• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Re-Gripping an old TaylorMade graphite shaft 3 Wood.

TopMaster

Sep 25, 2021
Country
United States United States
So I picked up a TaylorMade Titanium 3 Wood Bubble Shaft R-80 Regular Flex Graphite from EBay for little to nothing. The grips are worn out so I was going to re-grip, but when I got the old grip off, I noticed the butt end of the shaft is enormous compared to other shafts I have re-gripped.. I would never be able to get any grip that I have handy here over that huge end.. At least I am very hesitant to try it. Any ideas about this?
Thank you..

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
TM Bubble shafts had special grips due to their large core (.810 vs .580/.600 standard cores) Tacki Mac and Lamkin still make a replacement grip for them. Try a Google search for them and you should have at least two options.
So I picked up a TaylorMade Titanium 3 Wood Bubble Shaft R-80 Regular Flex Graphite from EBay for little to nothing. The grips are worn out so I was going to re-grip, but when I got the old grip off, I noticed the butt end of the shaft is enormous compared to other shafts I have re-gripped.. I would never be able to get any grip that I have handy here over that huge end.. At least I am very hesitant to try it. Any ideas about this?
Thank you..

OP
T

TopMaster

Sep 25, 2021
Country
Hello.. Sorry for the delay in getting back. We've had some annoying internet issues here locally..
Anyway here is a pic as requested. Thank you ualtim, I'll search that.. So you can see that the tape can't completely make it around the shaft at the butt end..
IMG_20211017_173154548-sized.jpg

OP
T

TopMaster

Sep 25, 2021
Country
So I found some sources for the .810" core grip, and a handy installer tool, but what about the tape? Is a spiral wrap required here? Thank you.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
So I found some sources for the .810" core grip, and a handy installer tool, but what about the tape? Is a spiral wrap required here? Thank you.
I would go with a spiral wrap as the normal wide grip tape will not be wide enough.

🔥 Latest posts