• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Range Balls Made to Go Shorter Distance

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I've got the scoop. The kid who bought my Ping G5 filled me in. Range balls come in different "grades" that can be purchased for less and less distance depending on the range layout. The range his parents run (I don't go there much) only goes out to 250 yards. A guy hitting next to me said he normally hits a good one 340 yards and his drives were barely going past 200 yards. Mine were going only about 230 yards (about the same as his so he's exaggerated his abilities a little). The kid said that the balls they buy only are made to go 250 yards and don't go past 200 very often, even if Tiger hits them (just kidding). They buy:

Top Flite® Limited Flight Range Balls

So don't EVER take your yardages from hitting "range" balls at the driving range unless it's a very big driving range that uses top grade range balls.

Shea_Butler

Aug 31, 2006
to an affect your right. usually most ranges just buy less compression balls such as 70 or 80 so it goes that percent less than a higher end ball...

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
to an affect your right. usually most ranges just buy less compression balls such as 70 or 80 so it goes that percent less than a higher end ball...

Which is why a range session is only to establish form and shape of shots.

R35

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
No kidding, huh. I "donated" a few hundred balls to the range I go to. I did notice I was able to hit the woods on the fly but with their balls it doesn't happen very often. Just thought I was swinging well that day. It does make sense though. Balls at that range over 275 go into the long grass or the woods well behind the 250 sign. I don't really judge distance by much more than feel. I may take a glance at a yardage marker if I am near one but definitely don't use them as a calculation. Case in point, hit the #1 cap hole from right next to the 200yd. marker today, 7iron.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Ive learnt that if you use the same range enough, you can get "rough yardages" off the range. Know how you hit a club, we'll say 150 yard 9i (on course). Say you hit it to the 135 consistently at your range on a decent normal day. And off these are diff avg distances, on your "avg range" distance, you can adjust if your hitting the ball a little further or a little shorter. Ive found that range balls spin more and fly less (at least most of the ranges near me) so my mishits are exaggerated (spin wise side to side) and my distances are dropped aboot a club and a half.

Just my 2 cents

Dale

English Hacker...
Aug 12, 2006
UK
I am quite naughty though on the range, as I quite often spank at least 10 of the 'lesser' balls that I find round a course... I am never ever going to use them for a round of golf, be it competition or just social golf so might as well put them to use on the range!! :) (its also quite funny when standing next to your mate and he drives 250 to the back of the range, then you send yours out over the back fence!!! BIG DAWG!! (or non-range-ball-using-scum-bag) lol

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
I love hitting regular balls on short ranges, it makes me feel like a big boy.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
This has been known for yonks.We used to hit rubber lumps in the early 80s,deliberately made low compression to go farther,same as the Srixon,Dunlop and Toppies they get now.I think the difference is about 5 to 7 %.I reckon my 5 iron flies 195,and 185 on the range.

there are guys that swear its more,but I think they are sometimes a bit over optimistic,as golfers tend to be sometimes.

Jules150

Aug 29, 2006
Wow i never knew that range balls were made to go less far (I know, its bad english but you get the point), but i did get a feeling that my drives were not going as far, thats good info though. Now i wont feel like a chump at the range when i hit my driver 200 yards.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
The range balls up here have no dimples, are something I wouldn't waste the time to even pick up on a course. Yet they still dip them in red ink so no one will steal them. For me a range ball is simply something that tells me nothing about my shot and simply discolors my clubs with red ink. I gave up on ranges after moving up here.

Do you really think a ball that lies in the sun and rain for 8 hours a day, and has been hit 300 times will really travel as far as a shiny new ball?

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online