• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Repairing ball marks

fredcouplesfan

bring da lulz
Jun 4, 2005
Ball marks on the green are a huge pet peeve of mine. I always repair my own and any one I see on the green.
Me too!!! Nothing pisses me off more than to walk up to a green and prepare for my putt and see huge marks all over the green.

sandwedge

Oct 19, 2006
I always fix mine and any that might be in the line of my putt. Sometimes I will try to fix any that are really big.

todmun

May 22, 2006
At one of my courses,( and one other one could afford it as well,but I'm working on them to),They have containers at the first tee which you can put a sand and seed mixture in.The container has a hanger on it which fits on most push/pull carts.Now here's the $ part.The pro shop will give you a cart at no charge if the container won't fit on your cart.If you were planning on carrying but think the divot idea is good they will give you a free cart!:laugh: I talked to the head pro about the cost and he smiled at me and said'For $4 we are getting a part time grounds crew person who would get $14 an hour and who do you think is more dedicated to filling divots.The member is!!!! p.s. This free cart rental lasts from May till Sept.
That is a great idea!

Jun 24, 2006
I sometimes have to be pulled off the green by my partners after we putt out. It's not unussual for me to fix 5-6 on a green. And any other little bumps that can be smoothed out.

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
I'll fix some up because that's the only way I get to use my vastly overpriced, gen-u-wine, certified authentic SCOTTY CAMERON PIVOT TOOL.

I can't believe there's a 2 page thread about ball marks, it's even sadder that I posted in it. One day off work & I'm getting cabin fever. :(

OP
X

xmasgolf

Dec 17, 2007
I'll fix some up because that's the only way I get to use my vastly overpriced, gen-u-wine, certified authentic SCOTTY CAMERON PIVOT TOOL.

I can't believe there's a 2 page thread about ball marks, it's even sadder that I posted in it. One day off work & I'm getting cabin fever. :(
What is sadder is when we pay $$$ for a tournament and face the same thing.Sometimes the smallest things in golf turn into the biggest.I can remember a few times missing the rent cheque because some idiot didn't know the proper way to fix .....ah never mind,it's Xmas:laugh:.lol

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
At one of my courses,( and one other one could afford it as well,but I'm working on them to),They have containers at the first tee which you can put a sand and seed mixture in.The container has a hanger on it which fits on most push/pull carts.Now here's the $ part.The pro shop will give you a cart at no charge if the container won't fit on your cart.If you were planning on carrying but think the divot idea is good they will give you a free cart!:laugh: I talked to the head pro about the cost and he smiled at me and said'For $4 we are getting a part time grounds crew person who would get $14 an hour and who do you think is more dedicated to filling divots.The member is!!!! p.s. This free cart rental lasts from May till Sept.

The majority of courses around here don't have the mixture or if they even have the containers near the greens they are empty. A few of the nicer ones in the Dells area actually have the containers filled & hanging on the powered carts. Have never seen anyone with a container on a push/pull cart although it sounds like a good idea.

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
Great thread.

Guys, pitchmarks on greens really irritates me. I played today and there were several, at least, on every single green. My mate and I repaired loads, even more than a dozen on some holes.

I can even remember one of the caddies in my club telling me he repaired about 80 on our 17th green one time. It is this time of year that they become more plentiful; when the course is running shorter and more people that don't tend to hit greens in the summer are pitching on the green and do not tend to then repair their plugmark. That and sheer and utter laziness would tend to be the main reasons for it not happening.

I will ALWAYS get mine and at least one other, nevermind one or two that happen to be in my line of putt. If everyone could do that then there wouldn't be an issue.

I have also known some clubs in Northern Ireland to introduce measures such as putting particular groups in charge of certain holes during competitions.

MY club needs to make people more aware of this problem. When I worked in the Pro Shop at my club I would often look to see if people would repair their pitchmark. I was very disappointed at times as I myself would actively look for any marks, whereas they just parked their bags or trolleys and went to putt. At times, I saw myself going outside and repairing the pitchmark that had been created by the previous group of golfers.

OP
X

xmasgolf

Dec 17, 2007
The majority of courses around here don't have the mixture or if they even have the containers near the greens they are empty. A few of the nicer ones in the Dells area actually have the containers filled & hanging on the powered carts. Have never seen anyone with a container on a push/pull cart although it sounds like a good idea.
The carts I speak of are the Rikshaws,(spell it right?,prob not.lol),and they have a wide cross piece which the "hook" hangs on.Glad you like the idea.It took me a year of bit**ing to get up and running.:(

OP
X

xmasgolf

Dec 17, 2007
Great thread.

Guys, pitchmarks on greens really irritates me. I played today and there were several, at least, on every single green. My mate and I repaired loads, even more than a dozen on some holes.

I can even remember one of the caddies in my club telling me he repaired about 80 on our 17th green one time. It is this time of year that they become more plentiful; when the course is running shorter and more people that don't tend to hit greens in the summer are pitching on the green and do not tend to then repair their plugmark. That and sheer and utter laziness would tend to be the main reasons for it not happening.

I will ALWAYS get mine and at least one other, nevermind one or two that happen to be in my line of putt. If everyone could do that then there wouldn't be an issue.

I have also known some clubs in Northern Ireland to introduce measures such as putting particular groups in charge of certain holes during competitions.

MY club needs to make people more aware of this problem. When I worked in the Pro Shop at my club I would often look to see if people would repair their pitchmark. I was very disappointed at times as I myself would actively look for any marks, whereas they just parked their bags or trolleys and went to putt. At times, I saw myself going outside and repairing the pitchmark that had been created by the previous group of golfers.
Nice to see someone else on the same page.:laugh: Have a great Xmas and 2008!

gregfletch

Aug 20, 2006
I always repair mine and will look for others and repair them as well. I think this is very important to do and a way to show respect for the game and other players. Sadly, I don't see a lot of others taking the small amount of time to do this....

clint

Aug 17, 2006
With reckless abandon, random placement, and a swift wood splitting motion, I usually bang the head of my putter into the green ten or twenty times. :)

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
With reckless abandon, random placement, and a swift wood splitting motion, I usually bang the head of my putter into the green ten or twenty times. :)
Make sure you spin the wheels on the cart as you are exiting the green.:laugh:

Don't laugh - I saw someone actually drive a cart onto a green to replace the flagstick. Talk about dumbstruck!

Jun 24, 2006
We only have the sand and seed boxes on each tee box.

Nights that I close the shop early I'll usually head out and fill all the divots I can, pick up all the broken tees and put them in the broken tee cup, and have an eye out for garbage on the course.

I think I like my job/coures too much. But it's nice to have people come back and say it's well groomed and clean. Makes them feel a little less pissed about what we charged them to play 9 holes.:laugh:

OP
X

xmasgolf

Dec 17, 2007
We only have the sand and seed boxes on each tee box.

Nights that I close the shop early I'll usually head out and fill all the divots I can, pick up all the broken tees and put them in the broken tee cup, and have an eye out for garbage on the course.

I think I like my job/coures too much. But it's nice to have people come back and say it's well groomed and clean. Makes them feel a little less pissed about what we charged them to play 9 holes.:laugh:
You close up shop yet out on course working?anyone on the till?:hunter:

🔥 Latest posts