• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Range session=grip change

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
I've been in a funk the last few rounds. I have been uncomfortable over the ball, having difficulty lining up in both planes. My ball striking has been consistently inconsistent. Weak high fades, occasional skulls, pulled shots , etc.

Hence the range session.

I went back to the basics and after 2 hours came away with some conclusions.

My grip was the basic culprit. My right hand had rotated to the left. Therefore I was doing all sorts of things to try and square up the club at contact--all bad.

To correct the grip I lengthened my left thumb on the grip and then gripped with the right hand. Sort of like Sergio does it. The long thumb runs along trhe life line of my right hand. Now I have a reference point. This grip has allowed be to visualize my swing plane. Happy days are here again!!!!!!!

Line up and stance is easy now. Shots are surprising reproducible and straight at target. The ball is coming of the club face with authority and my trajectory has come down. All good things. This is from driver on through wedges.

It's amazing how such a simple seemingly small adjustment affects my game. My swing is too fragile for my tastes.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
It's amazing how such a simple seemingly small adjustment affects my game. My swing is too fragile for my tastes.

Glad to hear you figured it out Zaph, and ain't that the truth, it doesn't take much to screw mine up either.

Funny how lengthening your thumb did the trick though. In my case it was shortening it. As my instructor said, "you want a short neat thumb", done in a Scottish barrouge.

MrT

Jul 23, 2008
Can you guys explain what the difference is between the two and how each would look?

This sounds like something I am working on.

Thanks!

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Can you guys explain what the difference is between the two and how each would look?

This sounds like something I am working on.

Thanks!

In my case my Instructor told me to draw my thumb up the grip, instead of fully extending it I draw it up which to a degree causes me to lay the shaft more at a 45º angle across the fingers of my left hand. I'm RH btw.

Kind of hard to explain in words though?

OP
zaphod

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
For a right handed golfer the "long thumb" griphas the thumb of the left hand maximizing the contact of the length of the thumb on the shaft. The "wee thumb" has the thumb bent at the last joint. How much depends on your hand size.

I suspect the choice of long or short depends on your type and grip. For me the long thumb helps me delay my wrist cock until hip height allowing be to better maintain my swing plane.

Whatever method allows you to swing with your hands working TOGETHER both going back and forward is the one for you.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.