• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Repairing ball marks

xmasgolf

Dec 17, 2007
When you are playing does anyone take the time to repair not only their own ball mark but any others.Our starter designates a hole to each of the first 18 groups,usually in order,to repair the marks on 'their' hole.Been doing it for a year now and I think it was a GREAT idea.:)

Fitzpatrick

Good Walk Spoiler
Supporting Member
Dec 19, 2006
Not a bad idea, but if people would repair their ballmark in the first place, it would never come up. If I'm playing alone or if there is no one close behind or ahead of me I will take a couple minutes and repair the big marks (there are some marks that you can't repair, no matter what you do). I just don't get how some people can leave a big divot in the green and just leave it there. Even using a tee to push the grass back in place and press it down with your putter is better than doing nothing. The same goes for spike marks. Some people will drag their spikes across the green and tear up the grass.

OP
X

xmasgolf

Dec 17, 2007
Not a bad idea, but if people would repair their ballmark in the first place, it would never come up. If I'm playing alone or if there is no one close behind or ahead of me I will take a couple minutes and repair the big marks (there are some marks that you can't repair, no matter what you do). I just don't get how some people can leave a big divot in the green and just leave it there. Even using a tee to push the grass back in place and press it down with your putter is better than doing nothing. The same goes for spike marks. Some people will drag their spikes across the green and tear up the grass.
When you say divot do you mean from something other than a ball mark? If so I know exactly how you feel and just once I would like to catch someone 'red handed' doing it:(Chances of them playing here again would be slim and none and slim just left town!We have had soft spike policy in effect for 4 years now,matter of fact there isn't one course around here that allows steel spikes.On the other hand some of the soft spikes can damage worse if dragged because now there is contact of more than just one 'grip/spike' to the greens' surface.

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
I ALWAYS repair mine and any others that I find.

I found one a few moths ago that looked like an artillery shell went off on the green. How no one managed to fix it is beyond me.

West Coast Duffer

Orange County California
Oct 12, 2007
i usually fix mine or others in my line but I usually dont go looking for them unless there pretty obvious, I have seen course where it looks like the Moon and nobody bothers to repair their marks.

OP
X

xmasgolf

Dec 17, 2007
Marks other than mine which are in my line are the direct result of others not not taking 30 seconds while they are waiting to putt to repair the odd one..or heaven forbid two.:real angry::(

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I repair mine of course and occasionally another. I don't carry a tool so just have a tee to use. After repairing mine I'm usually tired of bending over, I leave some massive ones.

jojosasser

May 14, 2007
I repair any ball mark I see while I'm on the green. I played with a guy a couple of times and he would not repair his mark. He said something like "that's what I pay my money for". No, moron, it's not. Some people just don't have a clue.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
I repair my mark and others near where I am located on the green if there is a group behind waiting to play into the green.

If there is no one waiting to play into the green I will repair any mark I find.

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
I always repair at least two ball marks per green.

extremeVFT03

golfaholic
Supporting Member
Apr 22, 2007
Country
i always repair mine and any others if i see them. last year i went to a small 9 hole course right after it rained and some jack*** had slide the cart across there green. i was pissed that someone would have that kind of no care attitude about the course.

todmun

May 22, 2006
I ALWAYS repair mine and any others that i see. I also try to repair or fill any divots in the fairway and on the tee-box ( thats in-between sips of beer of- course)

OP
X

xmasgolf

Dec 17, 2007
I ALWAYS repair mine and any others that i see. I also try to repair or fill any divots in the fairway and on the tee-box ( thats in-between sips of beer of- course)
At one of my courses,( and one other one could afford it as well,but I'm working on them to),They have containers at the first tee which you can put a sand and seed mixture in.The container has a hanger on it which fits on most push/pull carts.Now here's the $ part.The pro shop will give you a cart at no charge if the container won't fit on your cart.If you were planning on carrying but think the divot idea is good they will give you a free cart!:laugh: I talked to the head pro about the cost and he smiled at me and said'For $4 we are getting a part time grounds crew person who would get $14 an hour and who do you think is more dedicated to filling divots.The member is!!!! p.s. This free cart rental lasts from May till Sept.

goatster

SUPER SOAKER
Feb 20, 2005
i allways repair mine and any others i see.(i dont walk around looking for them but if i see them)its just something that i was tought as i was learning the game.a buddy of mine who just started playing in think i have atleast instilled the idea of fixing his own.although it wasnt hard as he dosent leave many ball marks.the first time he actually left a mark he was excited and asked me for my "dent puller".

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
Ball marks on the green are a huge pet peeve of mine. I always repair my own and any one I see on the green.

🔥 Latest posts