• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Rangefinder advice

joeyo

Dec 11, 2007
I am in the market to buy a rangefinder partially because I noticed all my tournaments are allowing them and it seems like a great tool to have, Does anyone have any experience with them since this will be my first purchase of one. How is the battery life on them? Is it worth it to buy the real expensive ones? The gps handheld devices are out of the question because I'm not sure if I could use them and I'd prefer the rangefinder anyways.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
If I were to buy one today I would get the Bushnell Tour V2 with pinseeker. I have the earlier version (Pro Tour) and have used for 4 years with little to no problems. In 4 years, I have replaced the battery once. The one thing I wish I had was pinseeker technology. That really helps you pick up the right distance rather than hunting for the distance in scan mode.

If you go more expensive, I would avoid the one with slope indicator. That one is still illegal for tournament use. You can only use the ones that provide distance information if the tournament comittee allows it. The only thing the expensive ones do is give you distances from longer range. My Tour Pro gets me out to about 300 yards most of the time, in reality, I really do not need more than a 250-265 yard range. :laugh: The other drawback is size. The more expensive models are a lot bigger than the Tour V2 and Pro Tour. The cheapest model with pinseeker is the Medalist, but it is a bit larger than the Tour V2 so it is not as convienent to hang off your bag or put in a bag pocket.

I was able to snag my Pro Tour through Amazon.com for under $200 NIB so check around the internet as there are deals to be had. You may go through batteries more often than I did as if I recall correctly, your on a golf team and golfing a whole heck of lot more than I am. I use mine at both the course and the range so its probably being used, on average, 5 to 6 times a month. My battery lasted just short of 3 years.

Hope this helps,

ualtim

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I have the Bushnell Yardage Pro.

Pros: Compact. Great battery life (at least a year of fairly heavy use). 6X magnification. Decent scan mode. Water-resistant. GREAT Bushnell service.

Cons: Small size combined with 6X zoom makes it hard to hold steady enough to get an accurate reading of a small target (like a flag) at distances much over 200 yards. This isn't that big a deal, since I mostly use it for 50-200 yards anyway.

I'm happy with it overall, and for what I use a rangefinder for, it's great.

But if I were shopping today, I'd go with the one Tim recommended. The Pinseeker technology is what you want.

I didn't know the slope compensator was illegal...learn something new around here every day.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
I didn't know the slope compensator was illegal...learn something new around here every day.

USGA and the R&A ruled that distance information was common knowledge so it did not violate the spirit of the rules. Slope information is still considered gaining an advantage so it is not allowed.

I do not have the latest rulebook yet, so it is possible that rule may be more liberal than the last go around, but I do not recall reading anything about that particular decision changing.

fore142

Oct 22, 2006
I have a callaway one, and the main advantage of the callaway ones over the bushnells is the callaway ones are waterproof, instead of water resistent. They are aso much smaller. They have their own version of pinseeke

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
I've had great luck with the Bushnell Yardage Pro Tour. It is about 3-4 years old and I may have replaced the battery once. Although now that I have a GPS I don't use it as often.

Here is a link with more info on my experience.
http://www.shottalk.com/forum/equipment-talk/11102-range-finders-vs-gps-compared.html
Do a search on here for maybe "Rangefinder" or "Bushnell" and you will likely find a great deal of info. BTW, Slope compensation is illegal as mentioned earlier. Because it is up to the course to decide the legal use of a device on their course for tournament play, I think you would likely find that the GPS would likely be legal anywhere that allows Rangefinders.

FYI, in cold weather the Rangefinders are a little more difficult to use and the battery will drain faster, as with any device in the cold. Although I believe it is Lithium batters that are supposed to last longer at lower temperatures. So if you play in the cold, pay the extra for batteries rated to lower temperatures. I know mine get dim and harder to use in temperatures below 40*. While the GPS may hop around a little, it is much easier to use in the cold. Plus you don't have to keep it steady.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
I need about 6 beers before I can use one of those - I'm just too shaky lol

OP
J

joeyo

Dec 11, 2007
Thank you for all the information, a teammate of mine has the medalist from bushnell and I may be leaning towards that one. But the v2 tour with the pinseeker looks great too, I will be using this thing on average of about 5 times a week so I will prob go through the battery very fast.

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
I have the medalist pinseeker.....love it.

Utterly worthless in fog though......just so you know.

OP
J

joeyo

Dec 11, 2007
looks like I'm going to purchase the pro v2, now I just need to find a good deal on the internet. Thanks for all the help guys you guys are priceless

🔥 Latest posts