• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Refurbished Pro V-1 at Target

74 thing

Sep 4, 2008
I was at Target the other day and they had a box of 12 refurbished Pro V-1s for $26. I was hesitant to try them so I passed. Has anyone used them and if so how was the quality?

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Refurbished balls are almost always rubbish. The finish comes off after two swings and it's a b*tch to get off your clubs.

Second chance balls are the way to go if you want to save some coin. Just make sure they haven't been refinished. The odd logo or even a scuff is easier to swallow than paint all over the place, and after one swing, it's basically the same thing, no?

R35

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
Refurbished balls are almost always rubbish. The finish comes off after two swings and it's a b*tch to get off your clubs.

Second chance balls are the way to go if you want to save some coin. Just make sure they haven't been refinished. The odd logo or even a scuff is easier to swallow than paint all over the place, and after one swing, it's basically the same thing, no?

R35

Werd. Academy Sports has recycled (not refurbished) ProV1 dozens for $16.99, and they really aren't in bad shape. One or two scuffs at most, maybe a few marker dots or lines from the original owner.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I've not been impressed by the refurbs. I've had 2 crack and the finish come off a few others very quickly. I just don't trust what's under the paint. I also have a hard time trusting it's a ProV under the paint but that's just me, lol. I've always done OK just to play what I find. I find enough good condition ProV's to keep me going. I like the way they react around the greens but the main reason I play them is because it's the ball I find the most. I like Callaway Tour i and ix's as well. To be honest I actually think the Callaway is slightly better but then again I've probably just had a few lucky shots with them.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
I don't know if it is a used practice somewhere else, but here is very common to buy used balls by the piece in the Pro Shop. This way, in case you run out of "found" balls, you can get some decent balls for around $1 a piece. 70% balls are just crappy Topflight XL3000, but sometimes you can find really good deals. 2/3 of the time I come out with a high end ball like a Pro-V or a One Tour. As well, it gives you the possibility to play balls you would have hesitated on buying a dozen (I would doubt on buying some balls I've never played before at a retail price) like Bridgestone or Srixon balls which aren't that popular although being great balls.

Buying balls that hay has given me the opportunity of playing at least 20-30 different balls, and choosing the one I think its the best to buy by the dozen...:)

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
I've not been impressed by the refurbs. I've had 2 crack and the finish come off a few others very quickly. I just don't trust what's under the paint. I also have a hard time trusting it's a ProV under the paint but that's just me, lol. I've always done OK just to play what I find. I find enough good condition ProV's to keep me going. I like the way they react around the greens but the main reason I play them is because it's the ball I find the most. I like Callaway Tour i and ix's as well. To be honest I actually think the Callaway is slightly better but then again I've probably just had a few lucky shots with them.

Not in your head. The Callaway iX is a better ball. I bought some new 2009 Prov1's when they came out. I still have half a doz. left and I'm not real impressed compared to the other offerings.

Bignose

Oct 23, 2006
internet retailers like lostgolfballs.com and knetgolf.com usually get good reviews and if you search around you can usually find discount codes posted somewhere and/or if you subscribe to their newsletter you will get good deals, too. If you want to play premium balls without the premium prices, I think that these are a good way to go.

I do also think that the 2nd tier of balls in pricing are getting really, really good now. You can buy for $20 a dozen what you would have been happy to pay $40 a dozen for just 6 or 7 years ago.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
Stock up at the end of the year. Now until December.. Everyone is clearing out this years model ball.. Just because the packaging and the stamping might change from year to year.

$29 for all the B330's lines? Fantastic deal. $55 a dozen for the TM TP's? Hard to beat deal.

Titleist are the only retards who never put their balls on sale, which from their sales, don't have too.. But they will soon realize they aren't the hottest ball out there. People play it still because "old" is comfortable.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.