• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

recommned me a laptop

OP
dave.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
hmm, thanks for the advice, not sure I am more the wiser but thanks anyway

He is a rock climber, not a geek so a Mac is out of the question, and he games on Xbox so need for Deep Blue, plus he has an Ipod Touch so no need for a huge drive for music I want to get one that will last 5 years into university, so Windows 7 and decent WIFI plus 80gb is all he needs

I suppose Acer looks like the best for value

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
I've got an HP 17in big boy, and I've had it for hell... 4-5 years now. It's been dropped more time than I can remember.. I've killed one hard drive, and last year my keyboard went out. All were fixed by HP, no questions asked, and quickly.

I also got a battery replaced, and it works better than ever.

My girl has the newest Mac.. She loves the hell out of it too. It's cool some of the features, but like I said.. I think it's much like her iPhone.. It's more geared towards everything "not that productive". More glitz..

Anything these days will work to be honest.. It's how much you want to spend, and how you'll use it.

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
Basically after reading through all this I have learnt one thing.

Every brand of machine will develop some sort of problem. It will be down to pure luck as to the severity of the problem and the customer service rep you get as to how you perceive the company in future.

Seriously guys, buy one of any of the brands and hope you get lucky! That's all it is.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
Basically after reading through all this I have learnt one thing.

Every brand of machine will develop some sort of problem. It will be down to pure luck as to the severity of the problem and the customer service rep you get as to how you perceive the company in future.

Seriously guys, buy one of any of the brands and hope you get lucky! That's all it is.

Exactly.

Unless your one of those thumb-ring wearin' hipsters, then buy a mac and find your local coffee shop to "browse" at.

OP
dave.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
yeah, except the title of the thread was a laptop for 300 pounds, a Mac costs over a grand. Do all Mac users have an inate ability to ignore the bleeding obvious just so they can talk about their beloved machines?

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
yeah, except the title of the thread was a laptop for 300 pounds, a Mac costs over a grand. Do all Mac users have an inate ability to ignore the bleeding obvious just so they can talk about their beloved machines?

Yes. Who cares how much it costs. It's COOL!

OP
dave.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
yeah, but so what. I knew in advance that someone would say 'buy a mac'. The internet seems to be full of people keen to tell you they are Mac users and how cool they are, to the point its no longer cool and this is hurting the brand. ie. The fact that many of their buyers are utter twats. Imho, Microosft are starting to look cool simply because you don't suddenly turn into an insufferable oaf overnight when you buy one of their products.

🔥 Latest posts