• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Reshaft fairway woods?

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
Currently playing Titleist 980F 15* & 19* with Rifle Precision Lite 5.0 steel shafts. Love the clubs, especially the sound of a well struck ball, I need a little more distance. I'm only hitting the 19* 200 yards and the 15* 215 yards.

How much distance could I gain going to a graphite shaft in these clubs and which one?

ProjectX

They said it'd get better
Sep 1, 2004
Currently playing Titleist 980F 15* & 19* with Rifle Precision Lite 5.0 steel shafts. Love the clubs, especially the sound of a well struck ball, I need a little more distance. I'm only hitting the 19* 200 yards and the 15* 215 yards.

How much distance could I gain going to a graphite shaft in these clubs and which one?

Not nearly enough information to make any suggestions at all. That being said, if you like the ball flight you're getting now and are getting those numbers, you're well ahead of many.

Honestly, in order to establish even the most marginal baseline, you need to have a pretty good understanding of what the ball is doing and what your swing is doing to make the ball do what it is doing.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Steel shafts are common in FW as they are consistent in terms of accuracy over graphite. Graphite is lighter, increasing your SS some.

Have you thought of going to a lighter steel shaft? TT makes the TX-90 at super light weights.

R35

OP
SiberianDVM

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
The other fairways I had (and sold) were Hogan C455s, same lofts, but with the Aldila NV-H(ogan) 70 R graphite shafts. As I remember I hit them about 10 yards further, but with the occasional big-ass hook.

I see Rifle has some graphite fairway shafts. Hmmmmmm.

I'll see how I do in our Atlgolfer, chollyred, & DouginGA matchup. :) If I get smoked, I'm gonna be reshafting these babies.

OP
SiberianDVM

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
Sept 17th at Cherokee Run, in Conyers, GA, a Palmer design. If we can get a tee time.

I plan on cheating...a lot. :D

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Sounds like it. ;)

If you go graphite, get something a bit heavier. It acts a bit like steel in the accuracy front, but still retains that distance giving of graphite.

R35

atlgolfer

Aug 9, 2006
Well, you won't have to worry about getting smoked by me. I'm not a long hitter or accurate but I can score decently enough, thank God.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I had a 3-wood shafted with an old faithful TT-Lite. It was a great club, with plenty of distance. I think you would be better off taking Rock's advice and getting a lighter weight steel shaft. I'm stongly considering putting a steel shaft into my Launcher 4-wood. I was going to go with the TT-Lite, but I'll take a look at the TX-90 that Rock spoke of.

Could it be that the Rifle 5.0 is too stiff? Maybe a Rifle 4.5 would give you back the distance you're looking for.

jc@bg

Style guru
Sep 10, 2004
I have the 80-gram Accuflex VS-02 shafts in my fairway woods, by far the most accurate and consistent setup I've ever used (been playing 40 years). They don't produce quite the distance of say, a 65-gram shaft, but all of the distance they do produce is in a straight line...often helpful on the golf course. This shaft was discontinued this year, but is still pretty readily available and discounted. The Icon FH is another very popular Accuflex fairway shaft, at 85 grams.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
The Icon FH is another very popular Accuflex fairway shaft, at 85 grams.

I'm going with these in my fairways this spring. Just too much positive feedback on them to think otherwise.

R35

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.