• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Reason for Different Iron Lengths

baja

Oct 24, 2006
Why DO irons have the 1/2 inch variation as the club numbers progress, there must be a strong reason for that?

While awaking from a nap my mind went to the variability in swing that is caused by irons (and fairway woods for that matter) having the length variations that they do. Never having had an original idea, I googled that Q and found a couple of sites that promote the use of (and of course sell) irons of a single length--i.e. all irons cut to the length of a 7-iron. Their reasoning made some sense. Hence the qeustion above.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Try this one out. Take your 9iron and 5iron, now grip (choke) down on your 5 to the length the 9iron is. Figure it out?
icon10.gif

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Try this one out. Take your 9iron and 5iron, now grip (choke) down on your 5 to the length the 9iron is. Figure it out?
icon10.gif

Now take your 9 iron head and put it on your 3 iron shaft.

Any questions? :D

R35

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
You pose a very good question! This issue has been discussed, hashed over for many years. The issue even saw a prominent club manufacturing company in its heyday (Tommy Armour in the early 90's) market the EQL line. The EQL irons by Armour had all irons, 3-PW, the length of a 6-iron. The idea did not catch on and simply has never seemed to find credence in the industry. Why??

We carry a given number of irons with the idea there is a specific distance separation between clubs. With the same swing, most of us will have a 7-10 yard differential between, say, the 6-iron and the 7-iron. That distance differential is made physically possible through two variables... loft and length. It is easy to see how the clubhead loft affects the distance due to the trajectory. As a more lofted club 'sends' the ball on a higher trajectory, the arc of that trajectory brings the ball back to earth sooner than a lower, longer trajectory path. But, loft is not the only thing affecting the distance you hit a club. To get the differential between clubs, we also need to generate additional clubhead speed with the lower lofted clubs. The centrifugal forces generated by a longer swing arc simply see the clubhead of a 1/2" longer club traveling at a slightly higher speed. That increased length of swing arc, and consequential increased clubhead speed, contributes to giving us longer distances with longer clubs. Longer shaft, higher clubhead speed, lower trajectory...equals longer distance. Shorter shaft, lower clubhead speed, higher trajectory... equals shorter distance.

Whew! All the above, of course, is in a perfect world. Now, let's toss in two additional thought processes. First, even with the longer shaft lengths, some golfers simply cannot generate the clubhead speed to see a distance differential. Some less skilled golfers may hit their 3-wood as far or farther than their driver. Some may hit a 7 iron as far or farther than, say, their 5 iron. If we cannot generate sufficient clubhead speed to send the ball on a ballistically sound trajectory, we need all the loft we can get to see any distance. Hence, you will see many beginners carrying 3, 5, 7, 9, and wedge... or some "pieced together" bag. There is nothing wrong with that. No need to carry extra clubs if you do not have a distance differential between them. We also need more accuracy with our lofted clubs. Generally, the more lofted clubs are what we use for "sticking the ball close". If we attempt to lengthen, say, our 9-iron to 6-iron length we will lose accuracy. The longer the arc, the more room for miscues in face angle at the point of contact. The shorter the arc, the more controllable the clubhead. Many folks think they need clubs 1/2" to 3" over standard length. Then, when they begin using the new, extended sticks they can't figure out why they can no longer get the ball close to the pin. The arc has been extended and accuracy has been lost.

Sorry, you asked a rather simple question and I got a little carried away attempting to give an answer. It's simple... but it's not! Again, sorry about the length of response, but it really is a good question!

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Originally Posted by Rockford35 View Post
Now take your 9 iron head and put it on your 3 iron shaft.

Any questions?

R35

Do you recommend bending that 17 or 18* upright?

Doesn't matter. He just wants an excuse to use his new shaft puller. :)

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Yeah, will that let me hit a high 200 yd. shot that stops on a dime?

Well, assuming you hit your 3 iron 200 yards, it would probably be more along the lines of 150.

It's a combination of degree and shaft length.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.