• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Range reports...not as bad as I was expecting

bryguy

May 15, 2008
Got a chance to get to the range for the first time on Monday after a many month lay off. Started out with wedges, and after a few crappy swings, it started to get better. Moved on up through the bag, and discovered that my swing had not completely left me. Granted, it ain't like it was when I had to step away from the game last fall, but it had not gone totally in the toilet either. Then went to the putting and chipping green and nothing to ugly appeared. Need to get my 'touch' back, but I have not lost everything. Headed to Myrtle Beach for 3 days of golf tommorow, should be rather enjoyable, with decent weather on Friday and Sunday, with Saturday being a little chilly. Should be a great time with my golfing crew.
One issue that has crept back in is the good ole 'slide' instead of turning. I will have to work on getting my core to turn instead of move left, but it should be a 'relatively' easy issue to resolve. I was very pleased to not have to completely rebuild my swing, but it still needs some work to get it whipped back in shape(that is a relative term with my swing).

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Great to hear your swing hasn't abandoned you. I took many years off from golf because of kids, then injuries. When I took it back up it was like learning the game all over again at 1st. Then one day it felt like I'd never quit.

Let us know how the trip goes. You'll need to post pictures for the poor lost souls up north who have forgotten what grass looks like. :laugh:

OP
B

bryguy

May 15, 2008
Let us know how the trip goes. You'll need to post pictures for the poor lost souls up north who have forgotten what grass looks like. :laugh:
Will do. Playing River Hills on Friday, Sea Trail (Jones course. which I will probably hate, me and his course design just do not agree) and Crow Creek on Sunday. Supposed to be upper 50's Friday, With it being 'cold' on Saturday, with highs ONLY in the upper 40's to low 50's, and close to the 60's on Sunday. I'll try get some pics for you guys.:biglol::killersmiley:

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
Got a chance to get to the range for the first time on Monday after a many month lay off. Started out with wedges, and after a few crappy swings, it started to get better. Moved on up through the bag, and discovered that my swing had not completely left me. Granted, it ain't like it was when I had to step away from the game last fall, but it had not gone totally in the toilet either. Then went to the putting and chipping green and nothing to ugly appeared. Need to get my 'touch' back, but I have not lost everything. Headed to Myrtle Beach for 3 days of golf tommorow, should be rather enjoyable, with decent weather on Friday and Sunday, with Saturday being a little chilly. Should be a great time with my golfing crew.
One issue that has crept back in is the good ole 'slide' instead of turning. I will have to work on getting my core to turn instead of move left, but it should be a 'relatively' easy issue to resolve. I was very pleased to not have to completely rebuild my swing, but it still needs some work to get it whipped back in shape(that is a relative term with my swing).

sounds like you know you swing quite well. It's always refreshing to hear from someone that goes to the range with a purpose. Congrats and have fun tuning up for the outing.:)

rolltherock

Dec 9, 2008

I feel your pain....I'm assuming you live in the colder climates? I used to live up north and there is no substitute for ball contact. You can make all the swings in a garage you want, but it just AINT the same as compressing the ball and turf.

I fight sliding at times too. Here is an unsolicited tip you may not know about that many people use, especially the Big Boys on tour. I actually saw Tom Kite using it about 20 years ago the The Memorial.

If you have and old shaft that is great, but even a dowell rod will work.

You can use it on either leg to cure sliding b/c you can slide in both directions, but it sounds as if you are sliding in your downswing.

Put the handle of the shaft against your left hip socket with the other end sticking in the ground just oustide your left foot(for righty's). If you slide into it you will know it instantly. Should give you great freedback and get you rotating around your spine in no time.....that or give you a blister on your hip!

OP
B

bryguy

May 15, 2008
I live in what I would consider a cold area(although there are many on here that would not consider NC cold, but is on my thresh hold), NC is about as cold as I can take in Winter. Not sure how those northern guys can stand it. We can at least play almost year round, loosing a few days here and there for weather. We lose more days to hurincanes than we do snow and ice.
I'll post my results in a seprate thread, it was a good trip.
That is a good tip, use the shafts in the ground a good amount, and it does help. Just need to slow everything down for a little while to get my swing regrooved, then should be good to go here before to long.

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
It's like riding a bike, or in my case it was like coming back to hockey. You never really forget how to play. Now I know hockey and golf are about as different as walking and running, but the story is along the same lines. I broke my shoulder in the playoffs of my last year junior hockey and with my age was pretty much forced to give the game up. Now 5 years later I've joined a rec. league and was worried if I'd forgotten everything. Like taking a trip to the range, I took a couple trips to public skating and thankfully in Canada we have pond hockey anywhere you look. The game is all still there, the muscles and lungs aren't what they used to be, but that will come in time.

Glad to hear you a back in the game and that you hadn't lost everything all together. Hope you keep enjoying it and improving like the rest of us strive to do as well!!

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online