• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Recommend me some irons

Rynamite

100 handicap and rising
Jan 17, 2006
Hello, I'm new here and first want to say Great Site! I have been a wannabe golfer for a few years. I only played in a couple fundraiser tournaments and a few times on vacations. This year my company is paying for my membership at our local country club. So I'm finally going to do what I've wanted to do for a few years, and play golf very often.

Up until now, I have just used some cheap clubs that I bought off of ebay. They're Macgregor permimeter weighted clubs with steel shafts. They were fine for par 3's and the driving range etc. But this year I want to get myself a decent set of clubs to get started with. A set I can keep for a few years and be happy with even as my skill level increases. From what I've read, permimeter weighted is the way to go when starting out. I would like to get something nice. Taylormade etc. that I can keep for awhile. I'm looking at spending around $400. More if necessary. Let me know what you guys think.

I don't know if any of this matters, but I'm 5'11" tall, Right handed, 22 years old, and have a decent basic understanding of my form and grip. My coworker is a pretty good golfer and has helped me out a good amount.

Any help would be great. THANKS!!

Davebud

Crackhead Zebra
Oct 31, 2005
What have your scores been

I am also a new golfer, just wondering how your scores look and how far do you hit it?

OP
Rynamite

Rynamite

100 handicap and rising
Jan 17, 2006
Well most of the times i've golfed they have been scrambles, and we had had some good guys on our team... so we ended up 7 under. (We actually used 5 or 6 of my shots... so that's not THAT bad)

I golfed a 118 one time I golfed... the other times I didn't even keep score... we just went for fun.

I can hit my driver 225-250 consistently at the driving range. But I can hit my lower irons pretty much just as far.... so obviously I'm doing something wrong.

So I have a lot of work to do. I'm looking forward to it.

Davebud

Crackhead Zebra
Oct 31, 2005
My first thought

Stick witht the irons you have until you get under 100, thats my current plan. On the other hand try out some new fairways and a couple of drivers. What fairways do you carry?

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Rynamite said:
Well most of the times i've golfed they have been scrambles, and we had had some good guys on our team... so we ended up 7 under. (We actually used 5 or 6 of my shots... so that's not THAT bad)

I golfed a 118 one time I golfed... the other times I didn't even keep score... we just went for fun.

I can hit my driver 225-250 consistently at the driving range. But I can hit my lower irons pretty much just as far.... so obviously I'm doing something wrong.

So I have a lot of work to do. I'm looking forward to it.

Sir,

I'll have to agree here with Davebud. Keep your existing clubs.

New equipment can instill confidence, but there's nothing worse than getting that cool new set of irons, only to see your scores not improving.

I recommend lessons. A few hours with a qualified and understanding pro can be worth it's weight in gold. He/she will be able to get you on track to focusing your thoughts towards better swings rather than the quick fix of some new clubs.

Once you start to play a little better, go and get fitted for a set. Don't necessarily buy, but find your flex, swingweight, length and set makeup. That way, you can start to narrow your search down.

We all can recommend iron sets to you, but only you and you're knowledge of your game are going to truly know what will work best with you.

Lessons. An outstanding investment to any budding golfer. I guarantee it.:)

Good luck, and let us know how they go!

Cheers,

R35

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
United States United States
Rynamite, I just went through a similar "big" decision in my life last spring. I was fitted to Ping G2 irons and love them. Understand though that in order to do something like that and still make it a worthy expense you need to be a consistent ball striker. The pro who fit me said "you need to be able to hit about 7-8 (out of 10) well struck shots, not perfect, just good contact, to make this worth it to you." So he watched me, said I was a good candidate for an upgrade. I love knowing that my irons fit my swing, and I love the feel of the Pings. Great clubs. That is the route I took and would recommend to anyone. There is a reason they are called the "Pro".

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
What Rockford 35 said.

Spend the money on some lessons and then start to worry about some new clubs. I played a mixed bag of clubs for several years while I was learning the game consisting of a Wilson starter set 3-5-7-9 irons, 1-3 woods and a putter with some Northwestern mixed irons 2-4-6-8 that I picked up at a local discount store (Building 19 5/8 or something like that). Not the best set I ever had, but it did not make much of a difference while I was not a consistant golfer. Once my skills become more consistant, I bought my first matched set but even then it was not top of line equipment.

If your clubs are hurting your game, the pro giving you lessons will point that out.

Hope this helps.

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
Mizuno MX-23 are nice.
It can be night and day switching from some crappy set of irons.
And for lessons, I don't know. I took some lessons when I started and it didn't helped me, since I'm an autodidact. In fact, it got worse the more I practiced with what the teacher prescribed.
But to each their own ;)

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I recently changed from a set of Cleveland TA-7 irons (regular sensicore shafts). They are superb clubs. I tried out five different sets (
Ping, Hogan, Wilson Deep Red, TalylorMade, and then bought the TA-7s. I have played them for 4 years, and just felt ready to move up to a more blade-like irons. The TA-7s will do you right.

Better yet, visit www.golfreview.com, looking for reviews by people who sound like they have a game similar to yours. Narrow your search down to 5 sets. Then find a retailer that will let you demo clubsets (or at least individual irons.) Then be a nice person and buy the clubs from the retailer that spent the money to stock the clubs, to help you in your quest.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.