• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Rain Gear

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Last year during some tournament I purchased a pair of rain pants made by a company called second skin. It was a miserable weekend and I needed them, so I bought them without any research and just used my existing jacket.

Turns out, they were fantastic and one of the best golf purchases I have ever made. We ended up placing 4th or something in that tourney so I used some of the credit to buy the jacket that matches the pants. This I am not so pleased with. The water doesn't bead and shed like it does on the pants, more water seems to be absorbed, soaking my back. This is the same problem I had with my last jacket. I am wondering what other people have had success with? Is there some kind of teflon spray I can just spray the jacket with to waterproof it? I play quite a few tourneys and seem to have pretty bad weather luck, so I need good rain gear.

Thanks!

OP
VtDivot

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
On second thought, I prob should have just PMed Jayhawk... I bet he has like 6 different sets of rain gear, all scuba'd up with water sealant.

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
He loves everything made by Footjoy so I'm predicting he will recommend Dryjoy rain gear. :laugh:

bryguy

May 15, 2008
Go to Wally world and look in the camping section and pick up some of the Atsco silicone waterproof spray. Stuff works great. They also have the 3m scotchguard spray as well. I use them on all my breathable rain gear, as the durable water repellent finish is what causes the water to bead up. I have one of the foot joy suits and a zero restriction short sleeve rain shirt. Both had the issue you are talking about, treated them with teh Atsco, and the water beads up and runs off. Great stuff

OP
VtDivot

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Go to Wally world and look in the camping section and pick up some of the Atsco silicone waterproof spray. Stuff works great. They also have the 3m scotchguard spray as well. I use them on all my breathable rain gear, as the durable water repellent finish is what causes the water to bead up. I have one of the foot joy suits and a zero restriction short sleeve rain shirt. Both had the issue you are talking about, treated them with teh Atsco, and the water beads up and runs off. Great stuff

EXACTLY what I was looking for, thnx!

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
On second thought, I prob should have just PMed Jayhawk... I bet he has like 6 different sets of rain gear, all scuba'd up with water sealant.

He loves everything made by Footjoy so I'm predicting he will recommend Dryjoy rain gear. :laugh:
I do use Footjoy and have 2 long sleeve Dryjoy Tour rain shirts I picked up for .01 penny each, yeah, your read that right (They were normal $180 a piece). A light rain Jacket, a short sleeve rain jacket, and my the original that I bought about 6 years ago (probably paid about $250 back then) -- the Regular performance rain Jacket, Pants and Vest. I also use the Rain grip gloves as my primary glove.

Never had a real issue with any of them, and second to none for rain gear. Although the pants are older and had no belt straps, or velcro tighteners so I have to use suspenders to hold them up. Which I proudly use Red, White and Blue suspenders to show my patronage. Would hope the newer models have some sort of way to keep them up.

As far as warding off rain, none of them require any sort refinishing. Check Golfsmith or Golf Galaxy for deals.

IMO the vest is useless, I normally wear the performance one in heavy rain, however they get quite hot in the summer and the reason I have the short sleeve and light rain jacket in summer months. Took it out on the course tonight, even with the performance one in my bag, but fortunately did not have to use it as the weather was nice.

Plan to pick up some light pants when I see them on sale, however I only wear the pants when it is serious torrential rain, which I will play as long as the course is open.

Would certainly see no reason to use a spray on any of them. Have played in rains where I had to wring out my wet weather gloves after every hole but still did not have to worry about my clothes getting wet.

Cheers!!! :beach3:

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
... now as far as camping with tents, which I also due, a good coat of outdoor scotchguard will hold me over for a couple years. Can't imagine a rainsuit would be much different. :D

OP
VtDivot

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Excellent feedback as always Jayhawk.

I've been thru my share of raingear, but have never tried the FJ stuff. I have heard it is the cat's ass however. Turns out my wife actually had some of the silicone spray bryguy mentionned, so I am testing that on an older Hagen 3 in 1 jacket I have to see how it works.

I'd go full performance probably if I played more in the spring, but since most of my tournament play is in the summer I like the light duty jackets better (3/4 sleeve) so I think I am just going to try sticking with what I have and give this spray a try.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
It is actually suprising. My awesomeness has created a some sort of...forcefield, that rain simply moves around.

OP
VtDivot

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
It is actually suprising. My awesomeness has created a some sort of...forcefield, that rain simply moves around.

Why, very chuck norris-esque. I bet you're a popular fourball partner ;)

bryguy

May 15, 2008
Any of the breathable rain gear will require the durable water repellent finish to be reapplied at some point in time. I have a ton of breathable rain gear for hunting, fishing, and golf and all need to be retreated at some point. Even Gore Tex stuff needs the DWRF to be replenished. I have one of the footjoy pro pullover jacket and I even treated it with the Atsco stuff. Once it dries, it does not affect the garment in any way shape or form, just cause the water to bead up. Generally where rain gear leaks is around the zippers and seams. That is why quality gear works better, as more attention is paid to these areas than on cheapo stuff.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
I'd go full performance probably if I played more in the spring, but since most of my tournament play is in the summer I like the light duty jackets better (3/4 sleeve) so I think I am just going to try sticking with what I have and give this spray a try.
if you like the 3/4 sleeve, the short sleeve would do you well. While the Performance jacket models are noticeable more protection, I am not sure that the others would not be plenty of protection. Never had a problem, although for really heavy rain I do wear the performance jacket and pants unless it is brutally hot, simply because they were the first I bought and I already own them. If I were not known to play in all out rain, I would likely just go with the others. If I only played this time of the year, the short sleeve is the one I prefer to wear. You can get either short or long sleeve performance shirt right now for around $84 at Golfsmith.
Golfsmith.com: Search

I didn't mention earlier, but I would also highly recommend the bucket hat. If it is raining bad, you can pop the collar and zip up the shirt or jacket and the bucket hat will keep the water from running down the back. Very important IMO no matter the rain gear.
FootJoy.com Home Page > Men's > Accessories > Misc > DryJoys Bucket Hat

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
May as well post on here. Been looking for rain shorts outerwear. Anyone have any experience with any???

OP
VtDivot

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
The bucket hat is a must. I am ordering one - thnx

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I have some kind of jacket I bought at the Milwaukee Golf Show a couple years ago with long sleeves but they unzip to make a vest like jacket. It's also lined so gets warm unless I'm using it in the spring or fall.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.