• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Rediculously long hacks?

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
I'd really like to know how they do that. :(

Yesterday I shot a 79, but according to the GPS, my best drives were carrying 220 yards. :(

Having to hit hybrids into par 4s sucks.

niblick

Jun 13, 2007

Yesterday I shot a 79, but according to the GPS, my best drives were carrying 220 yards. :(

Club head speed is something some people just have, imo. Doesn't mean they can play though.

Highdraw34

Mar 27, 2006
I've played with some good athletes who hit the ball a mile. I swear sometimes the ball travels 400 yards in the air but never, ever in a straight line. The harder you swing the more spin you generate. If those guys we speak of realized this and swung 75 percent they would hit the ball just as far and probably straighter. That's the beauty though, the spoils belong to the dedicated and intellectual in this game, not the tall strong and fast.

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
The secret in not to swing hard, but to swing fast and connect solidly in the sweet spot.

See, golf is easy.:D

295yards

May 5, 2009
Club head speed is something some people just have, imo. Doesn't mean they can play though.

People who hit the ball farther have more issues to deal with!
To hit a ball around 300yards, you need roughly 115mph clubhead speed and a solid strike.
Squaring the face of these big headed drivers while swing 110+ mph is very hard to do when you buy a stock driver @ $500 with a ridiculously softer shaft than listed. Most long hacks assume they have been fitted when they go into a local golf store and are handed a new TM with a stiff shaft.
You can also factor in how hard it would be to hit 300 yard drives and keep them in the fairway. Every ball at some point would be out of play if it never came down!
Just because someone can bunt one out 200yards and it is in the fairway all day doesn't mean they can play.

295yards

May 5, 2009
I resent my drives being called bunts.

I prefer them to be called distance challenged drives.

I never meant you were bunting the ball!
I was refering to the other guy beside you in the fairway, you just made eye contact when I was speaking to him.:shark:

Honestly, I have no problem how anyone plays the game. ( not that I think you are bunting the ball BTW ) There are thousands of different types of golfers out there. The posts posted ( by 21handicaps too, BTW ) are assuming all longer hitters are hitting OB and have terrible short games while shorter hitters can get up and down out of garbage cans to save par.
The only time I've seen anyone near a scratch golfer who hit a ball ridiculously short was on a course under 6000yards long. they're short game scores were good, but form was crap. Flippy, wristy chips, chicken wing crispy chips and pitches with stabby puts on holes they've played everyday for the last 15years.
They were great guys and alot of fun to golf with and said the same about me!

295yards

May 5, 2009

Like you said. It makes the game harder having longer shots in.
That being said, I never posted better scores after I put driver in my bag and started hitting longer drives after 3years of 3woods.
I only got better after I learned to hit putt, hit partial wedges, and chip...in that order.
After that, learning course mangement and knowing my dispersion was probably the next big breakthrough.
If I'm trying to score well I never go for a par 4 if there is trouble, both left and right when I can lay up with a mid iron and have a short wedge in for an easier par, maybe birdie. But....I always hit driver on par 5's! even if I can't reach it in 2. It just makes sense. If i kill it. I can go for it or have the options of hitting an easy second to place my ball to a certain yardge or spot.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
I was kiddin' ya. :D

The last couple of tourneys I have played in were 2 day events that some of the "better" local ams play in. Scores range from 66 to 90, but most are in the 74-76 range.

The "flatbellies" play from the blues (around 6800 yards) and we "fatbellies" play from the whites (around 6400 yards).

Every single one of the "fatbellies" I have been paired with out drives me. :( Sometimes only by 10 yards. Sometimes by 50 yards.

My short game from 100 yards in is darn close to theirs, but having to hit hybrids 4, 5 irons in to par 4s is killing my score.

I'm not puny, or even in terrible condition, but I just can't seem to hit the ball as long with ANY club as good golfers can. I'm convinced it's a technique problem, but it's very difficult to find a competent instuctor around here unless you belong to one of the more expensive private clubs.

295yards

May 5, 2009
I was kiddin' ya. :D

The last couple of tourneys I have played in were 2 day events that some of the "better" local ams play in. Scores range from 66 to 90, but most are in the 74-76 range.

The "flatbellies" play from the blues (around 6800 yards) and we "fatbellies" play from the whites (around 6400 yards).

Every single one of the "fatbellies" I have been paired with out drives me. :( Sometimes only by 10 yards. Sometimes by 50 yards.

My short game from 100 yards in is darn close to theirs, but having to hit hybrids 4, 5 irons in to par 4s is killing my score.

I'm not puny, or even in terrible condition, but I just can't seem to hit the ball as long with ANY club as good golfers can. I'm convinced it's a technique problem, but it's very difficult to find a competent instuctor around here unless you belong to one of the more expensive private clubs.

I knew you were kidding.
Your logic seems very sound to me, and thats why I post back to you.
This is game is very contradicting and full of imcompetencies, mostly from a marketing standpoint. Everyone is repeating falacies wether they are have proven truthful to them or not, like the high launch/ low spin. everyone was teeing up the ball high and falling backwards trying to "bomb" the ball.
Trends associated with teaching pros are even worse. YOU PAY FOR THAT WASTEFUL INFORMATION. Like video analysis. Without conditioning or at least a physical evaluation of flexibilty how can any teacher expect to take a stiff 30+ year old and get them in the same "positions" as a tour pro who has been swinging the club everyday to 12 O'Clock since they were 2.
Whats even more puzzling is the expected results. A teaching pro only expects any student to hit the ball "straight" from these positions. Why wouldn't a carbon copy of a tour pros swing yield in 290yard drives?
A = The same dynamics that are not allowing the average golfer to get into those positions in the first place!
Without large amounts of coiling and tourque and leveraging of that clubhead, not many people should be anywhere near the same positions as a tour pro.
I'm getting a little off topic here, but my point is this game is fickle.
We all at times regurgitate "qoutes" we misguidedly trusted at some point.
Niblick responded back to you
>>Club head speed is something some people just have, imo. Doesn't mean they can play though.<<
He plays to a 21 HC according to his profile. So by logic, if he hits it straight, solid iron shots and has a decent short game but cannot hit it that long...
Where is the logic that backs up what he is regurgitating?
Is qualified to make such a bold statement? Or is he just repeating what he heard from others?
How much of any one type of golfer has any one person watched over the course of their golf lives?
Has anyone followed these golfers around the whole course or played several rounds with these people?

niblick

Jun 13, 2007
People who hit the ball farther have more issues to deal with!
To hit a ball around 300yards, you need roughly 115mph clubhead speed and a solid strike.
Squaring the face of these big headed drivers while swing 110+ mph is very hard to do when you buy a stock driver @ $500 with a ridiculously softer shaft than listed. Most long hacks assume they have been fitted when they go into a local golf store and are handed a new TM with a stiff shaft.
You can also factor in how hard it would be to hit 300 yard drives and keep them in the fairway. Every ball at some point would be out of play if it never came down!
Just because someone can bunt one out 200yards and it is in the fairway all day doesn't mean they can play.

Guess I touched a nerve. Thanks for the equipment fitting lesson.

I'd be hesitant to say someone who hits every fairway can't play, but I'll concede that it's possible.

You're quick to defend longer players, but understand that this thread is about people who crush it and can't score. That doesn't mean that everyone who pounds it sucks.

niblick

Jun 13, 2007
I knew you were kidding.
Niblick responded back to you
>>Club head speed is something some people just have, imo. Doesn't mean they can play though.<<
He plays to a 21 HC according to his profile. So by logic, if he hits it straight, solid iron shots and has a decent short game but cannot hit it that long...
Where is the logic that backs up what he is regurgitating?
Is qualified to make such a bold statement? Or is he just repeating what he heard from others?
How much of any one type of golfer has any one person watched over the course of their golf lives?
Has anyone followed these golfers around the whole course or played several rounds with these people?

Yikes. Not sure what I did to make you mad.

My current handicap is 13. Guess I need to update my profile. :)

You're questioning my "qualifications" to have an opinion. Not going to touch that one. The statement was based on three people I've played with, none of whom can break 90, all of whom I've witnessed hit incredible 300+ yard drives. One of these people plays every weekend, one plays three times a year at best.

It doesn't take a scratch handicap to observe that some people have tremendous clubhead speed naturally. And that ability doesn't ensure them low scores. That's all I said, and it's still true.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
My brother has some insane clubhead speed. While I'm around 103-ish.. He's an easy, 115.. We went into a LM one day for an hour, and he was knockin 118 ball park SS with his driver.

When he connects with one, swinging that fast, the ball just goes, and goes and goes. But he's got a terrible case of the hooks, can't find a fairway half the time, and is always scrambling to get a decent score.

I'm much shorter than him.. 30-50 yards shorter than him, unless he mis-hits and I nut one.

When we look at the score cards.. It's close, but I'm usually on the top end.

None of which means that being long, or short, makes you a better, or worse player. While long guys have trouble controlling it all, shorter guys have to hit longer and often tougher approach shots. When it all comes down to it, the old adage "You don't have to draw a picture on the score card" comes to mind.

Some people just like to pound the balls.. Those guys live for the driver, and don't care about score. I've played with a guy like that. Charles Barkley-esque swing. Ugly as sin. Dude couldn't even tee the ball up the correct height and had his buddy help him. But when he had the ball set right, aimed right, and his ball didn't cut one way or the other, he would send that ball so friggin far, you'd lose sight of it almost. Easily 300+ drives.

Put a putter or iron in his hand, and he was diggin trenches, and it would be 5-7 stroke within 100 yards, generally less, because he'd almost drive a 380 yard par 4. He'd laugh and want to re-tee each time if he didn't just connect with one. That gets old quick.

295yards

May 5, 2009
Yikes. Not sure what I did to make you mad.

My current handicap is 13. Guess I need to update my profile. :)

You're questioning my "qualifications" to have an opinion. Not going to touch that one. The statement was based on three people I've played with, none of whom can break 90, all of whom I've witnessed hit incredible 300+ yard drives. One of these people plays every weekend, one plays three times a year at best.

It doesn't take a scratch handicap to observe that some people have tremendous clubhead speed naturally. And that ability doesn't ensure them low scores. That's all I said, and it's still true.

No worries. I'm not mad at all. Hopefully I have not offended you, that was not my intention, but to merely point out that some things are "just repeated" as I assumed is what you were doing to with your profile HC of 21 and strong words of long is wrong.
You are entitled to your opinion and I would never say you weren't. I only posed the question to challenge your words and how they will be repeated by people without using logic..
It may not be the case with you but it does happen on a very large scale.
It is wrong for me to point this out to people like you who have made very few words on the subject as I look back.
But this is just my opinion and I speak in terms of true communication.
I haven't went anywhere and I'm always open for further discussion.

Of course there are thousands of guys who can hit it far without the ability to play. I do not defend these guys in anyway. Putting a ball deep to a relevatively fair sized target of 30-40yards is not golfing talent. The cup is only 3". We all know that!

About the equipment...I think the equipment industry is tainted! It is geared towards selling length off the tee to everyone. Most everyone needs more loft and flex in a driver since the avg. drive barely exceeds 200yards, so mfg. add loft and flex on a driver to optimize shorter hitters distance without threatening their egos.
In their attempt to "fit" the avg. golfers needs, golfers with swing speeds in excess of 110mph are in suffer the consequences. The stock shafts are too whippy and until just recently I have not seen any X stiff's in stock drivers. Even these "X's" are, once again just to please egos, as they are not true to flex and render useless to legitimate 110mph clubhead speeds.
The market for these guys is not large enough to carry these clubs in drivers as stock items and it would not suit the avg. golfer because against their own good they might buy these clubs since they will have to be marked stiff or X and the true flex has already been monopolized.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.