• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Recommend drills to help me stop coming over the top.

74 thing

Sep 4, 2008
I have been fighting this problem for so long. When my backswing is completed and my upper body is in a coil, I almost always start the downswing with my shoulders and this leads to me being off plane, an outside/in swing, and I cut the ball causing a slight fade.

I have learned to live with it and even once in a while I do keep the shoulders back and hit it nice and square, but I would like to do it more often.

I know what the problem is, but have been unable to cure it. I was wondering if there were any drills that you would recommend.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Isn't there one with a towel under the right arm pit?

I've found starting the wrist cock very soon at the start of the backswing helps me keep from coming over the top. Seems to make me start the swing keeping the "v" instead of using my arms (hip turn).

keithpbz

Nov 18, 2007
Take a cardboard box to the range and set it up a 1/2 off the toe of your club and along the target line, if you hit the box you are coming over the top. I do this with a 2x4 but I use it mainly to set up square, this solved my over the top move in 1 afternoon.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Take a cardboard box to the range and set it up a 1/2 off the toe of your club and along the target line, if you hit the box you are coming over the top. I do this with a 2x4 but I use it mainly to set up square, this solved my over the top move in 1 afternoon.

I do the same thing with a shaft laid down. It looks like this...
icon10.gif

YouTube - shanker

OP

74 thing

Sep 4, 2008
Thanks for the tips guys.

Do you think about anything to help stop it or just by placing an object there do you automatically adjust to not hit it?

I am looking forward to trying these drills!!

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Basically I think of it like this. The clubhead on the backswing comes straight back on the target line for as long as it can until my shoulder rotation brings it inside. On the downswing the clubhead goes inside, square, inside. Like a curved path with the ball right in the way. With the shaft a few inches outside of the ball, you should never hit it. In the video I $hanked it and it was OTT but a different issue. I was underplane on the backswing and had to do like a reverse-Furyk to get it back onplane. I've got that worked out now... hopefully.
icon10.gif

SCGolfer

Jan 12, 2007
My dad carries around a 2x4 just for this. Your mind isn't gonna let you hit it.

I myself go with something under your right arm as WBL suggested. A headcover, towel, glove....even one of those squishy balls for angry people works. Hit the ball without dropping it and you will start to pull the club down the line. I even do this with my glove on the tee if I am not hitting the ball well that day. I start every bucket at the range with about a dozen 3/4 7 irons with a towel under my arm. This is my go to drill when I start to get outside the line from the top.

Jason

keithpbz

Nov 18, 2007
My swing is very comfortable to me and I have no swing thoughts when standing over the ball, I miss when I get on my toes in my follow thru, so my only thought is to stay back on my left heel in the follow thru and every ball I hit at the range I use the 2x4 for alignment

Manavs

Bodybuilding Golf Pro
Dec 19, 2008
to come over the top your path is from out to in and you either will hold the face open -
starting the ball left slicing it back to center, (most common)
or
close the face and hit it left of left (less common).

focus on hitting thru the inside back quadrant of the golf ball to the outside front quadrant of the ball with a closing face.

because you would most commonly hold onto the face coming over the top (not releasing the face), doing this in to out action would result in a huge push. which will happen in the first few shots - dont worry about this. just keep hitting shots on this path and focus on releasing the face through the shot with this in to out path.

this problem requires a 2 fix issue, path then face.

keep us posted
Mikey

OP

74 thing

Sep 4, 2008
Thanks guys for all of the advice. I am going to put in some work time this weekend and will report back.

OP

74 thing

Sep 4, 2008
Well the 2x4 drill works very good. By doing the drill my ball striking improved with my irons and the fade went away and I even started drawing the ball. I was hitting the long irons really well with a draw-awesome!!

I am still fighting a problem with the driver though. I hit the last 30 balls with the driver and the first 20 were pathetic-weak fades, still cutting it.

I tried to be patient and not get frustrated so I slowed down the swing, and really lightened my grip, but was having the same results. Then I took a backswing and slowly dropped the club down to the ball as if I was going to hit it and noticed that there was not enough room for the longer driver shaft to clear causing me to come from out to in. I dropped the rear right foot back a few inches and sure enough 3 of the last 5 balls I hit really well. The guy in the stall next to me even commented nice shot-I told him good thing he did not see the first 20.

Anyway I need to still work on this. When I got home I was thinking what caused this and maybe I had my arms too close to my body or something. I was wondering if you guys can provide me more suggestions on what to work on.

Thanks for the help.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
If it helps any, I hit fade with the driver. I can get further away from the ball, get more extension and kill it up the middle at the range. On the course, too many blocked shots to be useful. I get a little closer to it, feel open to my target and just clear my left hip hard on the downswing. When I'm on my game that'll cut 3-5yds. every time. All I'm looking to do is put it in the fairway. I've got plenty of distance for the courses I play, can reach every par 5 in 2. It's all about having a consistent shot that I can put out there in play.

IMO, anyone who tries to setup square, hit a driver straight and blocks it off right a lot should at least give hitting a cut a real shot.

OP

74 thing

Sep 4, 2008
This could be part of my problem...

I was checking my set up and alignment in the mirror. With my irons and even up through my three wood everything was square and positioned properly. Then when I took the driver and addressed the ball and looked up to the mirror I discovered that my shoulders are wide open. I think it has to do with the ball being positioned so much forward compared to the other clubs. When I dropped my richt foot back as I did at the range and looked up then the shoulders were now parallel to the hips and knees. I seem to be getting there, but there is always something to work on.

How do I keep from opening the shoulders if the ball is forward for a drive? I automatically rotate at the waist for the forward ball position and this leads to my shoulders being open. I think I have been doing it so long that it is hard for me to feel the proper position.

stllefty

Dec 30, 2008
St. Louis Missouri
Country
United States United States
Harvney Penicks ,(Master Golf Teacher-The Little Red Book) His move will cure your over the top , First move on the down swing at the top, is to drop the rear elbow to the ribs (Side) ,this sets the club in a position on and lags the wrists at the same time. sets the club inside track to the ball.
Over the top is gone. If you cant do this move ,check your grip.

Johnny Par

Supporting Member
Sep 5, 2006
Harvney Penicks ,(Master Golf Teacher-The Little Red Book) His move will cure your over the top , First move on the down swing at the top, is to drop the rear elbow to the ribs (Side) ,this sets the club in a position on and lags the wrists at the same time. sets the club inside track to the ball.
Over the top is gone. If you cant do this move ,check your grip.

I actually tried this at the range yesterday. Worked like a charm. Instead of my usual over the top pull, I was actually hitting the ball straight, sometimes with a slight fade.

I also tried the 2x4 method. I simply took the rubber range ball tray and set it up on the mat.

🔥 Latest posts