• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

REGROOVING YOUR IRONS

Golfbum

THAT'S SOLID
Jan 14, 2005
Has anyone ever taken on old iron and regrooved it? I see Golfsmith has a tool for doing that, I was thinking of buying it. I did take one of my old SW's and regroove it. I used a Dremel tool and those grooves are deep and wide now! Yes I know it is now illegal and I will not be using it for handicap rounds. I am going to try it though to see what it does from 120 in.
So if you have done any thing to your grooves and kept them legal let us know. My scoring irons are getting worn out after playing 400 rounds in 3 years. I hit a lot of 8-SW for 2nd shots at my course so they are wearing. I am likely going to buy new sticks this spring so it is not a big issue with the grooves on my 200 series irons.

OP
Golfbum

Golfbum

THAT'S SOLID
Jan 14, 2005
NO I WANT TO DO IT MYSELF

That's the thing, I want to do it myself. Why pay someone to do what you can do at home? I am going to order the tool and get them done.

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
pay a guy to do it, or pay for a tool, you might use two times your money

OP
Golfbum

Golfbum

THAT'S SOLID
Jan 14, 2005
PAY A PRO?

First off not many CPGA pros do club repairs. Second, not many club repair guys regroove irons. I doubt the cost of the tool would outweigh the cost of paying someone to do the job, if they had to go buy the tool to do it with. Some of us like to do things ourselves if possible. That is why Golfsmith sells so much, people like doing their own repairs, regripping, reshafting etc.

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
Golfbum said:
First off not many CPGA pros do club repairs. Second, not many club repair guys regroove irons. I doubt the cost of the tool would outweigh the cost of paying someone to do the job, if they had to go buy the tool to do it with. Some of us like to do things ourselves if possible. That is why Golfsmith sells so much, people like doing their own repairs, regripping, reshafting etc.
GB. Let me know how the tool works for you. I've been thinking of getting one myself. A lot of old forged clubs could be brought back to like with new grooves.

OP
Golfbum

Golfbum

THAT'S SOLID
Jan 14, 2005
REGROOVING TOOL

bdcrowe said:
GB. Let me know how the tool works for you. I've been thinking of getting one myself. A lot of old forged clubs could be brought back to like with new grooves.

I am no longer going to buy the tool from Golfsmith, I am buying new irons instead. I just want new irons so this is a good excuse. Since my wife does not play golf I can fool her into thinking mine are worn out . After 400 rounds in 3 years the scoring irons are getting worn.
So someone else will have to try it and let you know if it works. I was also told by my local CPGA Pro that a small diamond shaped file will do the trick if done properly.
Me, I am sticking to refinishing metal woods. Easier for me and 100% profit!

🔥 Latest posts