• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Recommend drills to help me stop coming over the top.

rolltherock

Dec 9, 2008
I have been fighting this problem for so long. When my backswing is completed and my upper body is in a coil, I almost always start the downswing with my shoulders and this leads to me being off plane, an outside/in swing, and I cut the ball causing a slight fade.

I have learned to live with it and even once in a while I do keep the shoulders back and hit it nice and square, but I would like to do it more often.

I know what the problem is, but have been unable to cure it. I was wondering if there were any drills that you would recommend.

It's difficult to diagnose exactly, but if you feel your arms are initiating your move from the top then chances are you are coming over the top as you stated.

Body rotation certainly depends on how much hip turn you are getting, but one thing I fought for years was driving with my hips and then not finishing the release of my hips and then the arms would catch up and race across my body. It was a protection mechanism for what I didn't pick up on....3 tears of the medial meniscus in my left knee. My body said 'uh, no way, you are not finishing hard on the left side'. Once I had surgery I fired all the way through and stopped coming over the top.

I hate to give golf advice and advocate professional eyes, but since you asked:

Make sure you are staying connected with the arms to the body. This is a great way to ensure your legs/hips are powering the golf swing. Don't be afraid to exaggerate this move early on and don't even hit balls at first....just feel as if you cannot get your upper arms off your chest....sewn right onto your torso. Then worry about speeding things up when you are making good contact with abbreviated swings.

Post surgery this is all I did b/c it's all I could do.....and it really helped me reaffirm the connection b/t my arms and body. If you stay connected it's extremely difficult to come over the top if your setup is square and proper.

Two great drills:
1. Put the butt of your 7 iron in your belly button. Raise it up to waist level like you are playing T-Ball. Take small swings back up to waist high and at that point the club will start to pull away from your belly, but keep it all connected gong back. Chances are you are disconnected on the way to the top as well. You can also use this move in a downswing manner and go from waist high to a simulated impact position, obviously not hitting any balls. If you keep the butt of the club in your belly you will have to power it with your lower body movement.

2. As mentioned earlier, a towel under EACH are will give you instant feedback on upper/lower body synch. I keep two wash cloths in my bag for practice to this day:)

JasonMacIsaac

Titleist and Cleveland
Feb 23, 2005
This is near impossible to stop with one drill.

- Get a belt, tighten it around your elbows and hit ball after ball, this will keep you connected through your swing. Ben Hogan did this.

- Get a towel, roll it up then stand on it so it forces you your weight on your heels. If your weight gets to your toes then you come over the top and stand up through the shot. If the weight is one the toes through impact you won't clear your hips which will eliminate any chnace at serious lag.

These are two drills I do all the time and my ball striking, lag, and distance have all improved. Plus my swing looks a lot nicer on video.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Haney says if you just take 100 practice swings each day (any club, any speed) you will get much better. Of course you try to make these good swings. :D

Splunge

Supporting Member
Apr 29, 2014
Massachusetts
Country
Haney says if you just take 100 practice swings each day (any club, any speed) you will get much better. Of course you try to make these good swings. :D
I actually do this, Diddnt know Haney advised it. I think it helps my control over the club, and general comfort with the swing that I have, it kind of builds muscle memory, and helps eliminate bad swings to an extent.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I actually do this, Diddnt know Haney advised it. I think it helps my control over the club, and general comfort with the swing that I have, it kind of builds muscle memory, and helps eliminate bad swings to an extent.
This was his reason.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country

What if all 100 practice swings were bad swings? Wouldn't that ensure a bad swing instead of eliminate it?

Hoganman1

Feb 10, 2018
Charlotte, NC
Country
I like Hank's advice on 100 swings a day. I'm going to start doing that tomorrow. By the way, any news on Hank. I know he recently "fell from grace" for some questionable comments about the LPGA. I always enjoyed his program on the PGA Tour Network.

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
Harvney Penicks ,(Master Golf Teacher-The Little Red Book) His move will cure your over the top , First move on the down swing at the top, is to drop the rear elbow to the ribs (Side) ,this sets the club in a position on and lags the wrists at the same time. sets the club inside track to the ball.
Over the top is gone. If you cant do this move ,check your grip.
Just do like Eddie Merrins and Ben Hogan taught. Keep your elbows close to the ribs through the swing.

As a matter of fact, I think everyone needs a copy of Eddie Merrins' "Swing the Handle" video series. Awesome method.

Hoganman1

Feb 10, 2018
Charlotte, NC
Country
Just do like Eddie Merrins and Ben Hogan taught. Keep your elbows close to the ribs through the swing.

As a matter of fact, I think everyone needs a copy of Eddie Merrins' "Swing the Handle" video series. Awesome method.
Thanks. Believe it or not I went back and read Hogan's book and that has helped a lot.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.