• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Releasing The hands

RoyM

Mar 5, 2009
Can someone clear this up for me, When i take my backswing and on the downswing how am i suppost to release my hands I mean its like a 50/50 shot on timming to rotate my hands just at the right time. Does my rotation of my shoulder do it for me? Or am i suppost to just turn over my hands and pray for timming? Any advice on this would help greatly.

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
ACK!!

YOU don't do anything with your hands. They come along for the free ride!

LET them release and they will release. DOING anything with them introduces tension, and thereby, inconsistency.

You have to give up control to gain control. Let physics do the work for you.

OP
RoyM

RoyM

Mar 5, 2009
I fight a Hook, Draw or a push when trying to control my hands i had no idea your just suppost to let your hand do whatever they wanted .. Maybe this is the Cause of my inconsistant shots.

OP
RoyM

RoyM

Mar 5, 2009
if i grip it to soft ill throw the cub

Riverologist

Jan 27, 2009
if i grip it to soft ill throw the cub

You can have the loosest grip and you won't toss the club as long as you have decent clean grips and a glove.

10 being the hardest you grip the club, you should be gripping at about a 3, maybe 4 at address. As you swing through your grip with naturally tighten but maybe to about a 5 or 6. You should feel like holding baby bird in your hand or holding a tube of toothpaste without the paste coming out the top

Tension in your arms and hands is your worst enemy.

A good indicator if you are gripping too tight is go out and hit a bucket of balls. If your hands get sore (cramping) , tired and start to sweat, you are gripping wayyyyy to hard. Swing loose, in tempo and well balanced.

Honestly, go take lessons and save yourself tons of headache down the road. Let the pro show you a good grip and grip pressure. You won't be disappointed at that investment of a few lessons.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Augster is right. Make a mental note- if Augster says something, it's probably right. He knows his stuff.

It's called a "RELEASE" because you're not holding the club back. If you start down with a decent wrist cock, it will take a brief span of time for the clubhead to accelerate, but when it DOES, it will accelerate past your hands. THAT is the release. The clubhead accelerates exponentially and widens the angle between the shaft and your left forearm from approx 90* to 180* at the hitting area, then beyond.

Your tempo should dictate when the release happens, and a soft grip that doesn't manipulate the club is ideal.

It's not a THROW, it's a RELEASE.

OP
RoyM

RoyM

Mar 5, 2009
Well, I went to the range with the holding a bird idea it worked it took a few swings to get the feel of the club ,Yes ! I could feel the club head for the first time another thing i havent ever done... Once i got my spine angle same back and same forth i was hitting effortless shots the only thing is my distance seems lacking just alittle bit due to me trying not to hold the club tight and loosing some of my speed.. Thanks for the advice guys really helped out alot.

twofast2s

Dec 30, 2006
you can grip the club as tight as you want, w/ your fingers. your wrist and arm should be free of tension, but still should be "engaged" so that you can help the club on plane through out the swing.

your body, particularly your core should be main part that should actively moving, especially transition to your downswing.

if you swing smoothly, you'll make better contact and the ball will eventually go further. i wouldn't worry about distance right now.

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online