• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Reshafting ping eye 2 irons

Harleyjerz

Mar 10, 2024
Country
United States United States
I have a complete set of ping eye 2 irons and I’m going to remove the stiff high bend point Ping ZZlite shafts and replacing the 3-PW with True Temper Dyna Lite gold regular low bend point shafts, I’m 73 yrs old and have lost alot of distance the last 3 yrs ir so, lookin for pros or cons

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
First off, welcome to the forum. To the point, have you hit with the TT regulars before? I'd suggest trying it out before reshafting an entire set. But my guess is that a regular flex with a low kick point would be ideal for a lower swing speed.

OP
H

Harleyjerz

Mar 10, 2024
Country
First off, welcome to the forum. To the point, have you hit with the TT regulars before? I'd suggest trying it out before reshafting an entire set. But my guess is that a regular flex with a low kick point would be ideal for a lower swing speed.
Thank you for the reply. Tea Time. I just purchased the ping eye 2 , 3-PW while waiting to receive them I got online to see if I could purchase True Temper Dynalite gold tapered shafts, I may have purchased the only new not pulled used in existence, as you suggested I had already decided to wait until I actually played a few rounds with the ZZlite shafts, I was hoping to hear back from someone who has reshafted ping eye 2 with regular low bend point shafts, I also own a full 1-LW ping zing irons that I’ve played the last 3 yrs, I reshafted 2-LW with True Temper TTlite regular shafts and the 1 iron I replaced the ping stiff KTM shaft with a True Temper Multi Step Lite in a senior figuration that I hit extremely well off the tee and halfway decent off the fairway.

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
I have probably reshafted 20+ sets of PING EYE2 and EYE 2+ irons over the last 20 years for myself and friends (at least one member here). Most of the sets for me were changed from ZZLite steel to graphite. Many of the steel reshafts were to TT Lite XL, but most were to PING AWT (made by Nippon for PING). Several things I've learned:
1. PING EYE 2 irons play and feel their BEST (IMO) with the stock ZZ Lite shafts. That marriage was awesome.
2. Eye 2 heads are LIGHT. When reshafting to graphite or a lighter steel shaft, you may have to add weight or final shaft length to achieve the feel you want.
3. Boring out the hosels to .370 is EZ and gives you a plethora of shaft choices.
4. No ferrules makes life ez as well.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Steve

OP
H

Harleyjerz

Mar 10, 2024
Country
I have probably reshafted 20+ sets of PING EYE2 and EYE 2+ irons over the last 20 years for myself and friends (at least one member here). Most of the sets for me were changed from ZZLite steel to graphite. Many of the steel reshafts were to TT Lite XL, but most were to PING AWT (made by Nippon for PING). Several things I've learned:
1. PING EYE 2 irons play and feel their BEST (IMO) with the stock ZZ Lite shafts. That marriage was awesome.
2. Eye 2 heads are LIGHT. When reshafting to graphite or a lighter steel shaft, you may have to add weight or final shaft length to achieve the feel you want.
3. Boring out the hosels to .370 is EZ and gives you a plethora of shaft choices.
4. No ferrules makes life ez as well.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Steve
Thanks Steve. I am going to play a few rounds with the stock ZZlite shafts and my first Ping reshaft was a 1 iron zing that was my first introduction to tapered shafts, I didn’t have any, so I did bore out the hosel to .370, it worked out fine but, I’d rather use tapered shafts. I may take you up on a Ping Tech line source, thanks. Jerzy

OP
H

Harleyjerz

Mar 10, 2024
Country
Thank you for the reply. Tea Time. I just purchased the ping eye 2 , 3-PW while waiting to receive them I got online to see if I could purchase True Temper Dynalite gold tapered shafts, I may have purchased the only new not pulled used in existence, as you suggested I had already decided to wait until I actually played a few rounds with the ZZlite shafts, I was hoping to hear back from someone who has reshafted ping eye 2 with regular low bend point shafts, I also own a full 1-LW ping zing irons that I’ve played the last 3 yrs, I reshafted 2-LW with True Temper TTlite regular shafts and the 1 iron I replaced the ping stiff KTM shaft with a True Temper Multi Step Lite in a senior figuration that I hit extremely well off the tee and halfway decent off the fairway.
Good morning. So as I’ve already stated I will play a few rounds with the stock ZZlite shaft configuration but I have 8 True Temper Dynalite gold shafts in stock and being the tinkerer that I am they are not going to be tucked away in a box all summer, I will remove the stock shafts and install the Dynalite’s with golf shaft epoxy that I believe has a lower temp breakoff compared to the JB Weld Quick epoxy that I normally use, so that I’ll be able to reinstall the stock shafts, even though the swing weight is going to be a little lower it shouldn’t be a problem for a hacker as myself and the lower bend point regular shafts will hopefully create a higher flying ball that will increase my distance the negative side may be accuracy, I believe thats why Mr Solheim used only stiff high bend point shafts, we’ll see what happens.

OP
H

Harleyjerz

Mar 10, 2024
Country
Hey There Folks. I am a new member and I don’t really mean to beat this Old Dog to death, just passing on my last bit of info on the Ping Eye 2 iron reshaft, as perfect as the Ping irons are in they’re original configuration for some golfers as myself., 73 yrs old, lost alot of strength in the last 3 yrs or so, the shafts are just too stiff, bend point too high, went to the only driving range open, hit 25 balls, very little feedback on even what I thought were the best hits, that evening, I reshafted 3-5 next day 6-W, hit 25 more the next day, great feedback on all but 2 hits, very nice high ball flight, felt like hitting a hardball with a Louisville Slugger, so if you’re older wondering should you, do it! Glad I did. Yours Truly. Jerzy Pawlowski

Staff online

Members online