• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Rant!!!

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
I CAN'T PUTT!!!

I can lag putts as close as you want, but inside of 15 feet I am done. I shot 42 today in practice; the driver hooked a little, but I was sticking irons to 10 feet all day. No birdies. :( 2 doubles and 2 singles. I missed 3 putts in the leather, almost gimmies.

Yesterday I shot 40 in a tourney, should have shot even if I had any chance of making a 3 footer. 4 bogeys, 4 lipped out 3 footers. :(

My stroke is excellent, my teammates tell me, so it means I am crazy. Any advice, name calling, or any response at all is appreciated, probably.

Topflite_D2

Titleist Pro V1
Jun 26, 2007
TIGER TIGER TIGER :) I had an off day too but it wasn't just my putting it was my whole game. haha

5iron

I CAN'T PUTT!!!

I can lag putts as close as you want, but inside of 15 feet I am done. I shot 42 today in practice; the driver hooked a little, but I was sticking irons to 10 feet all day. No birdies. :( 2 doubles and 2 singles. I missed 3 putts in the leather, almost gimmies.

Yesterday I shot 40 in a tourney, should have shot even if I had any chance of making a 3 footer. 4 bogeys, 4 lipped out 3 footers. :(

My stroke is excellent, my teammates tell me, so it means I am crazy. Any advice, name calling, or any response at all is appreciated, probably.

That stinks man. This game is so mental so just relax and trust that your putting stroke is gonna get it there. Dont worry youll go back to normal !

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I would guess that you have developed a simple alignment problem. First, make sure that your eyes are over the ball or slightly behind it. I got into a habit of standing too far from the ball, and it introduced all kinds of problems. Use the old trick of addressing the ball, taking your stance and dropping a ball from the bridge of your nose. The ball should land right on top (or just behind) of the one on the carpet.

Also, have your friends check your putter alignment. Address the ball on a straight putt, then have your friend place a shaft on the ground, behind the putter, perpendicular to the putter face, so that you can step back and look at where the putterhead was aiming. It's a bit harder to measure shoulder alignment, and some people putt from an open stance anyway, but if you think you putt from a square stance, your friend can verify that your shoulders are lined up parallel to the target line.

If you're missing putts inside of three feet you've probably just developed a decelerating stroke (despite how good your friends tell you it looks...) Practice "pushing" balls into the cup from three feet out. No backswing - just put the putterhead against the ball and push it into the cup. Do that about 20 times, then take a 1-2 inch backswing and roll the balls into the cup with the same follow through motion. On short putts I like to see the putterhead passing right over the cup. Finish your stroke.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
Any advice, name calling, or any response at all is appreciated, probably.

Alrighty then: you suck.

:)

Have you read Rotella's Putting Out Of Your Mind? You gain control by giving up control, whatever that means. Actually there is a lot of good advice in this book, although it is a little touch-feely for my liking.

My putting went through a hopeless stage as well. I switched to a belly putter, so what do I know?

SCGolfer

Jan 12, 2007
X2 on reading Rotella's Putting Out Of Your Mind.....it helped my putting tremendously.

Maybe you are just overreading some shorter putts also....I had that problem for a while and finely just went to a firmer stroke and anything inside 3-4 feet I just fire into the back of the cup.....I started making a lot of little putts I was decelerating on and missing.

Jason

BoarderDave

SoCal Golfer
Aug 24, 2006
Torrance, CA
Country
United States United States
Grab 5-7 balls and your putter and go spend as MUCH time on a practice putting green as you can. Dont hit the same shot over and over... Randomly put the balls around the hole at different distances away (but all within a 15 ft ring) and sit there and putt and putt and putt as much as you can. Then come back the next day, and do it again..

This actually helped me a lot. Having the ball in random distances makes it so every putt you have to judge and feel the distance. If you keep hitting the same distance/break everytime, you'll get great at that putt, but if you keep yourself jumping around, you get better at it all.

It worked for me anyways.. just thought I'd extend my little experience. Good luck man. :D

OP
MIKE1218

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
I did a bunch of 3 foot, 5 foot, and 10 foot drills the other day at practice, then went out and shot 37, thought I had this crap figured out... 45 today in a tourney, 18 putts with 3 U/D!!! I suck!!!

🔥 Latest posts