• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

reg flex fly higher than stiff flex?

johnny

Dec 22, 2008
i love my 3wood and 5wood but i hit them a little too low for my liking. thay have stiff shafts. would putting a regular flex shaft in them make the ball fly higher? i have a feeling the time (old age setting in) has come that i need to step down from stiff shafts to regular shafts in general. is "firm" flex somewhere between stiff and reg?

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Yep, great idea. The softer tip will increase spin and launch (more often than not).

One of the biggest misconceptions about FW's is that you need a low, boring shot to "get it there". Try sticking the ball on the green from 240 if it's coming in at Mach 10 and 4 feet off the ground. What you need is hybrid flight, long but soft landing. Obviously, if you play in windy conditions often, this probably isn't your bag, but if you want to pin hunt with a FW, you need some elevation - period.

R35

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Regular in the same shaft should go a little higher. There are plenty of options out there. You could stay stiff and just get a higher launch shaft. What's in them now?

I agree with R35 to an extent and probably is the case for you. If a player generates more ballspeed though, a fw wood will go higher. It's a problem I have with finding a 5W. Can't get a club in that loft that doesn't start ballooning at 175yds..

OP
J

johnny

Dec 22, 2008
Regular in the same shaft should go a little higher. There are plenty of options out there. You could stay stiff and just get a higher launch shaft. What's in them now?

they both have "saquatch diamana mitsubishi rayon etc etc' in them. higher launch shaft has a more flexable tip? i think i like that idea. (i cant believe i'm even talking about tip flex. i used to laugh at hackers like me who did that!)

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Try and track down either an Grafalloy Blue R or an Aldila NVS R and throw that in. Pulls can be had for cheap and they are a great replacement for that POS Diamana that's in the Nike now. :thumbs up:

R35

OP
J

johnny

Dec 22, 2008
Try and track down either an Grafalloy Blue R or an Aldila NVS R and throw that in. Pulls can be had for cheap and they are a great replacement for that POS Diamana that's in the Nike now. :thumbs up:

R35

now you went and hurt my feelings, denigrating my beautiful Nike fairway woods like that. what exactly about that diamana shaft makes it a pos? Nike wouldnt put a real pos on their clubs would they? (i'm being serious). it must be a halfway decent shaft.
regardless, i really like your idea of trying a couple of other higher rated shafts of differing flex. it sounds like fun as well as being educational. i think learning how to reshaft and regrip and other club stuff will be a good summer project.

LBlack14

Enjoy Life!
Supporting Member
May 5, 2008
Ohio
Country
United States United States
I did exactly this. I pulled the stocks and put in regs tipped a bit to firm them up and couldn't be happier.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online