• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Reshafting my irons... some advice needed.

TheWOAT

Sep 26, 2006
I found a dent in the shaft of my PW, so Ive decided to reshaft the 3-PW and maybe a couple other clubs. My main questions are... how much epoxy will I need to reshaft 10 clubs. How much grip solvent will I need? Will a pipe cutter (plumber style) work to cut steel shafts? And finally, What is the over/under on the amount of clubs I will screw up?
Thanks

Ive browsed through golfworks.com and will try to go step by step with the videos, and will purchase some drill bits to clean out the hosel, along with a hacksaw attachment for graph shafts. I think Im ready to jump in. :laugh:

Finally...
Which is the better quality of these 3 shafts..
1. TRUE TEMPER MULTI-STEP LITE STEEL IRON SHAFTS $4.25 each
TRUE TEMPER MULTI-STEP LITE STEEL IRON SHAFTS
2. FST PRO SILVER STEEL IRON SHAFTS $6.50 each
FST PRO SILVER STEEL IRON SHAFTS
3. FST PRO BLACK LITE STEEL IRON SHAFTS $5.35 each
FST PRO BLACK LITE STEEL IRON SHAFTS

Any other shaft recommendations (under $8 each)?

Thank

footballking732

BURNER BABY!!
Sep 2, 2006
well since nobody else is gonna try.. ill take a crack at it...

i can only tell you about the regrip part... but there are some good instructions about reshafting if you search, especially with steel shafts in irons.. graphite in woods are harder...

for the regripping head over to amazon, or golfsmith.com... ive done 7 clubs with golf pride decades(best grip ever) and used very little solvent...

a quart of grip solvent will be plenty.. you can recycle it, just catch the excess in a ice cream pail or what i use, a hot and sour chinese soup plastic cup thingy... :)

Amazon.com: Grip Solvent 1 Quart 160: Sports & Outdoors

amazon has grips also for a good price... decades for like $6 each...

then you need 2 inch double sided tape... i use the vertical style of wrapping, its MUCH MUCH easier... :)

Amazon.com: Two-Sided Tape- 2 Inch X 18 Yards: Sports & Outdoors

there are amazing instructions at golfsmiths website... just follow them exactly and you are fine...

and one tip... keep your hands and the outside of the grip free from touching the solvent.. if either of them get wet, its impossible to slide the grip onto the club...

if the grip doesnt slide on like cutting thru hot butter... STOP!! it should slide on sooo easy... :) if you try to slide it on with force, and all your strength, you will stretch the grip, and end up having to cut it off and waste a $6 grip...

OP
T

TheWOAT

Sep 26, 2006

Thanks for the tips, I appreciate it.

Anyone with experience in reshafting, how much Epoxy I would need to reshaft 10 clubs? and recommend to me an iron shaft under $8 with mid flight, not too heavy, and most important of all, good quality and consistency?

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
I've heard a wet tile saw works great on graphite shafts if you have one

I've also cut steel shafts with a plumbing pipe cutter and can tell you it's easier to cut copper than it is to cut steel but it works

I've read some good things about the FST shafts lately and I think Lyle (our expert) recently called them a great value.

instead of grip tape and solvent, look into gripping with air - there's some videos showing how easy it is, and you can remove them easily and mess around with weights if you chose without wasting the grip

good luck

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
United States United States
Thanks for the tips, I appreciate it.

Anyone with experience in reshafting, how much Epoxy I would need to reshaft 10 clubs? and recommend to me an iron shaft under $8 with mid flight, not too heavy, and most important of all, good quality and consistency?

I just reshafted about 24 irons two weekends ago and I doubt that we used 1/3 of a Dixie cup worth of epoxy. We just mixed it up and used a toothpick to spread it on. There are others on here who have much, much more experience than I, they will be better help, but the point is, you really don't need much epoxy.

OP
T

TheWOAT

Sep 26, 2006
Cool , thanks. I am on a limited budget, mostly because I have to save $ for a wedding and honeymoon, so Im trying to cut costs for this project, so every dollar saved helps (mostly so my wife doesnt get too mad :p).

As for the shafts, Ill probably get some FST Pro Black/Pro Black lites. Now all I need is to borrow someone's garage...

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
Don't forget to order the ferrules when you order the shafts

it's stupid to pay for shipping again for a $0.50 part - or $4 for a dozen

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I have reshafted my Hogan irons, and just recently pulled the Rifles out and will be putting in DG's. I bought an 80z thing of epoxy and have yet to scratch the surface in using it all. As for grip solvent, I bought a quart about 2yrs ago and have regripped about 30 clubs with half the quart, as you get better at it you can use less solvent. Ferrules are cheap, so get a dozen and nothing works better on steel shafts than a pipe cutter, I got mine at ace for about $4. All told the most important piece of the whole puzzle was a good stable vise. I bought one that hooks to my kitchen table, before I had a garage to work in.

Minus the shafts, I spent about $30 total for all the epoxy, ferruls, pipe cutter and solvent. Like I said I still have most of the epoxy and solvent left. It was surprisingly easy to reshaft, as long as they are steel shafts...

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I just reshafted about 24 irons two weekends ago and I doubt that we used 1/3 of a Dixie cup worth of epoxy. We just mixed it up and used a toothpick to spread it on. There are others on here who have much, much more experience than I, they will be better help, but the point is, you really don't need much epoxy.

WHile this is good advice, there's no such thing as "too much" epoxy. I'd rather have the head hold like a mofo as opposed to have to go looking for the head out on the range.

Just my 2 cents. ;)

If you check the clubmaking section of the Golfsmith site, there are videos, stills and step by step procedures on all of what you're looking at. Very informative site.

R35

Harleyjerz

Mar 10, 2024
Country
United States United States
I found a dent in the shaft of my PW, so Ive decided to reshaft the 3-PW and maybe a couple other clubs. My main questions are... how much epoxy will I need to reshaft 10 clubs. How much grip solvent will I need? Will a pipe cutter (plumber style) work to cut steel shafts? And finally, What is the over/under on the amount of clubs I will screw up?
Thanks

Ive browsed through golfworks.com and will try to go step by step with the videos, and will purchase some drill bits to clean out the hosel, along with a hacksaw attachment for graph shafts. I think Im ready to jump in. :laugh:

Finally...
Which is the better quality of these 3 shafts..
1. TRUE TEMPER MULTI-STEP LITE STEEL IRON SHAFTS $4.25 each
TRUE TEMPER MULTI-STEP LITE STEEL IRON SHAFTS
2. FST PRO SILVER STEEL IRON SHAFTS $6.50 each
FST PRO SILVER STEEL IRON SHAFTS
3. FST PRO BLACK LITE STEEL IRON SHAFTS $5.35 each
FST PRO BLACK LITE STEEL IRON SHAFTS

Any other shaft recommendations (under $8 each)?

Thank
From experience I reshafted a Ping Zinc 1 iron with a True Temper Multi Step Lite shaft with great success I use it off the tee with real good results but I was 70 at the time, with a slower swing speed, my suggestion to you is obtain a golfworks catalog that step by step shows how to replace a golf shaft and you have to determine wether your existing shafts are tapered .355 or parallel.370 I did not realize this when I reshafted the Ping 1 iron which is a .355 tapered multi step lite shafts are only parallel I had to drill out the ping hosel 3/8” which was a little difficult but it all worked. I would not recommend this

🔥 Latest posts