• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Reg Flex Vs. Stiff Flex

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Okay, here's the situation. You have two identical drivers and shafts. One is stiff flex and one is reg flex.

If your swing is too much for the reg flex what happens besides increased dispersion?

If your swing is too little for the stiff flex what happens besides some loss of distance?

I'm looking at shot shape. :)

Thanks.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Given I'm swinging well... If I hit one of Twofast's super X flex drivers, I just hit it too low with too little spin. I hit a 905R with basically an XX flex in it he had. Right up the middle low and ran out to my usual driver distance. With an X it'll always cut, never draw.

Rflex is pretty much the opposite. Hit it too high with too much spin. Tendency is to hit a weird high hook that tails left. Also, if I go after one and try to cut it, I lose it high right. I just cannot get too weak a shaft squared up well at all. I'd probably rather play too stiff than too weak.

This is all based on the bendpoint and tip of the shaft though. I'd do a lot better with an Rflex that had at least the profile for my swing, which would be higher bendpoint, stiffer tip. I've never really hit an X in a shaft made to launch the ball higher. That might be interesting actually.

Esox

Supporting Member
Aug 6, 2008
Okay, here's the situation. You have two identical drivers and shafts. One is stiff flex and one is reg flex.

If your swing is too much for the reg flex what happens besides increased dispersion?

If your swing is too little for the stiff flex what happens besides some loss of distance?

I'm looking at shot shape. :)

Thanks.

You're retired now. Senior Flex. I think the gubment raises your SS payment when you go to a Senior flex. Not sure, but I think so.

Kevin

extremeVFT03

golfaholic
Supporting Member
Apr 22, 2007
Country
i'm now useing reg flex in everything but driver. trying to change that but the only thing i have noticed is i draw it now over fading it. i have lost no distance at all just get up faster and lands softer. i swing about 105 average and i don't think i'll ever use a stiff flex again.

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Okay, same question but two "sets" of these drivers. One set has high kick low launch shafts and other set has low kick high launch shafts...

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
I don't even entertain thoughts of using a stiff flex, regular works just fine thank you very much.

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Yes but some stiff flex play more like reg and some reg flex shafts play more like stiff. They're all different. I'm just looking for clues as to how to tell what happens when it's not right for you. :)

sssmokin

Retired and loving it
Supporting Member
Jul 2, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Country
warbirdlover Re: Reg Flex Vs. Stiff Flex
<hr style="color: rgb(226, 225, 234); background-color: rgb(226, 225, 234);" size="1"> Yes but some stiff flex play more like reg and some reg flex shafts play more like stiff. They're all different. I'm just looking for clues as to how to tell what happens when it's not right for you. :)

The ball hollers out........"wrong flex shaft, you idiot"............as it heads out of bounds.

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
Lets start with-- A ball struck well will be OK with the Regular flex. But any error and that spin will be multiplied as the shaft will have been further torqued the offending direction. Well timed and you can get some very exciting distance. Straight is the issue.

Too stiff and the ball will be straight but low. Distance lost. It will also feel like sh*t.

🔥 Latest posts