• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Re-shafting Steel irons with graphite

Hoganman1

Feb 10, 2018
Charlotte, NC
Country
United States United States
I know years ago this didn't work very well, but I'm wondering if it's easier today. I play a set of 2017 Taylormade M2 irons with Reax 88 HL steel shafts. As I just turned 70 and have occasional arthritis pain, I'm considering having them re-shafted with graphite. Is this a good idea and what shafts should I consider? Thanks for any input.

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
I've done this so many times I've lost count. It's EZ with a little experience and the right tools. The main consideration is head weight of your irons. Replacing steel with graphite may reduce the swingweight to a noticeable level for you. This is easily fixed with tip weights or cutting the final length a little longer (1/2"). Shaft selection is endless. Depends on your budget. Graphite iron shafts run from $10 to upwards of $45 each.

OP
Hoganman1

Hoganman1

Feb 10, 2018
Charlotte, NC
Country
I've done this so many times I've lost count. It's EZ with a little experience and the right tools. The main consideration is head weight of your irons. Replacing steel with graphite may reduce the swingweight to a noticeable level for you. This is easily fixed with tip weights or cutting the final length a little longer (1/2"). Shaft selection is endless. Depends on your budget. Graphite iron shafts run from $10 to upwards of $45 each.
Thanks.I thought it might be doable. I don't do my own work, but I have several good sources.

jhmeg2

Sep 16, 2011
Hancock, Wisconsin
Country
I went from project x steel, to matrix graphite. To new irons with project x steel back steelfiber graphite. Happy as a clam

OP
Hoganman1

Hoganman1

Feb 10, 2018
Charlotte, NC
Country
I may give it a try. I guess another option would be to trade-in my irons for a set with graphite shafts. That might even be cheaper as well.

🔥 Latest posts