• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Quit your bitchin'!

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
I haven't bitched once.

In fact, I believe gas should be twice as expensive as it is now. That would make reality hit people faster that it is now.

R35

I've been seeing this written by more and more people and I'll never understand it. The reality of this is that the majority of the people hurt by high gas prices are middle and lower middle class workers. Doubling prices will hit them in the face and maybe even knock them down but it won't help.

One of the guys I play golf with has a lawn maintenance business. It's him and his son with one truck, one trailer and their equipment. He can't run that business driving a smart car and using a manual push mower. Higher prices just eat into his profit, that's it.

Rich people don't give a shit if gas is $20 a gallon. It's too small a percentage of their total income. They won't be giving up the Land Cruisers or Suburbans and they won't cut back on their driving.

The only reality of higher gas prices for most people is that they're spending more on gas.

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
The problem is that other countries do not have the large amount of business owners that the US does. Its is hard to understand why you need something more than a rice burner when you only commute 15 miles each day on the highway. A lot of people never need to haul more than their butt and golf clubs anywhere.

There is another group, the small business owner. He/she has a truck/van, and hauls his tools/equipment from job to job. This requires a larger vehicle, but it is more efficient than bringing the work to the shop.

The United States of America is the greatest country in the world to live and work for a reason. Traditionally, a good work ethic, belief in God, innovation, and a free flow of cheap energy. Cheap energy creates a better standard of living, simple as that. It creates things that make jobs easier, that make life better and more comfortable. It has helped create the American way of life, a standard we have tried to share with the world at the expense of our lives and treasure.

The argument that energy should be more expensive is naive. The only reason I can think of is that some have been drinking the global warming/ we don't deserve it kool-aid. I believe that these people should lead the way by stopping the use of anything that contains oil. Give up cars, air conditioners, graphite shafts, or anything with plastics. Until you do, leave me and my truck alone.

This whole "green" movement is just a way of evening the score with a blessed country who has worked hard to enjoy the prosperity it has. Look at yourselves, clean up your own act, then we can talk.

BTW, the USA has polluted less (increasing percentage wise) since the signing of the Kyoto treaty than the majority of signing countries, France, Australia, and the UK included. If you want to go back to the 13th century, God bless you. Just leave us alone.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
The problem is that other countries do not have the large amount of business owners that the US does. Its is hard to understand why you need something more than a rice burner when you only commute 15 miles each day on the highway. A lot of people never need to haul more than their butt and golf clubs anywhere.

There is another group, the small business owner. He/she has a truck/van, and hauls his tools/equipment from job to job. This requires a larger vehicle, but it is more efficient than bringing the work to the shop.

The United States of America is the greatest country in the world to live and work for a reason. Traditionally, a good work ethic, belief in God, innovation, and a free flow of cheap energy. Cheap energy creates a better standard of living, simple as that. It creates things that make jobs easier, that make life better and more comfortable. It has helped create the American way of life, a standard we have tried to share with the world at the expense of our lives and treasure.

The argument that energy should be more expensive is naive. The only reason I can think of is that some have been drinking the global warming/ we don't deserve it kool-aid. I believe that these people should lead the way by stopping the use of anything that contains oil. Give up cars, air conditioners, graphite shafts, or anything with plastics. Until you do, leave me and my truck alone.

This whole "green" movement is just a way of evening the score with a blessed country who has worked hard to enjoy the prosperity it has. Look at yourselves, clean up your own act, then we can talk.

BTW, the USA has polluted less (increasing percentage wise) since the signing of the Kyoto treaty than the majority of signing countries, France, Australia, and the UK included. If you want to go back to the 13th century, God bless you. Just leave us alone.
Spoken like a true Protestant, white Anglo-Saxon Republican!

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
I haven't bitched once.

In fact, I believe gas should be twice as expensive as it is now. That would make reality hit people faster that it is now.

R35

You are a fecking idiot.
I'm sitting here trying to think of a sensible reply to that and I can't come up with anything. So I am forced to speak to you as a brother.....

You are a fecking idiot. ;)

Gasoline is one thing but I have to heat my home in the winter and at twice the price....... I'm burning my furniture. Why would you want that??

The damage would be incredible.

I'm all for alternatives but right now there aren't any that are remotely affordable. Think of something else, how about we are allowed to access resources?

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
By the way.....Euro's get their eyeballs taxed out, thus the price difference.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006

Clug, you do an honor to white, Anglo-Saxon conservative Protestants.

Honestly, I hate it. Do I get hurt too bad? Nah, not terribly. Car gets great gas mileage, and I'm in a smaller city.

Who gets hurt?

My dad. Its getting to the point where owning his own quite successful business(relatively), he's not making anymore money. Thousand a week in fuel.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
unfortunately... no...
d@mn those asians.. the ones over here in the states are even worse. :hunter:

I'm laughing my a$$ off right now. Sorry, have to tell this man.

I was driving through a park, cutting through to get to the highway last month. It's only like 15mph. speed limit through there or something. I'm going around a corner and this girl who happened to be asian, Chinese I believe, drives past on the other side. No sooner does she pass me and I hear tires screeching. I look back just in time to see her smash into a "do not enter" sign and put the whole car up onto a grassy hill. A couple other people and myself went over to make sure she was alright. She was really confused and said she didn't see the sign till the last second. I felt bad, glad she was ok and very minor damage but GD... How the F do you take out a sign and drive totally off the road going 15mph. :D

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
I've been seeing this written by more and more people and I'll never understand it. The reality of this is that the majority of the people hurt by high gas prices are middle and lower middle class workers. Doubling prices will hit them in the face and maybe even knock them down but it won't help.

One of the guys I play golf with has a lawn maintenance business. It's him and his son with one truck, one trailer and their equipment. He can't run that business driving a smart car and using a manual push mower. Higher prices just eat into his profit, that's it.

Rich people don't give a shit if gas is $20 a gallon. It's too small a percentage of their total income. They won't be giving up the Land Cruisers or Suburbans and they won't cut back on their driving.

The only reality of higher gas prices for most people is that they're spending more on gas.
Yeah who's crying? We still drive our SUV's and figure it still bothers us less than most of the people less fortunate over here in the States, so we will wait and let them fight that battle. Kinda like the people on the other side of the pond that regularly blame our President for high gas prices. I'm not bitchin' and moanin', so why should our President spend his time and be held responsible for fighting your battles simply because it hurts us less? Sounds to me like he already fought that battle for the people over here to some degree. Same over here, it is a self centered attitude, but to me it does not affect me as much as others so it is really not worth my time to fight the battle for them.

Sorry for those that feel the gas crunch, but if it really bothers that many people that much, get off your @$$ and fight the battle. For me, I'm quite content using that time to simply make more money to curve the harm that it does. My wife drives 110 miles a day in a car that gets about 20 mpg, but that is all fairly unimportant in the sense that we would pay a heck of a lot more in living expenses by living closer, and risk not making anything by driving a smaller car that gets better mileage by being on a dangerous 4 lane highway at 70-80 mph 2 hours a day. As you said, the only realist reality to us is that we will pay more for gas.

If there are more economic means and people want to prove a point, like finding a job closer to home or a home closer to the job that would allow you to take a bicycle or walk to work, then if enough people did this it would certainly prove a point and possibly lower the prices. In doing so, it would also probably allow those like my wife to buy a more economic vehicle to drive on I-80 without risking safety if enough crazy idiots get off the road. That would save us all some money in the end, be more environmentally conscious for all of us, just so long as it doesn't mean I have to ride the bicycle. I would rather just pay more money for the time being and tell the gas companies to go pound sand when they bitch about having to pay .07 cents a gallon because I give them a credit card, and tell them if they have a problem then only take cash and I'll just go somewhere else for gas.

🔥 Latest posts