• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Re-Shafting... get your mind out of the gutter

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
I have stock OEM shafts in my driver and fairway woods. I am pleased with the driver but the 3 wood needs to go. When I catch it square that mother flies like mad, but if I get the slightest bit quick, it's bye-bye birdie... it hooks prob 30 yards left.

I've hit both the Blue and NV in S flex and wasn't impressed. While I have a fast enough swing speed and tempo, I just don't like the feel of these shafts, they feel dead to me. Ok on to my question: Does anyone have an aftermarket shaft experience that they would recommend other than the 2 i mentionned above? I am open to putting just about anything into my fairway metals, and if I like em I haven't ruled out sticking one in the Chief.

Buddha, Bravo, IG, Rockford, DI please weigh in on this one if possible :)

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
I have the Penley Tour Light shaft in my Sonartecs (14 & 19) and like it. It is an R flex. My swing speed with Driver is 96 MPH to give you some idea of how hard I go at it (or lack thereof).

This is a well respected shaft and was spec'ed by Sonartec as the OEM - which is unusual bc - as you know, the club companies usually put a pretty cheap shaft in there as it comes out of the factory. (Coss about $60 including installation - see below).

I will say that when I got my Sonartec 19 - I bought it used on ebay and it had an ATR 65 Stiff in it and it felt like hitting with a 2x4. I had it reshafted with the Penley (to match the shaft in the 14*). Very happy with the additional feel and distance. Also - BTW - I am a right-to-left player - so I can fight the hooks, like you do.

Your clubfitter there in Burlington will have the Penleys. These are definitely an option for your FW metals...

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Well, this response is pretty much useless, but here goes... ;)

I play the Grafalloy Blue because I love the feel of it. The harder you swing at it, the better it feels, in my mind. I know it can turn some people off as it plays with a little less torque than many out there, but for going deep, it's #1 in my book. The new Nano Blue prototype is getting alot of hype. I've never hit one, nor seen one even, but if it's anything like the Blue, sign me up. I'd stay away from the Pro Launch, it feels pretty 'routine' to me.

My second recommend is the NV from Adila. That shaft rocks. Put that in any 460 driver and go down town. I like it the most in the Launcher. Crazy long with incredible control. I saw one in the new Ignite at the shop that someone had installed, sick to look at, but I bet it just flies. And now with the NVS for high launch, you're gonna see every joe out there bombing the big dog.

Third, I'd go with the Graphite Designs YS-6. I guess it's the YS-6+ for this year. That shaft has traditionally been a great alternative to stock shafts and they offer a great lineup of different shafts for every swing speed. Perenially #1 on the PGA Tour according to the Darrel Survey, if i'm not mistaken. In my limited time with the YS-6 from last season, the shaft was great. It still didn't bump the NV or the Blue, but it would easily be a close 3rd.

I've also seen a big move to Penley and Fuji (if you have the cash for the "real" Fuji's....the rest are all out of the same batch...this from our local pro that was at a Fuji demo this winter in Phoenix).

I'm not sure how much this helps, but your best bet is to try each of them out. I know it's hard to get your club fitted up with the same shaft to get exact feel, but at least you can see how it reacts with you behind the stick and what you may say 'f-that' to right away.

The shaft is by far the biggest peice of the puzzle when it comes to woods. They really can make or break a wonderful/shitty peice of equipment.

R35

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
See my threads on the Fuji. It works for me, even though the Rock doesn't rate it as a "real Fuji". The Aldila felt a little harsh with little to no response. The Fuji gives me everything I need to know.

Only way you are going to know is to try. A lot of it comes down to how it is fitted as well, so make sure you talk to the guy who is fitting it once you have made you mind up. ie how it is trimmed. This can change the characteristics of the shaft quite a lot.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Personally, I have limited experience with the Fuji shafts. But alot of people claim them to be the bomb. However, after researching the models they speak of, most of those people that speak of their Fuji's as the bomb are the extremely high end models, like 400 bucks a shaft sorta thing. Way outta my league. But, the pro here told me that 90% of Fuji's found stock in OEM clubs are basically the same shaft, no better than anything you can get from the manufacturer.

But don't go by my gospel. Like I said, I ain't used many Fuji's. ;)

R35

OP
VtDivot

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
A good friend of mine plays the Launcher 460 with the Blue. I'll give that a whirl before I totally rule them out.

Why Rock are you ruling out the ProLaunch? You fly them too high?

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Ya, I hit my driver extremely high. 8.5* loft too. I attribute that to my long driving distances whilst my irons suck toilet.

I hit a 580 with the High Launch, it didn't do much to my drives. And, it felt a little more "whippy".

R35

obagain

Used club guru
Mar 29, 2005
Look at the new irod shaft for fairway wood. They are more responsive than the 2 you listed.

🔥 Latest posts