• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

R9 TP arrived

cyberious

Planet Love Tron
Feb 19, 2005
I picked up my R9 TP on my way to my weekly golf league. I walked on to the course and played it cold. I have to say that the hype is true. The ball leaves the face of this thing a lot faster than many of TM's previous clubs. I only missed one fairway and that was due to a bad swing and the wind. The sound and feel are great. It is a rocket launcher. It's easily 15 yards longer than my 425 TP and about 25 longer than my R7 Superquad TP.

Here are the Specs:
R9 TP
8.5*
418cc
Fujikura Motore F1 75g Stiff

OP
cyberious

cyberious

Planet Love Tron
Feb 19, 2005
Everything ive heard about these are that they are not as long as previous models.

It's long and straight. Very Hot face

As for the head size I believe the 10.5 is 422cc the 9.5 is 420cc, and the 8.5 is 418cc

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
$400/15 yards=$26.67/yard and cheaper each time you use it.:beach3:

Is that about right????

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
So, if the R9 is 420 CC, how many times can they uses the same marketing, and simply increase the size? I think its safe to assume at least 2. Look for the R9 435 soon!

We can mock TMAG all we want, they are a smart bunch. Brilliant business model.

West Coast Duffer

Orange County California
Oct 12, 2007
So, if the R9 is 420 CC, how many times can they uses the same marketing, and simply increase the size? I think its safe to assume at least 2. Look for the R9 435 soon!

We can mock TMAG all we want, they are a smart bunch. Brilliant business model.

Then we can have the R11 after that about a month later.

spartyon8

Cubbie Fever
Feb 23, 2008
Then we can have the R11 after that about a month later.

Not true! It will be at least 1-2 years before the r11. First they need to squeak out an r9 max, r9 max cgb, r9 max cgb limited, the super r9, the r9 draw, the r9 I need to find another reason to get people to buy me r9, etc.

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
I'm rarely smitten by new clubs, but for some reason I really want one of those. Not the TP, though.

JArmour

Go VOLS!
Jan 2, 2008
I played 18 holes with an R9 last week. Very nice club, it was the 10.5 regular flex. It actually worked out great for me. The only thing and I've heard this a few times on other forums is the feel is definitely different. Someone said it's because the shaft adapter doesn't go as far into the club head as a regular epoxy shaft does? I have no clue, but the feel between the R9 and my 425 are noticeably different.

Not a bad different just different. Overall I really liked it. I could see how someone coming from the 425 would get along with this driver quite well. My buddy who plays the Tour Burner said the club was much heavier feeling. It did feel a little heavier maybe, but I enjoyed it.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Not that I'll get one anytime soon but I've obviously heard it trashed over on WRX. I have to say that it actually makes me think it'd be worse for me if you hit it 25yds. longer than the SuperquadTP you sold me. That means the Superquad was a very poor fit and the R9 is a good fit. Which in turn should mean the R9 wouldn't be a very good driver for me. If I hit the R9 25yds. longer than the SuperquadTP I'd be driving 2-3 par 4's a round and reaching par 5's with short irons.

JArmour

Go VOLS!
Jan 2, 2008
I don't think it was any longer than my 425. That's just my experience though.

I hit the new Dymo 2 the other day and I really liked it. I played the 5000 last year and liked it too. My short list for this years driver will be the dymo 2 and the R9. Might take a look into the Dymo 2 str8 fit as well.

Also maybe the FTI LCG since its on the cheap through pre-owned.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I don't think it was any longer than my 425. That's just my experience though.

I hit the new Dymo 2 the other day and I really liked it. I played the 5000 last year and liked it too. My short list for this years driver will be the dymo 2 and the R9. Might take a look into the Dymo 2 str8 fit as well.

Also maybe the FTI LCG since its on the cheap through pre-owned.

Which one is the little square head? I saw it at the shop the other day and there was a square one that looked like it was less than 400cc's. That'd make an intreresting club to get in like an 11.5-12* and stick an X in there for a fairway machine.

extremeVFT03

golfaholic
Supporting Member
Apr 22, 2007
Country
United States United States
hit the R9 today and the face feels thick and not like my other driver's i was not impressed. but this was indoors at dick's and the guy would not cut the monitor on :(

JArmour

Go VOLS!
Jan 2, 2008
The Dymo 2 is square and the Dymo is the round version.

I'm going to give all three a go at the local spring fling demo day on April 26th. All of the big companies are there with their monitors. TM has the MATT there and will let you hit any driver and compare it to theirs. Should be interesting.

🔥 Latest posts