• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Reflection and necessity...

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Dad died on a Sunday.

I stood there in his room, looking throught the windows at an overcast sky remembering just hours ago we were joking around about Monty Python.

"We're the Knights who say Ni!" struggled from his dry mouth as he cracked a wry smile and forced a laugh that turned into a cough.

Why me? Why US?

Dad was born in 1953, the youngest of 4 brothers. He grew up with hand me downs and being overlooked by his two older brothers who were lawyers, tops in their classes, class Presidents year after year. After getting married, Dad was fortunate enough to have 4 kids, including yours truly. A series of horrible layoffs due to government cutdowns and a move to another city finally created anough stress in the man that his heart wouldn't take it. He developed ulcers trying to do the best for his kids. He then found a good paying job with great benefits that umbrella'd everyone he cared about.

The timing was then perfect for a divorce, one which financially ruined the small nestegg he had saved and had him watching over 4 kids.

Dad went in for routine testing on his heart and kidneys on Saturday, joked with the family about going on a family trip when he got out "Just like we used to."

He died peacefully in his sleep, Sunday Feb 22 2009.

He was 55 years old.

Standing by his bedside were his kids and their families, his brother and his father. Just what he would have wanted.

R35

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
Man I'm sorry to hear that. Will keep my thoughts and prayers with you and your family for sure.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Words dont do much at a time like this, but knowing that people are thinking about you sure helped me.

Here's a toast to your Father, a great, loyal, hardworking man.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
You and your family have my sympathy and condolences Rock. Know we are are thinking of you.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Sorry to hear Rock. Thank you for sharing. Helps put into perspective things I know I tend to take for granted and need to think more about.

I'm sure having the company of his family gave him much peace.

My prayers go out to your family.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
Thomas, my friend, I said a prayer for you, your family, and your father. Know that you're in my thoughts.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
My condolences to you and your family, Rock.

SCGolfer

Jan 12, 2007
My condolences to you and your family Rock.
I am sorry for your loss. We will all be thinking of you.

Jason

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Thomas, this is very sad news. I'm feeling for you buddy. And I'm older then your father so I realize you just never know when your time is up. One thing we are guaranteed of in this life is death and it can happen at any time. Please know I'll be thinking of you and your loss. Jerry

ClairefromClare

Like my balls?
Jul 23, 2008
Rock, I am so sorry. That is way too young. At least he got to know your son, and you'll tell him stories about Grandpa...

bryguy

May 15, 2008
Rock, you are in my prayers. No words I can say will ease your pain, just remember the great times.

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Thanks guys. We're all getting through this one day at a time. As much as it hurts, he's better of now. :)

It's nice having the little guy here to smile and tell me through some spit and babbling baby talk that everything is gonna be ok.

(Just don't tell my brother that I described him on the internet. :thumbs up: I kid...)

Thanks again.

Thomas
Rockford35

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
Thomas,

Words cannot adequately describe how much sorrow I have for you and your family right now...there just simply isn't any words that are good enough right now.

I want you to know that my wife and my thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family....

Take care....

Rory

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.