft length

you should play the longest driver you can CONSISTENTLY make good contact with (most people play drivers that are too long for them)

some guys have been known to switch back to steel shafts that are 1.5-2" shorter than graphite and pick up distance - it's all about catching it on the screws

(naturally, I'm ignoring all the 48" shafts in the long drive competitions - because those guys are a different breed)

I SO agree with this!

Consistent impact in the sweet spot is easier when the club is shorter....as Tom Wishon said, any impact 1/2" off center ios a loss of at least 5 yards carry....a 1 inch error is a 10 yard carry loss.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
I SO agree with this!

Consistent impact in the sweet spot is easier when the club is shorter....as Tom Wishon said, any impact 1/2" off center ios a loss of at least 5 yards carry....a 1 inch error is a 10 yard carry loss.

But when you have all these folks on the net posting up drive carrys of 280+ yds.....what's a lousy little 10 yd difference to them?:rolleyes:

OP
paddy10189

paddy10189

Sep 14, 2006
pssshh only 280+ im talking 320+

I kid

but I was just figuring that about 1 1/2 inches are in the bore through so it would play to about 44 1/2 which I would like because it will give me a bit more control which will then make up for the shorter shaft.

🔥 Latest posts