• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Recommended swing speed shaft question

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
I'm going to be real honest here. I have no idea what shaft flex is for. Call me what you will, I can take it.

Especially when it come to steel shafts. The way I figure it, the stiffer the flex in steel, the lower the launch and spin will be. Is this correct? Does it affect shot shape?

Here is why. The RSS (recommended swing speed) for iron shafts would put me very very firmly into the X100 category. But I consider my ballflight very good with the mid kick stiff actionlites in my irons. High sometimes, but not too bad. I'm not looking to change, I'm just curious.

So could someone explain to me what stiffness is for, and how its different from graphite to steel. Thanks

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Flex is just a generalized, unstandardized measure of bend or feel of a shaft. There is no guarantee that a stiff flex from manufacturer A is the same as manufacturer B.

You're recommended SS is a much better way of selecting shafts blindly. I say that because without being able to test those shafts, you're just shooting blindly in the dark, hoping to find something that works for your particular swing. Those numbers are just recommendations, but really mean nothing.

I play S+ in my driver, S in my fairway woods, and R+ in my irons. My wedges are S and S+, so as you can see, it's not just like looking up the corresponding number in a chart.

Have a look through this. It is alot to swallow, but it basically puts feel and flex into a quantitative number that should make it easier to understand. Find the shafts you're looking at, and what you're playing and you can at least get a feel for what they may or may not play like.

Cheers,

R35

Attachments

• Shaft_Comparison_Guide.pdf
    194.8 KB · Views: 3,037
OP
Clugnut

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
Wow, thats a lot of info. So my short, mimimal wrist cock backswing coupled with my 105-108 mph swing speed means I should be using a really stiff shaft, according to that. Will stiffening shafts make me more accurate without lowering ballflight considerably?

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Depends on the shaft. If it's softer tip, low bend, then it'll be higher launch, even in stiff flex.

Are you a low ball hitter? Need help getting it up? ;)

That's pretty common. Hence why there are so many low kick iron shafts.

R35

OP
Clugnut

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
Depends on the shaft. If it's softer tip, low bend, then it'll be higher launch, even in stiff flex.

Are you a low ball hitter? Need help getting it up? ;)

That's pretty common. Hence why there are so many low kick iron shafts.

R35

I'm not a low ball hitter with my irons. The reason I'm asking is b/c there is a set of irons out there in cyberspace that have x100's in them, and I don't know if I could hit them

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
My SS with a driver is around 110-112. I can't hit X100 irons - no chance.

R35

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
Hey Rock, thanks for posting that guide again! I didn't save it the last time it was posted and I've been too lazy to go search for it.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Wow, thats a lot of info. So my short, mimimal wrist cock backswing coupled with my 105-108 mph swing speed means I should be using a really stiff shaft, according to that. Will stiffening shafts make me more accurate without lowering ballflight considerably?

Clugnut

We have the same ss and short backswing. I play 251 frequency (stiff NVS) in my driver and (stiff GD YS-7+fw) in my FW and reg in everything else. sssmokin plays reg flex ProLaunch in his SQ which has a 249 or 250 frequency. Both the NVS 65 stiff and ProLaunch 65 reg have a 92 DSFI.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Great guide Rock, Thanks!!!
Just curious, I see that is Chapter 4. What book, guide, or website did that come from?

It looks like a fitters guide, is the rest of it an online resource or one you can find somewhere else?

🔥 Latest posts

Members online