• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Re-Grips

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
Was contemplating offloading my irons and opting for a set of Miura hand-crafted forged irons, custom-fit an' all, but as they will sting me for a good few hundred, I am now just considering re-gripping my present set and letting them do me for a while yet.
What are you guy's fav. grips at the mo ? I am feeling those new 1/2 cord GP Tour Velvets (why didn't they do them in 1/2 cord long before ?!) or those duel compound multi-layer Golf Pride red & black ones. Have got 4 of my clubs re-gripped with that particular one in recent weeks, so will probs do that one. How often do you guys change or swop your grips ? I think manufactuers recommend you do it every 12-18 months, or something like that. Think it is fair to say the vast majority of club golfers do not nearly adhere to that piece of advice.
Has anyone seen or heard of those Miura irons, btw ? Think they're called 201 cb's, or something like that. They are the biz ! :japanflag

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Miura irons are sweet. A true player's iron.

As for grips, I'm a Tour Velvet guy. Cheap and simple. I haven't tried the dual compound GP's, but I have found that half cords are glove eaters.

I change my grips twice a year....once mid summer, and another time over the winter. Good grips are so under rated.

If you end up going with the Miura's, be sure to post some pics...

R35

OP
Andy_79

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
I just typed a shedload there and the thing mucked up on me ! Some 'fatal error' or something-or-other. Gutted ! :(
Anyways, will post tomorrow as have had a big weekend.
Laterz, doodz :)

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
I'm a fan of the GP Decade multicompounds (the red & black). I find I get really nice feedback and excellent grip with it. I'm thinking of redoing all of my clubs with them, but that stings a bit financially, I think it costs about $11 for the grip and labour here. I know I could theoretically do it myself, my SWMBO would kill me if I got that crap on the floor...and trust me, I would!

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Silver said:
I'm a fan of the GP Decade multicompounds (the red & black). I find I get really nice feedback and excellent grip with it. I'm thinking of redoing all of my clubs with them, but that stings a bit financially, I think it costs about $11 for the grip and labour here. I know I could theoretically do it myself, my SWMBO would kill me if I got that crap on the floor...and trust me, I would!

That stuff is environmentally friendly, and smells like oranges.

Dude, it's cool. Use a towel and an ice cream pail to catch the splashover. Buy the grips from GS and solvent too, it's like 5 bucks. You save yourself bundles doing them yourself.

R35

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
well, maybe I'll give it a go if I can find a badass deal on ebay or from GS or something for the grips

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
I have been playing Winn Excels for a few years now, but I am thinking about swithcing back to the GP Tour Velvets as well. Love the Winns; light weight which is great for increasing the swingweight, good grip, nice look in the Copper color, and vibration dampening. The only bad thing about them is the price.

I was thinking about Lamkin Crosslines instead of the Tour Velvets, but I am not sure about how well they hold up. Anyone play both the Crosslines and the Tour Velvets and have an opinion on which is better? I would go with the Tour Velvet light grips, but they only come in ribbed and I prefer the round grips.

Back to the link at hand, definitely re-grip'em yourself. A vice makes the job easier, but I have regripped clubs over the kitchen sink before (in an apartment, not in the house) without any major issues. On my workbench, I use a vice with a shaft protector and a plastic paint roller tray to catch the excess solvent for re-use. Piece 'o cake. You can re-grip your whole set in like 30 minutes to an hour and save a ton of money by doing it yourself.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
New Decade Multi-compound for me half chord at teh top and the softer red bit at the bottom,superb.I used to always play full chord but it shreds gloves and hands if you practice a lot.The duals are fantastic.

Jay McNasty

High Altitude Hacker
Aug 22, 2005
I thought I was sold on Tour Velvets until I actually went to Golfsmith and grabbed every grip they have for sale. I ended up getting the Golf Pride Players Sofftie. I find I like the feel of a wrap style grip a little better and the Sofftie was a bit softer than the Tour Wrap. It's an easy enough DIY job.

OP
Andy_79

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
Those Winn Excells both look & feel class, but they are of very little use to me here in the UK, unfortunately. They are great in the dry, and offer the best feel and performance out there, but come rain or generally pishy weather, they offer very little protection from the elements. Okay for many of you guys across the water, though :)

Yeah, I work in a Pro-Shop and we sell the Duel Compound for £7-95 a pop, which works out at about $13-50 or so, yeah ? They cost us just short of 4 quid ($7-40, or so) each, so that is what I'll be paying, and will also get the pleasure of putting them on absolutely perfectly :) 'Tis one of (very few) perks of the job, I suppose :)

We stock *loads* of the Lamkin Crossline, Ualtim, but imo they aren't as good as tour velvets. In my eyes they aren't, anyway. I like Golf Pride grips (in general) are of better quality, although I reckon the lamkins to last a wee bit longer.

Andy

OP
Andy_79

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
The Softie can 'peel' pretty easily from time to time. A few regrips I have done I have had folk bring them back a short time afterwards, complaining that the grip had began to peel off slightly. I have the Softie cord on my 3-wood and it is excellent. Again, it is dear, though...

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
Thanks for the info on the Lamkins vs. Tour velvets Dave and Andy 79!

I will probably end up with the Tour Velvets afterall as I was looking for an all weather grip. I have not had the wet issues with the Excel because I normally do not play in the rain down here in Florida as most of the rain showers come equipped with lightning which can do some real damage to the grip and anyone attached to it. I did play during a tropical storm the other week as we were on the outer edges, but I had the clubs well protected and the grips stayed fairly dry. Love the Excels, but my clubs are coming due for a regrip and I really do not like the cost associated with the Winns. I tried the Tour Softies, but I was not impressed with the grip as they are not as soft as the name implies. I thought about the GP Dual Durometer and the Lampkin Dual Densities, but they are almost as much as the Excels. I only wish that they made the Tour Velvet Light without that rib. I loved those grips (except the rib.)

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
ualtim...

I have Tour Velvets in my irons and Crossline in my driver. I regripped the driver this summer to a crossline just to try something different. I'll be switching it back to a GP Tour Velvet over the winter ;)

Do not put wraps on your irons please....

🔥 Latest posts