• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Quick rules question "Lost Provisional"

Highdraw34

Mar 27, 2006
I found myself in a place this weekend that I hadn't been in for quite some time. I hit my first drive on #2 near the OB marker. I hit a provisional and landed near the same spot. I found neither ball, what was the correct course of action and what was I hitting from there?

15andlife

Pulaski Golf Rocks!!
May 20, 2006
If you loose a ball or if it goes out of bounds you must hit another from the tee you would be hitting 5 from the tee. That is why you want to hit as many provisionals as you can until you hit one you know you can find so that you dont have to walk all the way back to the tee.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Yep. Nailed it.

Nice work losing the provisional. Hit the driver again? :D

R35

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Reminds me of our 'traveling group' when we played strictly by the rules while simultaneously draining cases of beer over a three day period. You had to carry lots of balls because there was no 'stopping play' for any reason whatsoever no matter how many balls you lost. Rules of Golf. Period.

We were teeing off on a short par 4 with about a 170 yard water carry.

One of my best friends dribbles his ball off the tee into the water. He got a ball out of his pocket and re-teed. The next one was shanked into the water.

I went to the cart and threw him a ball. He popped it up and I threw him another.

The next one cleared the water easily and hooked its way into the woods along a white staked OB line of markers.

By this time, I was deep into his bag searching for balls. I threw him another.

At this point, he threw his driver down and hit a nice 2 iron over the water and in the middle of the fairway.

I cannot remember his score for the hole but it was around 13 or so...

OP
Highdraw34

Highdraw34

Mar 27, 2006
Dam, I need to not hit driver so much. My new rule of thumb is if a hole is less than 380 I'm not even thinking about the driver. I hit my 3 Iron 220 crisp and clean every time. My driver on the other hand goes all over the yard lately.

EnglishGolfer

Talks a good game
Oct 3, 2005
Highdraw34 said:
My driver on the other hand goes all over the yard lately.

well you've got 5 years to sort that and every other miniscule swing flaw out if you're going to meet your 2011 target
icon10.gif

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
The original response is exactly correct. You'd need to go back and re-tee, hitting 5, after not finding the original or the prov.

I've run into this 3 times already at my course. Our 4th hole is a reachable par 5. I usually have 210-220 left. Sometimes a 5-iron, sometimes the 3h. There is woods to the right of the green, and behind it, and a bunker short left. I play a draw and have to aim just right of the green in order to hold it on a correctly hit shot.

Unfortunately, thrice this year I've blocked my first ball into the right woods. I have ALWAYS found it and been able to play it without much problem, but what if I don't? Then I'd have to walk all the way back. So out comes the provisional. Blocked into the same woods. Another provisional, over the green into different woods due to anger. Finally, I usually give up and hit a 7-iron short of the green, then go find my first ball.

It just sucks. I have lobbied my course to make the right woods red staked. They are red staked on the other side, which faces hole 15, but on the hole 4 side, there aren't any stakes. It just takes too long to play the hole and I usually have the foursome behind me standing there watching shots 3 and 4 as it's a blind dogleg left from the tee, so they don't know I'm down there and hit up.

In a tournament two years ago I took a 13 as I kept snap-hooking the ball out of bounds. It was a little wet. I snapped the driver 1. Provisional, hitting 3, snap driver 2. 2-iron, hitting 5, snap 2-iron. 2-iron again, hitting 7, snap. Hitting 9 with a 7-iron. Made bogey on that ball for 13. On a 380 yard hole with as much room to the right as you could possibly want. I was 9-over on that hole, and 1 over on the other 17. Terrible.

OP
Highdraw34

Highdraw34

Mar 27, 2006
Augster said:
The original response is exactly correct. You'd need to go back and re-tee, hitting 5, after not finding the original or the prov.

I've run into this 3 times already at my course. Our 4th hole is a reachable par 5. I usually have 210-220 left. Sometimes a 5-iron, sometimes the 3h. There is woods to the right of the green, and behind it, and a bunker short left. I play a draw and have to aim just right of the green in order to hold it on a correctly hit shot.

Unfortunately, thrice this year I've blocked my first ball into the right woods. I have ALWAYS found it and been able to play it without much problem, but what if I don't? Then I'd have to walk all the way back. So out comes the provisional. Blocked into the same woods. Another provisional, over the green into different woods due to anger. Finally, I usually give up and hit a 7-iron short of the green, then go find my first ball.

It just sucks. I have lobbied my course to make the right woods red staked. They are red staked on the other side, which faces hole 15, but on the hole 4 side, there aren't any stakes. It just takes too long to play the hole and I usually have the foursome behind me standing there watching shots 3 and 4 as it's a blind dogleg left from the tee, so they don't know I'm down there and hit up.

In a tournament two years ago I took a 13 as I kept snap-hooking the ball out of bounds. It was a little wet. I snapped the driver 1. Provisional, hitting 3, snap driver 2. 2-iron, hitting 5, snap 2-iron. 2-iron again, hitting 7, snap. Hitting 9 with a 7-iron. Made bogey on that ball for 13. On a 380 yard hole with as much room to the right as you could possibly want. I was 9-over on that hole, and 1 over on the other 17. Terrible.

You have just described my trials and tribulations over the course of the last week. I seem to 13 good holes 2 great holes and 3 absolutely retarded holes. I really must stop. Now that I am kosher with the Provisionals rules I feel better.

🔥 Latest posts